Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red card appeal REJECTED

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think it could get overturned. Stockdale was in place to attempt the save had the ball passed Murray (which it would not given it was heading straight for his face!).

A penalty should have been sufficient punishment, unless the rules state that a handball in the box is an automatic red I think the appeal should succeed.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I think it could get overturned. Stockdale was in place to attempt the save had the ball passed Murray (which it would not given it was heading straight for his face!).

A penalty should have been sufficient punishment, unless the rules state that a handball in the box is an automatic red
I think the appeal should succeed.

If it did, Bruno would have been sent off at Fulham!

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea

A penalty should have been sufficient punishment, unless the rules state that a handball in the box is an automatic red I think the appeal should succeed.

Not automatic red card - look at Pogba the other week - Yellow card should've been enough.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Surely with all the concerns and information coming through these days from sports science about concussions in sport a player protecting their head from a potentially severe impact should be acceptable. Fair enough a penalty but if a player is expected to get seriously injured and discouraged from protecting themselves to avoid getting a red card then the game and its ruling body are a joke.

That was my thinking ... and that ball was travelling at some speed too. But common sense rarely prevails in these situations so I'm not holding my breath

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It just felt wrong that he could be sent off for that. At the time, I had no complaints with the penalty as it was a clear handball in the area that prevented the chance of a goal. But a sending off? He's had it smashed at him from three yards away, and you can see from the side-on footage that his hands are protecting his face, NOT above his face in an attempt to gain an advantage.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Graham Poll is interesting here on a similar (ish) decision with Spurs in 2014.
"Naughton was very close to Kevin Nolan as the West Ham man fired towards goal but as the Tottenham defender had his hands raised in what is termed as unnatural position I could see why a penalty was awarded.
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino agreed, as I did with him when he felt the red card that followed was harsh. The offence defines that the opportunity must be obvious and I cannot see an angle which shows that the ball was definitely on target or that Hugo Lloris might not have saved the effort. Where doubt exists the referee really should not dismiss a player and I think Spurs have a case to appeal the red card."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ce-definition-handball-maybe-players-too.html

He lost his appeal mind and was given a 2 match suspension.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30012340

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

THIS!

However the FA will not overturn it because we are not Newcastle.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Lets be honest, it's worth a go. If the appeal is deemed 'frivolous' he'll only miss the Lincoln FA Cup game.

I don't believe it was a red card offence but I don't believe they'll overturn it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In the event of an appeal being considered 'frivolous' by the panel, a ban CAN be extended. It is very, very unusual though, so I shouldn't worry. Besides, and extra game if the worst happened would just cover the Lincoln game that he'd never be playing in anyway.

2. His actions did NOT 'stop a goalscoring opportunity' - i.e. Stockdale was right behind him, so it wouldn't have gone in anyway. This one has a CHANCE, I think.

His face was right behind it, if it hadn't have hit his hands he would have taken one right in the mush. Still, no chance of winning the appeal methinks.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

To which I would show the precedent that Pogba didn't even get a yellow against Liverpool last weekend

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It should only have been a red if it stopped the ball going in. If Murray hadn't blocked it Stockdale might have saved it or it might have gone over. Hopefully there's enough doubt to get it overturned but we know the FA rarely seem to be sympathetic to our appeals.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I think we should line the panel up in a row, place a ball the same distance away as Loovens was and get Jiri to hit it full pelt at their faces, if any of them don't protect themselves then the card stands.

Don't think it will get overturned though, even though I think it should as his hands were in front of his face before the ball was even struck.

Seagull Mags

Aug 18, 2016
100% should get overturned. If a player hits a free kick and it hits someone's hand in the wall protecting their face then it's a penalty and possibly a yellow card depending on how deliberate the offence is. Technically this is no different to Murray on Friday as both you can argue are goal scoring opportunities. If on the line with no goalkeeper its a different story. By the letter of the law surely it's a penalty and a yellow card?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've heard the pundits describe the difference between deliberate and accidental handball by assessing whether the player specifically moved their arm/hand towards the ball to make deliberate contact or whether the arm made no specific movement towards the ball but the ball made contact with the arm/hand.

I think this gets abbreviated to: was it hand to ball, or ball to hand? Don't think Murray moved his arms, they were already close / in front of his face when the ball was struck.
Is accidental handball a straight red offence? Is it even a booking?

But like others have said, won't get overturned a FA don't like to undermine their refs ....

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
The shot was hit with such force from about 3 yards away knocked him clean off his feet! If he hadn't protected himself it could have caused a serious injury as his face was directly in line! Besides the ball hitting his face, stockdale was right behind it too judging from one of the angles showing the direction of the ball! Penalty yes, red card no!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here