Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And to think it all started here ...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Worked in Lewes between 2005 - 2012, I drove past that site twice a day and genuinely wet my pants every single day. We have come such a long way since Buckley scored that 97th min winner
You should see someone about that.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

boik

Jack Straw's weekly updates - 'Jack Straw's Falmer Watch' - were epic.

Every Friday we would wait with bated breath for the next installment of our stadium rising from the man with the ladder.

The Jack Straw specials were superb too, like when he got wind of the fact that part of the arch was in a massive lorry park somewhere up the A23, and he went chasing it just to get the images of it arriving.

Above and beyond the call of dooty.

I had the webcam window permanently in the top right of my PC at work. So exciting to see it rising.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When Dick Knight and Martin Perry were going on about the ground being 4 sided and being built in stages I never thought the Stadium at Falmer would ever happen. Those were the days when I would hear about this ' Poker playing, betting bloke' in the back ground who was quite well off. I'd never seen a picture of him but had an image in my head of some flash git who had surfaced from nowhere to enjoy the odd Albion game with his flash mates. I never knew he was the Tony Bloom we all admire nowadays. The Tony Bloom who travels on a train with other fans to away games, swigs a can of Stella walking along the platform with nothing but his passion for the Albion and his black bag with him. This is not to say Dick Knight wasn't the man once but without Tony Bloom this dream of ours would never come true - although of course I'm not counting chickens - and I actually want promotion for him more than anyone, I've been here before in the late 70's but Tony Bloom hasn't and Christ does he deserve to see the finishing brush strokes put on this fantastic canvass which he has given us. All sounds a bit sycophantic maybe but I really believe this is no ego trip but a genuine love affair with the club from 'The Man'

I didn't feel like that last time in the 70's about the Commander in chief.

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Jack Straw's weekly updates - 'Jack Straw's Falmer Watch' - were epic.

Every Friday we would wait with bated breath for the next installment of our stadium rising from the man with the ladder.

The Jack Straw specials were superb too, like when he got wind of the fact that part of the arch was in a massive lorry park somewhere up the A23, and he went chasing it just to get the images of it arriving.

Above and beyond the call of dooty.

Almost makes me feel like it needs a rerun to remind us !!!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I always thought the site looked far too small for a stadium. That picture just confirms it. And yet ... we built that thing there. Amazing job.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I always thought the site looked far too small for a stadium. That picture just confirms it. And yet ... we built that thing there. Amazing job.

Incredible vision from Dick Knight and Martin Perry.

I went up there a couple of times during the early campaigning and I thought that they were bluffing to try and get Waterhall. There was no way a 30,000 seat stadium, car parks, etc. would ever fit in that small place.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

The site alone was too small.

They knocked down some University of Brighton buildings to accommodate it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Yes, we know that but it still looked too small.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Oh yeah. Funny how you forget these things. Even so, the area still looks surprisingly tiny for such a big project. I mean, the Amex and its environs don't feel at all cramped.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Used to get train regulary E/B to Brighton when Falmer became a reality - Always bought a tear to my eye when on board announcement said "Next Stop Falmer"

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm reading We Want Falmer at the moment, how the memories come back, and how you realise how much time and effort Dick Knight and Martin Perry invested in our dream of a new stadium. Yes, in the end a very nice rich fan came along and paid for it, but without that tireless work against so many odds we wouldn't be here. I do hope those two guys are enjoying this season as much as the rest of us because damn they deserve it :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here