Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gin drinkers

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm by no means a connoisseur but a mate of mine has just introduced me to Nordes Atlantic Galacian gin. Maybe not to everyone's taste but without doubt the best I've ever had.

Can be bought online and if you're partial well worth a bash. Not cheap but worth every penny

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Had Breacon Gin on Saturday lovely and at a reasonable price.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Out of all the top selling Gins I cannot for the life of me taste any difference, same for Vodka.
Apparently Plymouth gin is the choice of the best cocktail bars around the world, but again I can't taste the difference between Plymouth and say Bombay Sapphire or Gordons

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Had Breacon Gin on Saturday lovely and at a reasonable price.

I'm a heathen, sure I can't tell the difference between Gordon's, Bombay, Hendricks etc etc. But this has shown me me that even my crap palette can distinguish. I might give yours a bash now :thumbsup:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Out of all the top selling Gins I cannot for the life of me taste any difference, same for Vodka.
Apparently Plymouth gin is the choice of the best cocktail bars around the world, but again I can't taste the difference between Plymouth and say Bombay Sapphire or Gordons

Ditto ... try this, you will notice for sure

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I'm a heathen, sure I can't tell the difference between Gordon's, Bombay, Hendricks etc etc. But this has shown me me that even my crap palette can distinguish. I might give yours a bash now [emoji106]
I'm no better thought gin was gin but went in the black jug in horsham and they have a gin menu . this was their monthly pick so thought i'd give it a go and wonderful.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm fine with Gordon's myself, most others appear to be £10-£20 a bottle more now. Anyway, I prefer my homemade Sloe/Rasperry/Strawberry/Blackcurrant Gin made from Lidl's BogStandard Gin bought in France.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Having been to the Bombay Distillery (disappointingly just outside Winchester and not in India) they put different botanics in the various Gins they produce so they certainly don't all taste the same.

Not really my tipple but Mrs Jakarta is a big fan of Bombay Sapphire...

I know very little about gin beyond the Bombay Sapphire's and Gordon's, but bought this for the novelty and thought it was very nice.

11349194_454021748117486_1542037520_n.jpg

Served with a slice of orange. Apparently

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Having been to the Bombay Distillery (disappointingly just outside Winchester and not in India) they put different botanics in the various Gins they produce so they certainly don't all taste the same.

Not really my tipple but Mrs Jakarta is a big fan of Bombay Sapphire...
The first part of this (Bombay Sapphire is a pretty bog-standard gin with a better than average marketing pitch, so a proper mixologist told me). What's key is what you mix them with; it has to be complementary- some are better with citrus (lemon or lime mainly, but some play well with orange) and some with cucumber or lemongrass etc. Some combine better with a traditional tonic and others with a more fragrance-laced tonic like elderflower and some are for accenting cocktails or fruit cups and the like.
Try your normal gin-type tipple with cucumber and a different style of tonic - could be a revelation....or you may just get a bit mash-up and forget some stuff. Either way it's a plan

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The first part of this (Bombay Sapphire is a pretty bog-standard gin with a better than average marketing pitch, so a proper mixologist told me). What's key is what you mix them with; it has to be complementary- some are better with citrus (lemon or lime mainly, but some play well with orange) and some with cucumber or lemongrass etc. Some combine better with a traditional tonic and others with a more fragrance-laced tonic like elderflower and some are for accenting cocktails or fruit cups and the like.
Try your normal gin-type tipple with cucumber and a different style of tonic - could be a revelation....or you may just get a bit mash-up and forget some stuff. Either way it's a plan

Sounds like a lot of hard work to me. I don't get whisky at all either, I have been told try this try that etc etc single malts blah blah yet still they all taste like something to clean your brushes with.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Unfortunately I was sick after a session on Gin back in the 80's, kind of think I am missing out but it still reminds me of drinking aftershave or my mums 4711 eau de cologne.

I do not know if there is any difference, but one things for sure, a proper glass, crackling ice and fresh tonic and lemon makes the difference ....

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Didn't know what all the fuss was about with so many gins lately as assumed they all tasted much the same. However Mrs DS bought nipper a bottle of one of those fancy gins for Xmas and it was fantastic and had a subtle ginger taste to it

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] bought me a bottle of Blooms Gin for my birthday and that's very nice.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I add lemonade to my Gin. Should I leave this thread and never darken it again?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
My Mrs is a gin affecionado. Which is a ball ache on birthdays and at Xmas time because it's so damned expensive to buy the good stuff. At the moment she has Adnams as her "cooking" gin, her day to day stuff, with bottles of Bathtub gin, monkey 47 and Boodles all at various levels of emptiness in the cupboard. She's also got an upoened bottle of Star of Bombay. I spent over £150 on bloody gin at Xmas, mental.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here