Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catching a Mouse - What am I Doing Wrong?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Noticed what turned out to be mouse droppings on my kitchen unit and cooker top.

Went out and bought one of those spring-loaded wooden traps and a customer in the store suggested I use sweetened bread (apparently they have a sweet tooth) rather than the commonly-held notion of using cheese.

Rather than use bread I put some jam on the trap and then a few days later sugar. It hasn't been near the trap but still leaving droppings as it has the past ten days. I've now put some cheese on the trap but still no joy.

Do they have an in-built trap detector? What am I doing wrong - it's the first time I've had a mouse problem.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Try peanut butter - the little f...... love it. Better still, if you don't want to have to deal with crushed dripping mouse bodies (if you think you have one you'll certainly have a whole bunch of 'em) get an electric mouse and rat killer from Amazon - about £45 - zaps 'em with 80,000 volts from two torch batteries and all you have to do is tip the deceased into the bin. No mess, no pain etc etc. Worked for me - caught seven rats in three days a few years back and never a sign of 'em since.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Noticed what turned out to be mouse droppings on my kitchen unit and cooker top.

Went out and bought one of those spring-loaded wooden traps and a customer in the store suggested I use sweetened bread (apparently they have a sweet tooth) rather than the commonly-held notion of using cheese.

Rather than use bread I put some jam on the trap and then a few days later sugar. It hasn't been near the trap but still leaving droppings as it has the past ten days. I've now put some cheese on the trap but still no joy.

Do they have an in-built trap detector? What am I doing wrong - it's the first time I've had a mouse problem.
Small cube of cucumber..... guaranteed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I_am_marmalade

Jun 6, 2014
Put the trap up against the wall as well, there vision isn't great and as they usually come out after dark they use the walls and sides to guide themselves around. If you can find a route you think they are taking and put it right in the way, pretty good chance of bagging yourself one of the little blighters

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've found that this works a treat for mice. Elephants like it too, so it's handy if you get an infestation of those buggers as well.

Peanut butter is the stuff. If you're not sure if you have an Elephant infestation, look for footprints in the butter dish.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
#teampeanutbutter
Have caught loads in my shed and where I used to keep bird food with it. Tried tons of other things but this always seems the best.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
#teampeanutbutter
Have caught loads in my shed and where I used to keep bird food with it. Tried tons of other things but this always seems the best.

Bird food is actually the answer. A few seeds like sunflower work a treat. A humane trap for a fiver with a few seeds will tempt little Mickey and the door will close behind him. Then just take him away somewhere and let him go.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Bird food is actually the answer. A few seeds like sunflower work a treat. A humane trap for a fiver with a few seeds will tempt little Mickey and the door will close behind him. Then just take him away somewhere and let him go.

This won't work if it's a Homing Mouse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here