Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gin drinkers

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] bought me a bottle of Blooms Gin for my birthday and that's very nice.
Tony's got a new business, has he? [emoji38]

I DO like a gin - Brighton gin is very nice, as is the Earl Grey and Lemon one from Waitrose. At the moment I'm quite happy with a Tanqueray and tonic, but thanks to Mrs B signing me up to a gin club I've got quite a collection, which is growing at one bottle a month. The latest one is an Irish gin - Glendalough- which is very tasty apparently.

A lot of it is about the tonic. Fever Tree, all day long.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Rather partial to a nice G&T in the warmer months. Mrs M is going to the Bombay distillery this weekend, so hoping for a couple of bottles to come back home with her

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
♩♫♪ We're Brighton and Hove Albion we're top of the league ♪♫♩

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Sounds like a lot of hard work to me. I don't get whisky at all either, I have been told try this try that etc etc single malts blah blah yet still they all taste like something to clean your brushes with.

With you on that!

Was in Hawksmoor Air Street for a late lunch the other Saturday and the bar-keep gave me and Mrs KK a 25 minute lecture on rum, even insisting we taste a few. Fascinating - we had rums that taste and look like vodka and like whiskey and like gin, light rums, dark rums, blended rums, single estate rums blah blah. The guy was a rum nut; basically said that you don't need lots of types of spirits for a cocktail bar, just a good selection of rums as there's a rum that replicates the base flavour profiles of all other spirits. Who knew?
My favourite was Plantation which is a blend - warm, vanilla and oak; ideal.

theboybilly

The mistake with gin is so many buy a mixer (be it tonic, bitter lemon, lemonade) and proceed to drown it by using more than half one of those little bottles. My tip is to sample the gin neat first to get the flavours then put in as much mixer as you really need. If you just want a long cool summer drink I suggest using the cheapest brand you can find. I'm not a gin snob and see nothing wrong with regular Gordon's but Adnam's Copper House is my 'go to' gin now.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Fever Tree Sicilian Lemonade goes well with Gin. So refreshing.

So effectively a quick gin fizz. Yep I'll buy that; sounds great.
I'll try a Hendricks and San Pelegrino lemon on Friday I think. Should replicate your drink pretty well. Cheers

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Got given a bottle of this for my birthday last month. Yet to open it but it looks interesting :)

gin_opi1.jpg

Also partial to the Brighton Gin (served with orange rather than the traditional lemon) which is nice, and Sipsmith's too. Not so keen on Hendrick's as it's quite cucumbery and cucumber is evil, basically the Devil's penis.

Attachments

• gin_opi1.jpg
    gin_opi1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 357

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Got given a bottle of this for my birthday last month. Yet to open it but it looks interesting :)

gin_opi1.jpg

Also partial to the Brighton Gin (served with orange rather than the traditional lemon) which is nice, and Sipsmith's too. Not so keen on Hendrick's as it's quite cucumbery and cucumber is evil, basically the Devil's penis.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] had a bottle of this a couple of years ago (there's a trend developing here) and i was fortunate enough to sample it. Very fragrant gin, really nice.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I can recommend "Half Hitch".. made with Tea and Bergamot, so really fragrant. Made by small company in Camden.. I would have been sceptical about the different flavours in a spirit, but this one did it for me.. Can buy on-line.. not cheap, retails at about £40.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] had a bottle of this a couple of years ago (there's a trend developing here) and i was fortunate enough to sample it. Very fragrant gin, really nice.

I've been through a few bottles - it's probably my favourite to date.

Currently my gin cupboard contains:

Chilgrove (from Sussex)
Greenall's
Brighton
Opihr
Plymouth Navy Strength
Tanqueray No Ten
Bulldog
Tanqueray Export Strength
Bombay Sapphire
M&S London Dry Gin

...and a gin advent calendar containing measures of various weird and wonderful gins.

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)

gin_opi1.jpg

Found this a bit peppery with standard tonic but excellent with Fever Tree elderflower tonic

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When I was younger I always thought I didn't like a G&T as when I'd tasted other people's drinks in pubs it always tasted awful. However whilst on holiday on Spain with the Mrs I tasted her G&T and it lovely. I came to realise I don't like cheap tonic and do like a nice big Spanish measure of gin! So now I rarely drink a G&T when out but do like them made at home with a proper generous measure of gin and decent tonic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Chilgrove (from Sussex)
Greenall's
Brighton
Opihr
Plymouth Navy Strength
Tanqueray No Ten
Bulldog
Bombay Sapphire
M&S London Dry Gin

...and a gin advent calendar containing measures of various weird and wonderful gins.

I'm surprised

Hendricks-min.jpg

isn't on that list.
It's certainly my favourite although my sample list is considerably shorter.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Love gin. There is absolutely a taste difference between them but a G&T is essentially a cocktail so the rest of the ingredients are important to the final taste. The tonic you use (never Schwepps) and it's proportion, the amount of ice (you need lots), what you add in such as lemon, lime, grapefruit etc and how you add it as a slice or squeezed juice.... For a basic gin I always use a slice of lemon or lime but I have an ongoing argument with my brother-in-law as he always squeezes the juice in.

You can make a Gordons taste pretty OK if you do it properly but for my bog standard drinks I normally use Plymouth or Tanqueray as Bombay Sapphire is far more fragrant. Sipsmiths, Monkey 47 are good and there are some mentioned on here that I've not tried but would like to.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I think that gins are quite subjective and therefore there is no real consensus as to what is the "best" gin. Personally, I'm fairly ambivalent between Gordon's and, say, a more expensive one like Sipsmith, although Sipsmith is a bit nicer. Do not like Bombay Sapphire at all. Current favourite is Williams GB. Am interested in trying Monkey 47.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Chilgrove (from Sussex)
Greenall's
Brighton
Opihr
Plymouth Navy Strength
Tanqueray No Ten
Bulldog
Bombay Sapphire
M&S London Dry Gin

If you like the more fragrant gins, try the monkey 47, if you havent before..
Called 47 due to the 47 botanicals...

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
Nose: Oh there is a lot going on here... woody, vegetable smells under pin fresh grassy citrus notes and botanical sweetness, like a pine forest after the rain.

Palate: Predictably complex, this is a robust and powerful gin with plenty of spice, fruit and herb flavours. It's very well structured, and difficult to unpick but a citrus fresh start segues into pine and wood notes for a drying finish.

Finish: Wooded and reassuringly heavy.

Overall: A unique gin, that is crying out to be made into a Martini. It'll need an equally robust vermouth though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here