Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS loan to Peterborough

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
funny old game footy. GM signing for a reported 3 million on a permanent deal CMS on loan to Peterborough. That was one huge **** up by the club/poyet.....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] is right, CMS goes down as a shocking failure. He was here 3 seasons I think. The first season he scored 11 goals. Granted, the one at Burnley was magnificent - but overall he didn't pull up any trees.

After that he managed just 8 more goals in 2 seasons mainly because he had a horrific injury that put him out for months.

Considering he was our record signing £2.5-3.25m and his main asset was supposed to be scoring goals, he was a total failure. So it is ironic that his stand out contribution wasn't even a goal he scored, but an absolutely sublime cross for Ulloa to head us into the playoffs, a goal that sent Reading fans into delirium (feel free to post that YouTube video, it never gets boring).

I will try to remember him for that moment, as I really don't like the idea of thinking we spent £3,000,000 on a player with all the skill and control of your average Sunday league player.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I'm probably reading this wrong but you are not suggesting that Baldock is prolific are you?

Oh no, far from it! I mean CMS was more in the Baldock/Barnes ilk, of contributing a lot to the team without scoring many goals of his own.

Don't get me wrong, he certainly failed to deliver on the big price tag and the expectation that came with it. I just think to say he was a complete failure is a little harsh.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think we are so hard on him because we wanted him to succeed so much, he is a top black is put to n the effort but never had the confidence to adapt his game to the championship. Hope he does well at Peterborough!

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Peterborough fans not happy with his injury record...but he's promised to pay back his loan wages if he doesn't play.

He delivered his own child.

Has Barry Fry as a father-in-law.

Always last off the pitch at the Amex, giving us a clap.

THAT cross at Forest.

Ran himself into the ground every game.

Invented his own Seagull celebration.

Only Albion player with a Depeche Mode song.

So much to respect and admire, but yes, as a striker, playing in a system that didn't suit him - that was a huge outlay for not much return.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Never understood this one.

Poyet watched him at Peterborough, up front with McLean, predominantly as a poacher, or a similar role to SB.

Poyet signs him for a record fee, plays him up front by himself or in midfield.

:shootself

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He should have been played up front with Barnes, but we didn't have the right player to fit in on the left, so Barnes was sacrificed to play there.
CMS first season, he scored 11 for us. That's not a bad return for someone who'd never played in the Championship before.

To be fair he had played in the second tier for Peterbore, and did rather lukewarmly..... 11 goals.

2009–10[76] Championship 43 10 1 0 3 1 — 47 11

That said, I agree with those who say he had no role in Poyet's peculiar defensive alignments as a target man.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Gus has to shoulder a share of responsibility for CMS not succeeding here. Totally the wrong player at the right time.
The fact that CMS 2nd touch was usually a tackle didn't help his cause much either.
Couldn't imagine CH making such a poor signing as this!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Big difference. Harley cost 250k. Not 3 million. CMS scored over 30 goals before he joined us. He came with a good reputation. Yes he was a failure

No, we failed him. He came to us from Peterborough at a time when they were playing explosive attacking football in a marauding style with a midfield led by Boyd running at teams at pace, CMS fitted into that style perfectly. We then solved a square peg into a round hole by playing a vastly different style and expected him to be as effective - was never going to work for him, or us!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No, we failed him. He came to us from Peterborough at a time when they were playing explosive attacking football in a marauding style with a midfield led by Boyd running at teams at pace, CMS fitted into that style perfectly. We then solved a square peg into a round hole by playing a vastly different style and expected him to be as effective - was never going to work for him, or us!
We all witnessed him missing sitters the chances were there he just didn't have the ability and the first touch was shocking at times.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've never known a player to achieve so little but retain the faith or so many key people.
Also , the reason he was so 'likeable' at Albion (last off the pitch etc) was a ploy to deflect from his pss poor performances.
Oh, and we didn't fail him. He simply lacked the coordination to score goals

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You can tell we are doing well when people drag up old arguments and slag off former players just to look COOL.

Its history, I would argue we are in a far better position today than we may have been had Gus taken us up that year.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I've never known a player to achieve so little but retain the faith or so many key people.
Also , the reason he was so 'likeable' at Albion (last off the pitch etc) was a ploy to deflect from his pss poor performances.

But he scored goals with Peterborough, so he obviously had coordination then, or Were the 80 goals he scored for them all flukes that bounced off him on the way to goal...

A strikers role is so much about confidence and a team playing to a players strengths - lone striker wasn't right for him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Didn't he go on loan to Peterborough from us as well? Surely he'll be non-league before too long. Back at Dagenham?

He may do well back at Posh, the team with whom he made his name of course, and with his father-in-law as director of football. They know him well and still revere him there.

Funny how things go full circle in football sometimes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Oh come on, that really is harsh, especially your second paragraph, do you really believe that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here