Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most overrated restaurant you've eaten in?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...you are talking rubbish as you don't get to choose dishes at the Fat Duck.

Out of genuine interest, what does this mean? Obviously, I have never eaten there, but do the staff choose the dishes for you?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Hutong at the Shard.

Didn't enjoy the food at all - don't think its even in the top 10 Asian restaurants in London.

And the seats are really uncomfortable - smacks of a place far too pleased with itself.

Fantastic toilets though. can't think I've had a better view while having a piss.

A close second is Le Bernardin when I was working in New York. Average food for 3 Michelin stars and you have to eat wearing your jacket (what's that all about??)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its a set menu. Everyone has the same.

And you have to pay up front.....

....And its based on a theme, its childhood memories of a trip to the seaside at the moment, dishes that will remind you of the smells and tastes of a day trip (except Worthing when the tide is out, apologies if it no longer stinks as i have not been to Worthing for many years)

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia

Sadly look a bit like that but no - just like food.

And as for the question about why you don't get a choice - that is the fashion in top restaurants these days. You get a "tasting menu" where you get a "taste" of lots of different dishes. It lets the chef show off as many ideas as possible. Over 20 different dishes is not unheard of.

Generally it is all about the chef and the food and not about you which some people don't like. Heston is great because he really cares about provoking an emotional response - bringing back happy food memories. Plus lots of "theatre" in the presentation, really clever techniques - and it tasted fantastic.

Apologies if it wasn't as good 20 years ago, but I thought it was much better than other restaurants now rated above it. People love the new restaurants just because they are new.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The Fat Duck, Bray, maybe Mrs Chopper and I chose the wrong dishes, but we were both very disappointed although the house white was absolute nectar. Compared to other famous restaurants we have been to even the service was not good.
It was many years ago, wished we had gone round the corner to The Waterside.
Strange place Bray, a nice village and a foodies heaven, even the pub has a Michelin star.

Absolutely Nuffink to do wiv grub........bert....Bray is where I was born :wave:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Not being specific, but there are too many pretentious 'heads up yer arse' restaurants , banging on about being f....ing passionate'.etc.
Additionally, so many mediocre chain restaurants, banging on with 'are you guys ready to order'?
Just piss off, the lot of them!:wanker::lolol:

I tend to agree with you, though good food (whatever that is exactly?) is pretty much wasted on me, I eat to stay alive!, that said I did have an amazing "Food" experience in Ship Street (Hotel Du Vin) last season with a few mods from here, without doubt the best meal (Fillet Steak) I have ever had!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can I just add decor like a ball pit park for meat & Liquor.

Wahacca Brighton was another disappointment, having eaten a really good meal in one in London.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I used to walk past Meat Liquior every day on the way to work. When it first opened I thought it was a knocking shop ! Another vote for Wahacca as well - been 3 times and each was a disappointment. I've even turned down a free meal there I think it's so poor.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Took Mrs H up to see Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre for her birthday and wanted to push the boat out beforehand so took her to The Ivy.
For any NSCers thinking about it, don't bother, dstinctly average food but very expensive, thankfully the show was one of best West End productions I've ever seen.

Ivy in LA, all style and no substance!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Plateau in The Laines, overpriced and pretentious and not very much on the plate.

Plateau is fantastic. One of the best restaurants in Brighton. Never come out of there without being stuffed either; it's very rich food. It's also in The Lanes.

To be fair, I'm amazed at people's poor experiences of Wahaca too. Have been three times and the service and food has been great and very good value. So so much better than La Choza, now that place is over rated.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I used to walk past Meat Liquior every day on the way to work. When it first opened I thought it was a knocking shop ! Another vote for Wahacca as well - been 3 times and each was a disappointment. I've even turned down a free meal there I think it's so poor.
Agree about wahaca, very average. Was surprised about the hype that got when it opened in Brighton but I guess it just shows how much poorer any other town or city is in England vs London from a culinary perspective.

As for the ivy in London or LA it has never been known for good quality food. The speciality dish is shepherd's pie, which says it all really. It used to be the place for celeb spotting but doesn't even have that going for it these days. In saying that the ivy garden in Chelsea is very pleasant in the summer.

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Have to say 'the Salt Room' had bad experience there, service was poor, we got our steaks then had to wait between 5 to 10 mins for our sides and had to ask about them for the money think its well overrated

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here