Brighton v Cardiff

Sky Bet Championship

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Tuesday 24th January 2017
Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Chris Kavanagh
Assistants: John Flynn, Matt Foley
Fourth official: Darren Deadman

Brighton will assess captain Bruno (groin) and striker Sam Baldock (calf), who both missed Friday's 2-1 victory over Sheffield Wednesday.

Leading scorer Glenn Murray is banned after his red card in that game and defender Gaetan Bong (knee) is out.

Cardiff boss Neil Warnock has no new injury worries as he targets a fourth consecutive league win.

Defender Bruno Ecuele Manga is expected back this week from the Africa Cup of Nations after Gabon were eliminated.

Victory would take Brighton to the top of the Championship table.

The match has been rearranged after the scheduled meeting on 30 December was postponed because of fog.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"In my time here we haven't had a comfortable game against Cardiff.

"You know what to expect with a Neil Warnock side - a team fighting to get a result. They will be in confident form.

"But we would like to capitalise on the fact we are at home, on the back of a really good home victory on Friday."

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]Five of the last six league meetings between these two teams in Brighton have ended level, with Cardiff winning the other.
    [*=left]Cardiff haven't lost a league game away at Brighton since January 2002, when Bobby Zamora netted the winner for the Seagulls.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have lost just one of their last 20 league games, winning 15 and drawing four.
    [*=left]The Bluebirds have won their last three league games - they've not won four on the bounce since January 2013.
    [*=left]No side has kept more clean sheets than Brighton in the Championship this season (14, level with Derby).
    [*=left]Eight of Cardiff's last 11 league goals have come in the final 20 minutes of play. The other three have come in the opening 25.

The Big Match Preview: Spotlight on Cardiff City

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know why but I can REALLY see a SLEEPY performance from us tonight. Hope I'm wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know why but I can REALLY see a SLEEPY performance from us tonight. Hope I'm wrong.
I think I know why.

Friday night was such a massive high, it still feels like it was only a few hours ago.
Now on the come down from that I'm thinking 'trap game', there's no way it can live up to just a few hours ago.
Warnock will be all Warnocky, I might just give it a miss.

The flip side is no home games after this until 11.02. by which time we will all be climbing the walls.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I think I know why.

Friday night was such a massive high, it still feels like it was only a few hours ago.
Now on the come down from that I'm thinking 'trap game', there's no way it can live up to just a few hours ago.

The flip side is no home games after this until 11.02. by which time we will all be climbing the walls.
Despite it only being a few days ago, I've been climbing the walls in impatience for this, the next home game. Don't expect an easy game though...they will make it a very tough game for us, I'm sure. Would be good to see our new defender play at least some of the game but not at the expense of Pog as he's been great recently...quite an asset to have (albeit temporarily).

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
better teams than Cardiff have come down here on good form (Barnsley, Leeds etc) and we have had no problem turning them over... don't think its unreasonable to be fully expecting a home win

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

By which time also, if we win tonight, we are guaranteed to still be in the top two :thumbsup:

I genuinely believe tonight is MASSIVE. An 11 point gap to 3rd would be incredible at this stage of the season.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given that we have not beaten Cardiff at home for ages, I too am expecting a tough game tonight. Regardless of who their manager has been they have always been a frustrating. With wily old Warnock at the helm I'm sure it will be diffiuclt for us to get our game going. They are on a three match winning streak themselves, so it is all set up for a freezing and frustrating evening at the Amex. I'll take a scrappy 1-0 regardless of the quality of performance. To quote the late great Al Davis of the Oakland/LA Raiders, "Just win baby, just win!"

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
703.png
Cardiff-City.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think I know why.

Yeah I think you got it. Friday was such an experience to remember that it still feels very recent.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
At least they won't have David Marshall in goal this time - he usually managed to stop us winning single-handed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here