Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** off Warnock

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not really sure what the problem is. What did we expect? Typical Warnock when taking over a struggling side. And fair play to him he has got them results. Not pretty or good to watch and IF we did go up next season I am pretty sure we'd be seeing a more defensive type of football.

The problem is as well it winds the home fans up and rather than cheering for our team, we get angsty at them which is exactly what Warnock wants to do. Create a weird atmosphere. Obviously all back fires when we get the goal, but their previous league games before us shows it can work for them - 3 wins.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
That'll be the same Colin who lambasted Diouf after he injured Mackie, asked for him to be sacked and then signed him a season or so later. Anyway, we have a particular hatred of Warnockand it all started when Stan Ternent was our boss. In his autobiography Stan explains:

"At half-time we were one goal down and as I was asking how much my players wanted it, I thought I heard a noise on the other side of an emergency door," Ternent recalled. "I motioned for them to keep quiet and launched myself into a two-footed kung-fu kick against the door. It exploded outwards and I saw a figure scurry away.

"I then took one of my players to see the referee and show him a wound and heard a voice behind me say, 'Come off it Stan - you are always at it.'

"I turned to see Warnock's No2 Kevin Blackwell and I shouted, 'Let's have it now.' I ran up, smacked him in the face and nutted him for good measure. He hit me back and my nose ruptured. I jumped on him and we fell to the floor shoving the door to the referee's room wide open.

"Stewards and United staff pounced on my back and eventually dragged me away. I'd given him a few cracks and a couple of follow-ups.

"I've had a friendly beer with Blackwell since, but I won't look Warnock in the face."

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Cardiff came to frustrate us, and boy did they do that! There could have easily been 10+ minutes added on for each half for the time-wasting. Referees need to get a grip! 27000+ people in the stadium saw it except the prat in black

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Cardiff were in relegation danger when Warnock arrived. He was brought in to keep them up. He doesn't have much cash to spend so he's stuck with their rather limited squad and whatever frees and cheapo bargains he can entice to South Wales this month. They're improving but by no means safe yet.

What did people expect them to do? Roll up at the Amex and start spraying the ball around like Barcelona, leaving themselves wide open to attack from one of the best sides in the league?

Of course Warnock is going to play it safe. He's going to tell them to get ten men behind the ball every time we get it, to niggle away and piss about wasting time in the hope of frustrating the opposition and the crowd, and ideally causing us to do something daft and even gift them a cheeky goal. That's his JOB, surely? It wasn't far off working, but fortunately on this occasion, the Albion players stayed patient, kept their heads, and created enough decent chances to take the points. I thought it was a pretty professional effort in the end in the face of what must have been a really annoying set of opponents.

Yes, I remember commenting at half time that he was something of a footballing Antichrist, but equally, I 100% understand why he was doing it. He's getting paid to win- or at least not lose- games for Cardiff City, so he's going to do it the way he knows works with the not-terribly-talented set of players he has. When a team buggers around like they did, it's down to the officials to crack down on it (Stroud was pretty lame in that respect I thought) and to the opposition to find a way to beat it, not to Warnock to apologise.

Also can't really see what the fuss is about his post match comments- he's damned right our players probably don't want to play them again, for exactly the reasons we're discussing. I'm certainly glad we're done with them for the season. Alright, the "made their strikers look ordinary" is slightly misguided under the circumstances, but other than that, his remarks are almost unfailingly positive about our team and our club.

Thanks for the points, Neil, and I hope you go and annoy the hell out of Reading at the weekend, only with a more positive outcome. Good luck.

I think I agree with you Edna.. in the context of their season, this was exactly what was expected, and not unlike CH first 5 months with us.. .. Poor old Greg Halford... "You're in the starting 11 tonight Greg... what? No... don't worry about that stuff, just try and get in the way and take as many long throws as you can.." as soon as they need something different, some football, they take him off! Warnock has also said that he would rather accept this season is about staying up, work with what he's got and then look to be backed in the summer by Vincent Tan to have a go at promotion. If they are playing this way next season, I am sure Cardiff fans will start to become frustrated.. That said, it was just so funny to watch the tactics swap the instant the goal went in, and the relative reactions of the crowd!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not really sure what the problem is. What did we expect? Typical Warnock when taking over a struggling side. And fair play to him he has got them results. Not pretty or good to watch and IF we did go up next season I am pretty sure we'd be seeing a more defensive type of football.

The problem is as well it winds the home fans up and rather than cheering for our team, we get angsty at them which is exactly what Warnock wants to do. Create a weird atmosphere. Obviously all back fires when we get the goal, but their previous league games before us shows it can work for them - 3 wins.
Keith Stroud was the problem, they had him hook, line and sinker. No issue with Cardiff setting out to defend.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yep no problem with Cardiff's tactics although would you turn up and watch it...... no wonder Cardiff's fans dont bother going anymore.

