Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prevent Donald Trump from making a state visit to the United Kingdom - petition

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My daughter lives in the USA. Her immigration status is currently "subject to review" although that didn't stop her participating in last week's womens march. We spoke yesterday and both agreed that banning Trump from the UK would, however satisfying, be counterproductive in too many respects.
Invite him over. Pander to his ego.
Don't appease but work positively to persuade him to change policies. You will never change the man and that man is poisonous and vindictive.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What about the 98% who think these petitions are a total waste of time?

They probably are a total waste of time, but it can give you an illusion of actually doing something.

And there is probably more than the remaining 2%, according to your numbers, who have already signed it anyway.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Then you went on to say the word ban. Nobody is asking for him to be banned from the UK. The petition is asking for a normal trade visit not a state visit.

For Pete's sake, Thunderbolt, do you and others think that relegating Trump's visit would be in this country's interest?
What would it achieve, in the big scheme of government machinations, that go on all the time between countries? I suppose it might make the outraged feel that bit better about themselves and that is about all.
Yes, besides the fact that I was misquoted to make a point, I did mention the 'ban' word.You can bet your bottom dollar that many who have signed a petition to prevent a state visit, would love to see him banned as well.
Why snub our greatest ally, just as we try and enter the brave new post EU world, needing all the help we can get to set up trade deals. Great idea.
Whatever the lily livered and the not so lily livered feel about Trump, he is not Kim Jong-un and we will have to get on with it and engage in constructive talks about all matters of concern and indeed where we agree.
I am certain that there are better brains, than those possessed by me and you, looking at the big picture and are not to be swayed by populist petitions.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For Pete's sake, Thunderbolt, why do you and others think that relegating Trump's visit would be in this country's interest?
What would it achieve, in the big scheme of government machinations, that go on all the time between countries?
Yes, besides the fact that I was misquoted to make a point, I did mention the 'ban' word.You can bet your bottom dollar that many who have signed a petition to prevent a state visit, would love to see him banned as well.
Yes, snub our greatest ally, just as we try and enter the brave new post EU world, needing all the help we can get to set up trade deals. Great idea.
Whatever the lily livered feel about Trump, he is not Kim Jong-un and we will have to get on with it.

There's presumption summed up in a single sentence. You haven't got a clue what people's motive is for signing the petition, but presume you do, because it fits in with your opinion.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
This is fake news.
Trump has placed a ban on Syrian refugees for 90 days, the other 6 nations were listed as nations of concern by Obama and is an extenuation of that.

Also what is this crazed reaction to Trump has nothing to do with Trump? And is just the manifestation of how toxic leftwing politics has become? Or haven't you noticed?

PINEAPPLE.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can't stand the bloke from what I've seen so far, but they're never going to block him from coming to the UK, no matter how many sign the petition. Mrs May & friends have too much to lose to cause a diplomatic issue over it.

He'll come, and I bet there will be street protests on a scale not seen since Blair was in charge. Awful man, but I can't be the only one harbouring a certain fascination with how this is all going to pan out over the next four years. Unsettling times.
My thoughts entirely. Mrs May is desperate to get some kind of deal, relationship and influence with Trump as a bargaining chip when we negotiate Brexit.
Morals and scruples have gone out of the window I'm afraid, and the government will roll over and have its tummy tickled and roll out the poor Queen too for Trump's triumphant ego.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Absolutely Idiotic petition, on what basis should he not conduct a state visit? Because his policies anger the bed wetters? Don't get me wrong I think the guy is a strange one, but he's been elected and is US president and is following through on his policies... GET OVER IT.

Same as the idiots who signed the petition about the brexit vote, democracy voted in favour of something we don't like :tantrum:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely Idiotic petition, on what basis should he not conduct a state visit? Because his policies anger the bed wetters? Don't get me wrong I think the guy is a strange one, but he's been elected and is US president and is following through on his policies... GET OVER IT.

Same as the idiots who signed the petition about the brexit vote, democracy voted in favour of something we don't like :tantrum:

He can make an official visit the same as other democratically elected Presidents have done.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My daughter lives in the USA. Her immigration status is currently "subject to review" although that didn't stop her participating in last week's womens march. We spoke yesterday and both agreed that banning Trump from the UK would, however satisfying, be counterproductive in too many respects.
Invite him over. Pander to his ego.
Don't appease but work positively to persuade him to change policies. You will never change the man and that man is poisonous and vindictive.

Indeed.

All rules of normality go out of the window when dealing with a vicious narcissist like Trump. You simply do not get on the wrong side of them. They are like terminators - they will never give up trying to crush their 'enemies'.

And you won't be able to reason with them, you won't change them. But with careful handling you can 'manage them'.

Luckily the British Government will have a full psychological assessment of him, and will get this right in the UK's best interest.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
As Farage said, where were all these protesters in 2011 when Obama banned Iraqis for 6 months.

Farage himself knows this is a false equivalence, and you appear to have bought it:

1. In 2011 Obama didn't prevent all Iraqi green card holders entering the States.
2. Obama didn't halt all new visa applications
3. The additional screening was a response to a specific threat
4. And perhaps most importantly, Obama's order was seen by (and consulted with) the DoJ, DoHS etc BEFORE he signed it. Trump's was not.

The two 'bans' are incomparable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is fake news.
Trump has placed a ban on Syrian refugees for 90 days, the other 6 nations were listed as nations of concern by Obama and is an extenuation of that.

Also what is this crazed reaction to Trump has nothing to do with Trump? And is just the manifestation of how toxic leftwing politics has become? Or haven't you noticed?

Yet, he didn't ban any Saudis. I wonder why.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Farage himself knows this is a false equivalence, and you appear to have bought it:

1. In 2011 Obama didn't prevent all Iraqi green card holders entering the States.
2. Obama didn't halt all new visa applications
3. The additional screening was a response to a specific threat
4. And perhaps most importantly, Obama's order was seen by (and consulted with) the DoJ, DoHS etc BEFORE he signed it. Trump's was not.

The two 'bans' are incomparable.

So he signed it and it did happen, or not.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Donald Trump is a man of action. He is doing what he promised he would do and carrying out the policies that his nation voted him in for. If innocent people from foreign lands that are known terrorist hotspots are inconvenienced by him doing what he said he would do to make his country safer, tough tits. He is putting America first. Any amount of squealing from the NSC looney left and their brethren will make no difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here