Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ridiculous Game - Thoughts from an Owl

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
We won because we had the best player by a country mile. We also had the Stockdale miracle - two saves from one penalty.

Yes we had some good luck as well but any team getting out of this league needs that as well as a good team.

No I agree I wouldn't say the penalty save was luck. Just good keeping and when we lost our heads that wasn't anything to do with luck in your favour. I guess you could say it was fortunate that we did but you'd already won the game through the two goals you'd scored.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
I was surprised, but mightily relieved, that they did not bring Hooper on considering his record against us.

Also, the applause from Stripes' fans for Hunt when he was stretchered off was in stark contrast to the booing and things being thrown when Goldson was carried off at Hillboro' in the first leg of the play off semi last year.

I think Hoops wasn't brought on because he's not played for 2 months with injury and this was his first appearance in the squad since then. But it always confuses me when this happens, if he isn't fit enough to play then why even out him on the bench?! Think we've missed him to be honest. True goalscorer which both Fessi and Fletcher are not.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not taken much notice of FF before, but did in the first half yesterday. He is a lazy ****er. No effort.

Indeed.

I imagine Wednesday fans would be looking at their talisman and then looking at ours and thinking "if only"...

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
Not taken much notice of FF before, but did in the first half yesterday. He is a lazy ****er. No effort.

Blows hot and cold at the moment. Last week I've never seen a player put as much effort in as he did against Huddersfield. He was everywhere. Seems like one of those things that if he plays well then the team do and if not then you know what happens.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Blows hot and cold at the moment. Last week I've never seen a player put as much effort in as he did against Huddersfield. He was everywhere. Seems like one of those things that if he plays well then the team do and if not then you know what happens.

He might be 'everywhere' when he's on the ball. But will he run 70yards back to get the ball back, put his in a tackle, close down or track a man? Because that's what Knockaert does.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fair enough. I just watched him quite closely last night (I sit in the North end of the Lower West so had a decent view in the first half) and he just looked disinterested. The effort/team spirit/will to win was the difference between the two teams.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Indeed.

I imagine Wednesday fans would be looking at their talisman and then looking at ours and thinking "if only"...

Some very funny and bitter player ratings following the game on Owlstalk that were subsequently posted on another thread on here by LlcooJ. Among them was this gem:

Reach- 4 - would have given him a 2 but for a 10 minute period 2nd half. How this guy cost 5 million I'll never know. He can't cross, can't beat a man, can't defend, can't pass, has no skill, he's not fast. He's nothing about him and cost more than twice what Knockaert did. Let that sink in.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
He might be 'everywhere' when he's on the ball. But will he run 70yards back to get the ball back, put his in a tackle, close down or track a man? Because that's what Knockaert does.

Yeah in fairness he does. I think on stats hes our second highest tackler of the ball on average. Last night he wasn't really in the game for what ever reason but overall he's a great player at this level. Clearly what separates Knockhaert from FF is he performs on a much more consistent basis and obviously so do your team. But I will defend Forestieri on that one because he does track back for the team and out in an impressive work rate.

I just think we waste him upfront he's 1000 times more effective on the left like Knockhaert. But Carlos cannot see it. Plus Hooper and Fletcher have been injured so many times between them we've had to play FF up top. Last season I think he scored 12 of his 15 goals from the left wing which beggars belief why we don't play him in that position this season. And... ultimately we might rely on him too much as last season he had the best season I've ever seen from a Wednesday player. This season the expectations have been so high and hes just been a 7/10 instead of a 9/10 like last season on average.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016

I've just checked actually and Forestieri also has a higher average tackle rate than Knockaert his season so it proves my point.

By the way this is a really useful site if you love your stats.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/25

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I've just checked actually and Forestieri also has a higher average tackle rate than Knockaert his season so it proves my point.

By the way this is a really useful site if you love your stats.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/25

It's not just about tackles, it's pressing, distance covered etc. I gotta be honest I can't be arsed to look for those, but I know what I see.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
It's not just about tackles, it's pressing, distance covered etc. I gotta be honest I can't be arsed to look for those, but I know what I see.

Think it's easy to say it on last nights game but that's one game and I'm assessing the player over 18 months with us. I'm not saying Knockaert doesn't or cant do that, he's clearly a better and more effective player than FF this season and probably will be now he's found that level with his game for a long time.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Think it's easy to say it on last nights game but that's one game and I'm assessing the player over 18 months with us. I'm not saying Knockaert doesn't or cant do that, he's clearly a better and more effective player than FF this season and probably will be now he's found that level with his game for a long time.

I also can't see Knockaert having a strop and effectively going on strike.

CarlosTheOwl

May 7, 2016
I also can't see Knockaert having a strop and effectively going on strike.

Probably not then! I do think it shows a lot how talented he is that the fans have in large forgiven him for what happened. But it was a ridiculous stunt and symbolic of many modern footballers.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Probably not then! I do think it shows a lot how talented he is that the fans have in large forgiven him for what happened. But it was a ridiculous stunt and symbolic of many modern footballers.

We had the same with Liam Bridcutt trying to force a move to join Poyet at Sunderland. Oh I forgot to mention the pace of Knockaert, it's also a clear advantage if we are comparing the two.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Had it then threw it away. Absolutely fuming with the team and some individuals were a disgrace at the end. Fair play you guys completely deserved that win. We were our own worst enemy tonight and that's the first time I've ever seen that from us.

The game itself was fairly even with you guys shading it, then obviously the penalty changed the game. Wasn't a red but was a clear penalty. The fantastic double save from Stockdale should've really kicked us on but we were tame and didn't drive forward enough. You stayed strong and in shape and countered well and with quality. We lost our heads and your revenge was complete. Fletcher was just stupid with the experience he has. Hutchinson was beyond that... I got my leg broken as a youth in a similar tackle to that and therefore can not feel anything other than disgusted and let down. That... after I'd built him up before the game.

It is an underestimated asset to have such a strong team game. Maybe one day we'll get it right.

Let the mockery ensue.

Hmm. What kind of pillock goes onto an oppo board and slags their own team off. Very odd posting.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Hmm. What kind of pillock goes onto an oppo board and slags their own team off. Very odd posting.

An honest one. It's hardly slagging his own team off. It's being realistic. I've seen a couple of similar posts from friends on Facebook. Most Wendy fans are honest about their team imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here