Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Stockdale

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Have we ever had a keeper as good as he has been for us this season?

Corrigan past his best when he got here, always like Digweed, Moseley and Keeley but none of them were in Stockdale's class.

I've supported this club since 1980 and I don't think we've had a better keeper than Stockdale this season.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Have we ever had a keeper as good as he has been for us this season?

Corrigan past his best when he got here, always like Digweed, Moseley and Keeley but none of them were in Stockdale's class.

I've supported this club since 1980 and I don't think we've had a better keeper than Stockdale this season.

I was always a big Mark Beeney fan, but I agree with you.

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
Keeley for me was pretty special, arguably Beeney (and Wilkinson) saved the club, but that double save tonight pretty special!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nicky Rust Rust Rust

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Keeley for me was pretty special, arguably Beeney (and Wilkinson) saved the club, but that double save tonight pretty special!
That was one of the best ever... I shouted at the TV (and my wife) he's saved it, then "he's saved it AGAIN". At that moment in time I couldn't help thinking Jim Montgomery and Gordon Banks - simply outstanding!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That double save was something else, but it's his character that stands out for me. We've got so many in this squad.

Anyone know his ratio of penalties faced, to goals conceded?
I can think of four that haven't been converted: three great saves (tonight, v Fulham the other week, and at home in that storming 4-3(?) game against Birmingham); and the MK Dons miss away last season.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Well I can start with Eric Gill......but every keeper plays as well as the team as a whole, so comparing over 60 years is not really possible. However Stockers is good, very, very good!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Well I can start with Eric Gill......but every keeper plays as well as the team as a whole, so comparing over 60 years is not really possible. However Stockers is good, very, very good!

It was Eric Gill that got me started as an Albion fan, my Dad knew him and stayed at his Simpsons hotel on business, i was about 12 years old.
Just seen the Stockdale saves on highlights, amazing, especially the 2nd one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just has a real AURA about him this season. If there's a penalty against us ATM, I generally think he has at least a 50% chance of saving.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But his clearance after the double save from the penalty wasn't very good.
The guy is clearly a liability - get rid now. :facepalm:

We've got some fookin mongy fans!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Grummitt was the best I've seen but Stockdale pushes him very close. He was sensational tonight.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree about the penalty save and the follow up. Amazing! BUT there were two occasions when there was a complete misunderstanding between Stockdale and one of the CBs when both went for the same ball and a goal could have resulted either time. Not sure who at fault either time, but communication needs to be improved.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I always liked Ben Roberts. But agree, Stockdale has been exceptional.

It's no surprise that Stockdale is as good as he is with Ben as GK coach. He makes the keepers do their homework on strikers, as well as putting them through vigorous warming up exercises, making them dive one way and then the other. It's one of the things I love to watch when I get to a stadium early. There's no holding back just because they're warming up.
Ben Roberts also saved a vital penalty against Swindon, by keeping his arm up and strong.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here