Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomer Hemed

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I openly and honestly prefer Murray to Hemed and feel we def can't play them together.
There's nothing wrong with those two views, I think most agree.
But do not see demanding more from certain players as keyboard warrioring, simply an expression of wanting the best for the team I love.
Hoping for more is one thing, but demanding? You probably don't mean it literally.

None of us have a problem with fans wanting more, or preferring Murray. What some of us find laughable are the posts that Hemed isn't good enough for the Championship. And no, I'm not joking, that's the sort of thing people have posted here.

However the TH we've seen over the last four games is a completely different animal to last season and appears more hungry, which I can only put down to the added competition
I think that's extremely unlikely. We were pushing really hard for promotion last year, he'd have been as desperate as everyone and giving it his all. He's has over a year Championship experience now, he's in decent form at the moment and he's getting good service.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Hoping for more is one thing, but demanding? You probably don't mean it literally.

None of us have a problem with fans wanting more, or preferring Murray. What some of us find laughable are the posts that Hemed isn't good enough for the Championship. And no, I'm not joking, that's the sort of thing people have posted here.

I think that's extremely unlikely. We were pushing really hard for promotion last year, he'd have been as desperate as everyone and giving it his all. He's has over a year Championship experience now, he's in decent form at the moment and he's getting good service.

I just feel a greater urgency from him this year and dare I say he's working harder for the team.

You could be entirely correct in as much as that extra year's experience means he knows he has to roll up his sleeves and fight a bit more for it this season but I really feel the comparison re competition up top this season from last is like chalk and cheese. He's hungry to play, wants to play week in week out and the only way to guarantee that is to perform. Can you honestly say that pressure was there last year?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So he's lied in order to confuse opposing keepers? That is really naughty of him.

This.

His technique relies on the keeper moving first.(IMO)
Keepers move first because they believe they have a better chance of saving it if they guess correctly (when the taker has chosen a side).

No sense in admitting to his technique.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
He looks stronger this season too, and more skilled in using his strength.

TH's penalties work on the 'who will blink first' principle - that is why: a) he varies the speed of his run up - he is waiting for the goalkeeper to make his move; b) why he is usually able to kick it low to the keeper's other side. This approach makes me anxious, but I've learnt to trust him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just feel a greater urgency from him this year and dare I say he's working harder for the team.
If he's working harder for the team, it's possible that's an area Chris has wanted him to change his style a little. You obviously don't want all strikers running as much as CMS though, so it's tactic Chris will work on.

I really feel the comparison re competition up top this season from last is like chalk and cheese. He's hungry to play, wants to play week in week out and the only way to guarantee that is to perform. Can you honestly say that pressure was there last year?
No there wasn't. Some players are obviously a bit lazy, and that's even more of an issue when the whole team isn't putting the effort in. While it's possible the competition is making Tomer feel like giving a little more, it's not like he was ever lacking in effort, the whole team was busting a gut already. And while competition certainly helps (and will also be useful in training), you don't want added pressure on a striker when they're through on goal.

He's got 5 goals from the last 4 games (1 from the spot). Has he had many others from open play this season?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

This is completely right. I never get why it is not clear. If someone says they prefer one player over another, there is no problem with that. If they start threads saying a player has been under par recently, that's not an issue. It's the over the top hyperbole that inevitably comes with certain players having a couple of poor games. Stockdale went through it this season (without really doing anything wrong) and has been our best player for the last three months, Baldock has it when he doesn't score for a couple of games, Hemed has had it, Bong faced it earlier in the season, Skalak is facing it now. It's not sensible comments. It is writing off a player as not good enough and starting a thread to say that. It's completely unnecessary.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

You could be entirely correct in as much as that extra year's experience means he knows he has to roll up his sleeves and fight a bit more for it this season but I really feel the comparison re competition up top this season from last is like chalk and cheese. He's hungry to play, wants to play week in week out and the only way to guarantee that is to perform. Can you honestly say that pressure was there last year?

I don't think it's greater urgency but might be a combination of less pressure and more confidence. He went through a patch where he wasn't scoring last season when he must have been short of confidence and then, later in the season, the pressure was on him to score the goals. With Murray here this season and Baldock scoring more, he's not had so much pressure on his shoulders (which is the alternate side to the more competition comment) but I think that has helped to improve him and let him relax and in recent games, when we really needed him, he's performed very well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is completely right. I never get why it is not clear. If someone says they prefer one player over another, there is no problem with that. If they start threads saying a player has been under par recently, that's not an issue. It's the over the top hyperbole that inevitably comes with certain players having a couple of poor games. Stockdale went through it this season (without really doing anything wrong) and has been our best player for the last three months, Baldock has it when he doesn't score for a couple of games, Hemed has had it, Bong faced it earlier in the season, Skalak is facing it now. It's not sensible comments. It is writing off a player as not good enough and starting a thread to say that. It's completely unnecessary.

Well said......the hyperbole is probably just about the most annoying thing of all. Couple of mistakes or a poor patch of form and someone is suddenly '****ing sh*t'.......

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
If he's working harder for the team, it's possible that's an area Chris has wanted him to change his style a little. You obviously don't want all strikers running as much as CMS though, so it's tactic Chris will work on.

I suspect this is the case. Against Massive CH verbally admonished GM for chasing everything down, instead wanting him to be more of a target man, and during said admonishment you could see GM point at TH who then upped his rate.

IfHe's got 5 goals from the last 4 games (1 from the spot). Has he had many others from open play this season?

His goals against Cardiff and Huddersfield were particular highlights for their opportunism and clinicality (is that even a word?)

Don't think anyone can complain as we might potentially see a season where four players score more than ten this season. Would be an excellent return from all concerned.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think it's greater urgency but might be a combination of less pressure and more confidence. He went through a patch where he wasn't scoring last season when he must have been short of confidence and then, later in the season, the pressure was on him to score the goals. With Murray here this season and Baldock scoring more, he's not had so much pressure on his shoulders (which is the alternate side to the more competition comment) but I think that has helped to improve him and let him relax and in recent games, when we really needed him, he's performed very well.

An interesting point of view, and one I hadn't considered.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Okay. I'll bite.

I openly and honestly prefer Murray to Hemed and feel we def can't play them together. But do not see demanding more from certain players as keyboard warrioring, simply an expression of wanting the best for the team I love.

However the TH we've seen over the last four games is a completely different animal to last season and appears more hungry, which I can only put down to the added competition, which is great. Anway I digress.

But come on murder your darlings, nail your flag to the mast and outline who you prefer; none of this 'I support whoever wears the shirt' crud...
I was going to reply, but luckily read down the thread so now I can just write:-

wot [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] said, instead.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I'd agree with your analysis entirely, and say that exactly the same applies to Baldock. Both needed a rocket up their arse frankly, and the increased competition has provided exactly that. Suddenly they're hungry again. Everybody wins.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd agree with your analysis entirely, and say that exactly the same applies to Baldock. Both needed a rocket up their arse frankly, and the increased competition has provided exactly that. Suddenly they're hungry again. Everybody wins.
:fishing: or :wrong:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's nothing to do with Murray being here or Baldock scoring more. Hemed's goals last season (17 of them) dried up when LuaLua, and then March, got injured. Baldock was also injured which affects both Murray (as seen at Preston and Huddersfield) and Hemed.
He started scoring again when Knockaert arrived as he was getting some service.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nonsense. Strikers need service. Stephens, Baldock, March get injured and there's no service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here