Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola specifically...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I rate Klopp, the football liverpool play is top stuff, they are onto a good thing with him.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The premier League is proper competitive this season so a few managers are going to look substandard as Conte and Kante show the way. The fact is that Klopp is quality but strugglers witha smaller squad as Liverpool aren't in the top bracket anymore. Guardiloa was always going to struggle with some real competition to go up against, althought i suspect he will buy the defender andvgoal keeper he needs, sure up that defence and get the team competitive by next season. Maureen is slowing gettting things right at united and will probably have them firing by next seasons. If the clubs can hold their nerves and give them the chance they need the next few years will be very exciting. especially if Simeone goes to Arsenal and spends some money.

All that said i agree with those suggesting that Guardiola needs to prove himself with less resources than he has previously enjoyed.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I rate Klopp, the football liverpool play is top stuff, they are onto a good thing with him.

I have to agree, it's the only unique playing style in the prem at the moment. Very entertaining stuff. The problem with his style is that they concede a lot of goals.

I think he'll get it right.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Klopp is a very good manager. Pep is a legendary manager.

Of course they're all that.
Pep is legendary why ?Not up for a massive argument but stephen Hawking couldve won things at barcelona with those players and winning with bayern munich isnt exactly doing a leicester city is it ? id rate klopp as more impressive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lots of adjectives about Klopp being thrown about but what makes him outstanding for instance? Showing a bit of pashun when Liverpool scrambled a late winner versus Norwich, has the odd amusing jape at the press conference and keeps the hub cap sealers happy by talking about John Lennon.

Take the contract extension to Mignolet. I see what he was trying to do, give the lad confidence by extending it, making him his number 1 in the hope that in return he wakes up one morning as Gordon Banks. Unfortunately, he is still shite and got dropped for some kid from Germany. When Gus did similar with El abd or Copper with Mayo we all thought they were mad but both players improved significantly thereafter - the very sign of excellent management in my mind. Here we have one of 'The best managers in the World' pulling a similar trick and royally cocking it up. Convince me he's not a fraud?

It's easy to forget how average Liverpool were when he joined. They were 10th I think, and seemingly saddled with some absolute dross. He's since made some good signings and they look a lot better than both Manchester clubs. They are again comparable to Spurs and Arsenal in terms of ability and likelihood of finishing in the top 4.

I know what you mean about Mignolet and you are right about him being pony, but personally I always have time for managers who give their players the benefit of the doubt - because it feeds the confidence of his players. I suspect it will come out in the wash some day how he has got players who will run through brick walls for him, and I wouldn't rule out a Liverpool title at some point under Klopp. Certainly I think he has far more chance of winning one of the two biggest club trophies in this country than Pep Guardiola.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What Man City need is somebody like Mr Hughton. A manager who can create an essence of TEAM. I've long held the belief that when Man City fail it is usually because although they are a talented group of individual footballers, that's how they play as well - as individuals.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
What Man City need is somebody like Mr Hughton. A manager who can create an essence of TEAM. I've long held the belief that when Man City fail it is usually because although they are a talented group of individual footballers, that's how they play as well - as individuals.

Can you edit your post we don't want to alert Manchester City HR.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

man City have been very good for a few years, they were great last year and round about Christmas it looked like they were shoo-ins for the title. But the board got greedy, wanted Guardiola, probably more because they didn't want anyone else to have him, Pellegrini essentially got sacked in the New Year and they are still feeling the fall-out today.

Which is a good thing. When I think of Man City I still think of Sean Goater and Alan Ball and the Gallaghers in the stands and this mega-club thing just doesn't sit well.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Pep is legendary why ?Not up for a massive argument but stephen Hawking couldve won things at barcelona with those players and winning with bayern munich isnt exactly doing a leicester city is it ? id rate klopp as more impressive.

I'd say there are a number of reasons. Firstly the success; he took over a Barcelona team that had won precisely naff - nothing at all - all in the previous two years, and in his first season romped to a treble. If Rijkaard couldn't manage that team to success then I'd worry about putting Stephen Hawking in charge. The he just carried on winning stuff.

At Barcelona he was managing around 4 or 5 of the best players in the world in their positions (Alves, Yaya, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi) plus a host of other HUGE characters. To keep these in check, to keep them playing your way and to not lose the dressing room and to that level of success is the work of someone special - see how different things have been in various Galactico eras at Madrid.

Then there's what his players say about him - Iniesta said that everything changed when he took over. Messi, Xavi, Robben etc all rate him as the best.

And then there’s the fact that the style which had started to evolve under Cuyff reached its peak under Pep, and was the defining football style of the decade.

Jury’s out at City, and he didn’t meet expectations at Bayern, but he did enough at Barca to warrant legend status I’d say.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well neither Jurgen nor Pep are going to win anything this year...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here