Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 killed and many injured in shooting at mosque in Quebec, Canada

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Muslims attacking muslims and leaving pigs heads? I've checked a few news outlets and can't find any that say the assailants shouted allah akbar.

A witness, who refused to be identified, told Radio Canada that one of the attackers shouted “Allahu akbar” as he opened fire.

“One started shooting. As soon as he opened fire he shouted, ‘Allahu akbar!’ (God is great!) The bullets reached people who were praying. People who prayed lost their lives. As for myself, the bullet passed over my head,” the witness said, adding the attackers “seemed to have a very good Québec accent.”

https://www.rt.com/news/375554-quebec-city-mosque-shooting/

Tis a Russian site so unsure of it's validity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
My guess would be French Canadians. Nobody suggesting this is mental illness yet then?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Very odd one although Muslims have been at war with each other for centuries and that won't change....Its inevitable that this will spread around the world as the world is becoming to open for everyone and religious wars will never end.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My guess would be French Canadians. Nobody suggesting this is mental illness yet then?
Yeah strange isn't it? Perhaps if reports start coming in that they were for some reason Muslim themselves, they will magically transform into 'mentally ill' people.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
CVDhRdqWEAAcw37.jpg:large

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What's become so depressing is the eagerness from both the left and the right for the perpetrators to be their preferred villain. The anti-Trump media was cockahoop that initial reports had the terrorists down as white Canadians and the BBC left a heavy hint with references to a pig's head being left at the mosque last year. The Daily Beast even fell for a fake news site and proudly announced it was the work of Trump-enabled white supremacists. Al-Jazeera went into meltdown. And then when the Canadian police stalled on releasing the names of the suspects (usually a very good sign that it's Islamic terrorists) and the facts started to fit the narrative of the alt-right, they went into overdrive.

The media (esp the US media) is in a very sorry state right now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

That's all b*llocks though, isn't it? It got to be the case that practically every terror-related incident on German soil last year was blamed on mental illness. It's not about the colour of the skin rather than certain people hearing about an attack and wishing it to be a white/Middle eastern (delete where applicable) and explaining it away when they get it wrong.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's all b*llocks though, isn't it? It got to be the case that practically every terror-related incident on German soil last year was blamed on mental illness. It's not about the colour of the skin rather than certain people hearing about an attack and wishing it to be a white/Middle eastern (delete where applicable) and explaining it away when they get it wrong.
This. That cartoon is way way off the mark. Every time there was a terrorist attack in France or Germany last year, it seemed the BBC led with 'mentally ill'.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It was a group of right wing conservatives that were gunned down. Or did you miss that bit?

You're on the ball :rolleyes:

What does it matter who was shot? A Libertarian should espouse the view that everyone is able to live their lives how they see fit without interference from others, yet here you are seemingly finding rationale for a killing because people are feeling 'disenfranchised' by the presence of a muslims in their community

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
He's come out and told the world all refugees are welcome. Given most people who commit such crimes see new arrivals as threats to their way of life combine that with Canada's rising employment rate and it's possible you've got some disaffected group of people lashing out in the worst kind of way.

So, rising employment is a bad thing now?
I'm getting very confused by this new Right wing world

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What does it matter who was shot? A Libertarian should espouse the view that everyone is able to live their lives how they see fit without interference from others, yet here you are seemingly finding rationale for a killing because people are feeling 'disenfranchised' by the presence of a muslims in their community

Who gives a crap about left or right, you're the one who brought it into the conversation. I couldn't give a toss about your political views yet here you are waffling on about mine.

How dare I consider a rationale that's been relevant for hundreds of years when it comes to violence against immigrants.

All of which has **** all to do with any Libertarian thought. That would only be relevant if I'd stated I supported them being shot, which of course I did not.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
According to this site (no idea of it's validity) they have named two suspects.

Two suspects, Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir, were taken into custody after the shooting, police told reporters at the scene.

Bissonnette, 27, is a native of Quebec, while Khadir, who is in his 20s or 30s, is of Moroccan descent, TVA News reports.

A source told Radio-Canada both suspects are students at Université Laval, a French-language, public college in Quebec City. There are about 28,500 undergraduate students and 8,500 graduate students attending the school.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/01/quebe...-shooter-gunman-photos-video-injuries-deaths/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here