Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prevent Donald Trump from making a state visit to the United Kingdom - petition

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Whoa, getting a bit carried away with yourself there. "nineteenth century patrician class"? "universal suffrage"? "educated gentleman"? Talk about pompous, self-righteous indignation. Calm down dear, calm down.

And stop putting words in my mouth by implication.

"Insulting the voters of the winning side"? No, I'm explaining that a majority of his support is unquestioning, unthinking and susceptible (and gullible, parochial, unimaginative, prejudiced, & selfish to boot). That's not insulting, that is reality.

"We need to persuade"? That's just presumptive twaddle. You might feel the need, count me out. "We need to persuade"? How? You've got as much chance as a snowball in hell. The only way to effect change is to persuade them not to vote, deny them the vote or hope for either constitutional change or impeachment.

"Are you arguing for a return to decisions being taken by 'educated gentlemen'?'" No although an enormous step forward would be 'educated women and men'.

"If not then what are you proposing as your alternative to universal suffrage ?" In the absence of the veritable benign dictator, a qualifying test, a bit like the driving test.

Keeping it simple, what I am saying is that democracy has been a very useful belief system for keeping the populace quiescent. It's been refined and tweaked during the last century to further gratify and appease the proletariat, comforted in their belief that through the electoral process they would make a difference. And so maintaining the have/have not status quo. The illusion has been preserved by democratic parties and major corporations playing and controlling the game. Unfortunately for the ruling elite in America, the Democrats but far more significantly the Republicans took their eye off the ball by underestimated the ability of populism to rip up the rule book in an interconnected world. In the past they controlled with ease inanities/anomalies like Reagan who was no more that an ex-film star totally pliant puppet. Trump is a game changer.

No indignation here of any type. Are you familiar with the concept of referring one's own character traits on to others ? I'm simply calling out your argument and making reference to the last time this country was governed in the way you suggest. It is somewhat ironic that you have chosen to put those particular words in speech marks. Perhaps it is you that feels threatened by evidence of education ?
Anyway, on to your Trump style generalizations. You claim all Trump voters are of one particular type and fail to understand that many simply felt strongly anti Clinton and many were hoping to influence future Supreme Court appointments. These
are not stupid, poorly educated people. They are persuadable as evidenced by previous Democrat victories. That process of respect and persuasion is happening already but is hampered by people such as yourself who wish to set some sort of test like a
driving test. I am actually intrigued by your (and others on here) claims to be such an intellectual titan.
Sorry for use of the long words. Feel free to put them in speech marks anytime you like.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What could be key, is Trump's relationship with Murdoch. If he makes an enemy of Murdoch, the vast majority could turn against him pretty quickly, leaving only far-right supporters.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm warming to the idea of President Pence, at least he has zero chance of winning 2020.
You need to read up on Pence, sharpish.

The Donald is a crazy as a coconut, but he's NOT, I repeat NOT even close to being as dangerous as Mike Pence.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You need to read up on Pence, sharpish.

The Donald is a crazy as a coconut, but he's NOT, I repeat NOT even close to being as dangerous as Mike Pence.

This. Much better that Trump stays as POTUS and brings the whole unseemly lot down with him. So far so good.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What could be key, is Trump's relationship with Murdoch. If he makes an enemy of Murdoch, the vast majority could turn against him pretty quickly, leaving only far-right supporters.

Well Fox haven't exactly supported him so far and he still won.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That press conference even turned Fox News against him - now THAT is saying something.

Did it? I hope so, but all I can find it an article that doesn't seem as pro-him as before, but still not really anti...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm sure they've explained, haven't they, that rather than LYING, she simply 'mis-spoke' ?

Misspoke. Alternative facts. This Trump administration is getting a bit The Office meets 1984.

She did claim that she "misspoke one word".

Unfortunately for her, she had "misspoken", in exactly the same terms, on two previous occasions - Kellyanne Conway’s ‘Bowling Green massacre’ wasn’t a slip of the tongue. She has said it before.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know all I need to know about pence, but the damage he could do is reversible. Nuclear annihilation is somewhat ... permanant.
But Trumps not going to do that.

Not only doesn't he have the intelligence, more importantly, he doesn't have the commitment.

Sure he may well f**k everything up, but he'll still find a way back to Trump Tower's NY from where he'll be able to tell anyone and everyone he was the bestest and biggliest President ever.

Pence isn't that stupid, and he certainly is considerably more committed.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No indignation here of any type. Are you familiar with the concept of referring one's own character traits on to others ? I'm simply calling out your argument and making reference to the last time this country was governed in the way you suggest. It is somewhat ironic that you have chosen to put those particular words in speech marks. Perhaps it is you that feels threatened by evidence of education ?
Anyway, on to your Trump style generalizations. You claim all Trump voters are of one particular type and fail to understand that many simply felt strongly anti Clinton and many were hoping to influence future Supreme Court appointments. These
are not stupid, poorly educated people. They are persuadable as evidenced by previous Democrat victories. That process of respect and persuasion is happening already but is hampered by people such as yourself who wish to set some sort of test like a
driving test. I am actually intrigued by your (and others on here) claims to be such an intellectual titan.
Sorry for use of the long words. Feel free to put them in speech marks anytime you like.

Your views are woefully constrained by the prism of personal belief (there are none so blind as those who will not see), constrained by depth of intellect, dulled by the arc of imagination and stultified by your comprehension. By adopting such a pompously patronising yet sneeringly sanctimonious tone your attempted riposte's rendered really rather risible.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Your views are woefully constrained by the prism of personal belief (there are none so blind as those who will not see), constrained by depth of intellect, dulled by the arc of imagination and stultified by your comprehension. By adopting such a pompously patronising yet sneeringly sanctimonious tone your attempted riposte's rendered really rather risible.

your contempt for opposing points of view shines through your post. Feeling patronized by debate is a sign of both intolerance and immaturity. Perhaps your first sentence applies to you ? You will never know given your reaction to disagreement. I am
still unsure why our society should choose to be governed by a benign dictator who shares your views. Outside of your own over inflated view of yourself is there any evidence of your superiority over the rest of us ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here