I bloody hate time wasting, its my main pet hate with the modern game along with diving, and its so easily solved with an early booking, the refs just have to show some strength when it comes to this.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You can set up defensively and not waste time. One does not require the other. That's my problem with it. Burton is a good example from this season. They were setup to contain us but I don't recall seeing any blatantly overwrought time-wasting from them.

Having thought about it some more this morning though I've come to swing my ire towards that ineffective tit of a referee. Cardiff are, of course, well within their rights to play however they see fit but the ref should have done more about their time wasting.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Keith Stroud was the problem, they had him hook, line and sinker. No issue with Cardiff setting out to defend.

I saw Keith Stroud and Kevin Blackwell exchange big hugs before they got in their cars and left the Amex last night. Quite telling I thought.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
If we get promoted and if we approach matches in the same manner as Cardiff last night I will be very disappointed. I'm sure the majority of others will feel the same.
If you look at the way Hughton set Norwich out during his time there - and the boring football their fans decryed particularly away from home - then history suggests you might well end up being very disappointed then

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The game went exactly as expected. As others have said Warnock has to work with what he has got and he has now stabilised a very rocky ship. Cardiff are not the first and will not be the the last team to deploy such tactics against. Great patience from the team to finally find a way through and get all three points (even if we did make a meal of the last 10 minutes). In previous seasons me way have only got a point, or even an annoying 0-1 defeat out of a game like, that gritty (is about as generous as I can be) shows how far we have come this season.

Warnock's comments about us after the game were extremely magnanimous and showed quite a bit of class for someone with such a bad reputation.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If you look at the way Hughton set Norwich out during his time there - and the boring football their fans decryed particularly away from home - then history suggests you might well end up being very disappointed then

There is boring defensive football and then there is the shitehouse, waste of time, anti football of the sort we saw last night.

Its the latter I would be very disappointed with.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No, not when we are promotion chasing ...
But next year when we find ourselves struggling for points in the bottom half of the Prem - away at the Emirates on a foggy Tuesday in January - we might just be a tad sluggish with our throw-ins and goal kicks ...
Doubt it would be a Tuesday will miss the mid weeks if we happen to go up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cardiff did have a 5 minute spell or so in the first half when they were on the front foot and pressing..........yet were still taking 20 seconds+ for throw ins? Oh well.
Yeah I was actually pleased with their time wasting then. What a dumb thing to do, allowing us to get our composure back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks for the points, Neil, and I hope you go and annoy the hell out of Reading at the weekend, only with a more positive outcome. Good luck.
Reading have just been awarded a penalty.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Fair few comments on here about the park and snatch tactics being our MO next season 'IF' we go up. Not sure about that at all. We will see a more defensive approach to the big six in the PL but we are more than capable of playing good football against most other PL teams.
Warnock's side were negative and the time wasting from kick off was not pretty but I bet we will all be hoping he does the same, and more, against the chasing pack behind us. I think that aside from the appalling time wasting last night we would have just accepted the much expected negative game from CCFC and been happy to have done the business.
Still think he is a cock though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Throw-in? You take it...
No, after you....
No no, you take it
Who me?
Yes you..
Ok, if your sure....
Yes I'm sure
Ok, I'll take it

Ooh, the ball's a bit damp
Here, let me dry it off for you first
Oh, am I taking it?
No, I am. Well, in a minute... hang on, I've got something stuck in my studs
Oh yes, a big lump of mud
Oh, gross
I feel faint, I think I should have a lie down in the middle of the pitch for a bit

Ad nauseum, stupid twats

Much like the Cardiff keeper at EVERY freekick.

"Is it a free kick lino?"
"Where from? About here?"
"Are you sure?"
Picks ball up
"So from here yeah?"
"Ref. REF. From here ok?"
"Ok" picks up ball again. Replaces it
"Here we go then"
HOOF!
:lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we get promoted and if we approach matches in the same manner as Cardiff last night I will be very disappointed. I'm sure the majority of others will feel the same.
I'd rather be relegated (from the PL, not from the Championship).

If we are able to get promoted, I doubt I'll enjoy the football as much next season as I have this, or indeed last. We need to get promoted because the football we're enjoying is not financially sustainable in this league. But relegation from the PL followed another season like this would be preferable to endless anti-football.

Note that I'm not criticising Warnock for last night, I'm sure their club plan to move on to better things, but I wouldn't want that every season.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Can't blame them for the tactics. What really annoyed me though, was they were time wasting from the first minute, and the ref done nothing about it. As soon as we scorded, the next time he got the ball, he's on Stockdales case to hurry up.

But as far as Cardiff go. Note to their bench. If you are going to get your side to time waste from minute one, then don't start whining to the ref when the other team does it when you go one nil down. Make you look like complete bell ends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here