Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale to Chelsea?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not really. If he wants to go as high as he can possibly go, then there is no contest between Chelsea and Brighton. None at all. He could achieve way more at Chelsea than he ever could with us.

Does anyone on here seriously, truly believe, that if any player has the option of us or Chelsea, that they would chose us?

Is Chelsea your second team?

What could he achieve exactly? Buy his medals because he won't have the games to warrant being awarded them? Tell his grandchildren about never having contributed to any of the accolades that his club achieved? Who knows where Chelsea will even be in 30 years.

You talk of ambition, it isn't ambition to perceive you can work hard enough to earn your place above Courtois, one of the 3 best keepers in the world in my opinion, that is fantasy and Stockdale is pretty grounded. However you might spin it, he simply won't play football in front of the cameras more than a few times a year, in early stage cup competitions and will be largely forgotten about.

If we were talking about Dunk which could eventually happen if he steps up, then i'd agree with you as he would get games and genuinely be able to contribute on the world stage.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You talk of ambition, it isn't ambition to perceive you can work hard enough to earn your place above Courtois, one of the 3 best keepers in the world in my opinion, that is fantasy and Stockdale is pretty grounded. However you might spin it, he simply won't play football in front of the cameras more than a few times a year, in early stage cup competitions and will be largely forgotten about.

Interesting that you are able to guarantee that (Real Madrid target) Cortois is never, ever going to get injured, or suspended, or sold at any point.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Interesting that you are able to guarantee that (Real Madrid target) Cortois is never, ever going to get injured, or suspended, or sold at any point.

If he suffers a long-term injury then I would wager substantially on Chelsea immediately looking to bring another keeper in the next possible window. How often is a keeper suspended, has he been suspended at all this season? (genuine question, don't follow PL much).

If he gets sold they will already have a replacement in mind, and it will not be David Stockdale.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If he suffers a long-term injury then I would wager substantially on Chelsea immediately looking to bring another keeper in the next possible window.

Of course they would, but if that injury occurs on September 1st, there are four months until that window. The back up keeper will get an opportunity at some point - he might back himself to grab it with both hands.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course they would, but if that injury occurs on September 1st, there are four months until that window. The back up keeper will get an opportunity at some point - he might back himself to grab it with both hands.

Unless Chelsea decide they're better off with an emergency loan.
DS might find his arm being broken by Michael Caine.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Anyone suggesting we can replace him easily with someone of the same standard or better is missing the point. Yes we probably could but why would we let go of someone who is comfortably Premier League level and waste some budget on someone else!?

This season is for upgrading those that aren't at the required level and all the budget needs to be focused on that, not replacing someone who will hold their own.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is Chelsea your second team?

What could he achieve exactly? Buy his medals because he won't have the games to warrant being awarded them? Tell his grandchildren about never having contributed to any of the accolades that his club achieved? Who knows where Chelsea will even be in 30 years.

If we were talking about Dunk which could eventually happen if he steps up, then i'd agree with you as he would get games and genuinely be able to contribute on the world stage.

No. I'm just being realistic. Anyone who thinks that any of our players, whoever they are, are going to turn down the chance of playing for the Premier League Champions, with a chance of playing in the Champions League and various cup finals, is completely and utterly deluded. That's before you even consider the factor of lifelong financial security for their families, which they won't ever ger playing for us. Stockdale is 31 don't forget, and he isn't a rich man (queue a load of dullards screaming "He earns way more than I do, blah blah blah"). These players aren't Brighton fans, remember, and we're still a small club to most people.

If you're a goalkeeper then you're either number 1, or you're waiting for the number 1 to have a dip in form or get injured. That will happen to Courtois at some point, and then Chelsea's number 2 will get a chance. Stockdale would surely love to be in a position to have that opportunity.

Time will tell anyway, but I am genuinely stunned if anyone thinks that any of our players would turn down Chelsea for us. We haven't even kicked a ball in the Premier League yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No. I'm just being realistic. Anyone who thinks that any of our players, whoever they are, are going to turn down the chance of playing for the Premier League Champions, with a chance of playing in the Champions League and various cup finals, is completely and utterly deluded. That's before you even consider the factor of lifelong financial security for their families, which they won't ever ger playing for us. Stockdale is 31 don't forget, and he isn't a rich man (queue a load of dullards screaming "He earns way more than I do, blah blah blah"). These players aren't Brighton fans, remember, and we're still a small club to most people.

If you're a goalkeeper then you're either number 1, or you're waiting for the number 1 to have a dip in form or get injured. That will happen to Courtois at some point, and then Chelsea's number 2 will get a chance. Stockdale would surely love to be in a position to have that opportunity.

Time will tell anyway, but I am genuinely stunned if anyone thinks that any of our players would turn down Chelsea for us. We haven't even kicked a ball in the Premier League yet.
To paraphrase:-

Nobody turns down 'generational wealth'.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Anyone suggesting we can replace him easily with someone of the same standard or better is missing the point. Yes we probably could but why would we let go of someone who is comfortably Premier League level and waste some budget on someone else!?

This season is for upgrading those that aren't at the required level and all the budget needs to be focused on that, not replacing someone who will hold their own.

A thousand times this. Same reason we MUST do everything we can to keep Dale.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

All of this.

And even if Cortois never gets injured or suspended or suffers a loss of form or goes on strike or gets kidnapped, the number 2 would still expect to play:

4 or 5 League Cup matches
3 or 4 FA Cup matches
2 or 3 'dead rubber' CHAMPIONS LEAGUE group matches

Its not like he'd NEVER get a game.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The writer of that story in today's Sun once linked a player with a club managed by someone who had had an affair with his wife. So that shows the depth of his knowledge . . .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For illustration, the Chelsea second choice keepers in the last three seasons have played the following:

14/15 Cech played 15 matches (7 PL, 4 League Cup inc the FINAL, 2 FAC, 2 Champions League)
15/16 Begovic played 25 matches (17 PL, 2 League Cup, 1 FAC, 5 Champions League)
16/17 to date Begovic 7 matches (1 PL, 3 LC, 3 FAC) Would undoubtedly have played more but they were not in Europe at all.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not in our hands, why worry? We'll still be here regardless of who is playing for us.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not in our hands, why worry? We'll still be here regardless of who is playing for us.

Because without tedious shit and futile conjecture like this there would be no NSC and Bozza would be exposed as some Wizard of Oz style beardy-weirdy hiding behind a plasterboard stage set with a megaphone (or similar).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here