Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No panic signing of a striker

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough, I won't post anymore things I hear!
Thank you, I appreciate it.
You seem very bitter, have a drink and chill.....Life is too short for Angst like yours...
Yep, either that or you're misreading my inner feelings.

You're not new, you know we get a lot of people posting a lot of fake in the know shit on here. I (and others I believe) like to take the piss out of said posts. If you really got genuine trustworthy information (which I seriously doubt), it was a bit naive to post it in the way you did IMO. You're saying you heard we were signing someone today, so you posted that we were signing a striker soon. I'm sorry, that's just dumb. You know there are other positions.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Thank you, I appreciate it.
Yep, either that or you're misreading my inner feelings.

You're not new, you know we get a lot of people posting a lot of fake in the know shit on here. I (and others I believe) like to take the piss out of said posts. If you really got genuine trustworthy information (which I seriously doubt), it was a bit naive to post it in the way you did IMO. You're saying you heard we were signing someone today, so you posted that we were signing a striker soon. I'm sorry, that's just dumb. You know there are other positions.

I have explained myself.....I won't lose any sleep that you don't believe me... Have a good evening

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So you say you were told there was going to be a signing today, and you failed to even post that. Instead you posted on the striker thread and just said 'soon' instead of 'today'. And what sort of idiot would assume the position of an incoming player?

I've been told by two separate sources that you're full of shit. Sorry!

Make it THREE he is a complete IDIOT

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I suspect this is like being a hormone charged male teen at a school disco. We're just sitting on our hands waiting for the final slow song to come on (end of window) before we jump up and try and grab the most beautiful & available girl on the dance floor.

Because we are so desirable at present (2nd in table, world class training facilities, amazing cosmopolitan city), I suspect we'll end up pulling but maybe not the permanent lovely we are after. We might even get hold of two desirables. We're always keen for a kiss on the cheek aren't we?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I suspect this is like being a hormone charged male teen at a school disco. We're just sitting on our hands waiting for the final slow song to come on (end of window) before we jump up and try and grab the most beautiful & available girl on the dance floor.

Because we are so desirable at present (2nd in table, world class training facilities, amazing cosmopolitan city), I suspect we'll end up pulling but maybe not the permanent lovely we are after. We might even get hold of two desirables. We're always keen for a kiss on the cheek aren't we?

Theres a hidden message in there somewhere

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

....and the reality is, halfway through the last track we might grab a fat ugly bird on the off chance of a quick fumble before the lights come on as it's still better than leaning on the bar pretending to be cool realising all your mates have copped off

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

As long as we don't find ourselves in the alley behind the disco, later, taking it up the wrong 'un.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
The discussion about signing a striker has gone through every transfer window of the Amex era. In truth every supporter of every club is dreaming of that 30 goal striker signed from nowhere, or that dead cert (no such thing) premier league striker. Prior to signing Leo this site was on meltdown demanding a new striker.

Surely no one doubts that (apart from the Burke era) the club have made many astute signings over the past few years. Generally when we have really needed a replacement we've found them. However with strikers it is true that this has been more difficult. Several times many of us have felt that a striker was needed, but we have ended up having to fill in with what we had. Now is one of those times. It's obvious we need cover and I'm personally confident we will sign (at least) cover for Baldock, because that looks to be important. I'm sure we are constantly looking for the right striker at the right price.

If they don't come, it wont be because the club haven't tried. It will reflect the cost and difficulty of getting good strikers. We do not have parachute payments and are not far from our FFP limit. Therefore let's hope for a striker and trust the club to do its best

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Surely no one doubts that (apart from the Burke era) the club have made many astute signings over the past few years.

Burke was at the club for nearly 3 years. Some of the astute signings and loans in that era included Ulloa, Upson, Stephens, Stockdale, Baldock, Ward, Bruno, Bridge, Orlandi, and Kuszczak.

and quite a few duffers too. (obviously he'd be responsible for them but none of the above)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The discussion about signing a striker has gone through every transfer window of the Amex era. In truth every supporter of every club is dreaming of that 30 goal striker signed from nowhere, or that dead cert (no such thing) premier league striker. Prior to signing Leo this site was on meltdown demanding a new striker.

Surely no one doubts that (apart from the Burke era) the club have made many astute signings over the past few years. Generally when we have really needed a replacement we've found them. However with strikers it is true that this has been more difficult. Several times many of us have felt that a striker was needed, but we have ended up having to fill in with what we had. Now is one of those times. It's obvious we need cover and I'm personally confident we will sign (at least) cover for Baldock, because that looks to be important. I'm sure we are constantly looking for the right striker at the right price.

If they don't come, it wont be because the club haven't tried. It will reflect the cost and difficulty of getting good strikers. We do not have parachute payments and are not far from our FFP limit. Therefore let's hope for a striker and trust the club to do its best

All fair comment. What I find curious, however, is that we seem to have little or no difficulty signing non-strikers, such as Duffy, sometimes for large money. I hope we invest the £8M we were going to spend on Pritchard to buy one or more strikers before the window closes but I'm not holding my breath with only a week to go. Getting the right player is clearly important but equally it's important not to leave ourselves with insufficient cover to plug the injuries/suspensions we're likely to get between now and the end of the season. Is there another top half club in the Championship that only has two permanent first team strikers on its books?

Just for the record this is not intended to be a criticism of the club. I'm as delighted as anyone as to how this season is developing but the ongoing striker issue really bugs me and seems to be an unnecessary risk.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
All fair comment. What I find curious, however, is that we seem to have little or no difficulty signing non-strikers, such as Duffy, sometimes for large money. I hope we invest the £8M we were going to spend on Pritchard to buy one or more strikers before the window closes but I'm not holding my breath with only a week to go. Getting the right player is clearly important but equally it's important not to leave ourselves with insufficient cover to plug the injuries/suspensions we're likely to get between now and the end of the season. Is there another top half club in the Championship that only has two permanent first team strikers on its books?

Just for the record this is not intended to be a criticism of the club. I'm as delighted as anyone as to how this season is developing but the ongoing striker issue really bugs me and seems to be an unnecessary risk.

But isn't it easier to be confident in signing defenders than strikers, whose form tends to peak and dip much more, and whose performance levels depend more on developing understandings with wingers, fellow strikers and midfield players? And perhaps playing Solly, Murph or Skalak in the second striker role when we know that they already fit into the system and the squad is preferable to bringing in an unknown element who might upset morale.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The discussion about signing a striker has gone through every transfer window of the Amex era. In truth every supporter of every club is dreaming of that 30 goal striker signed from nowhere, or that dead cert (no such thing) premier league striker.
I know what you mean, but most teams aren't completely sorted except for one backup striker. Some of our rivals have several of them.

We do not have parachute payments and are not far from our FFP limit.
I disagree, I think we're miles from the FFP limit, because the limit is going to be calculated over 3 seasons. If we go up, then any spending now on a striker will become relatively irrelevant, and if we don't, we may have sell players in the summer anyway (because of their ambition, rather than having reached an FFP limit).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's the first time I've heard it called that.

I feel like I have slipped into an episode of 'Allo 'Allo. And that isn't a euphemism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here