Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red (and appeal)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One. Spot on from the ref to send him off. I suppose it worked out as that was struck well and going towards the top corner.

We must have odd shaped goals if that was top corner.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Appeal hearing taking place on Monday.

That's fair enough,i was unaware,but felt we had grounds too,the referee quite rightly played it to the letter,more often than not we bemoan when they do not do so.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why have we lodged the appeal already, surely we could have appealed a little later so that the hearing couldn't be done before the game?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's fair enough,i was unaware,but felt we had grounds too,the referee quite rightly played it to the letter,more often than not we bemoan when they do not do so.
We're appealing because we don't think he played it to the letter, we think he got it wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
my point about the keeper is still valid - if a defender fouled an attacker through on goal it would be a red (as long as it wasn't a genuine attempt to play the ball in the penalty area as you point out)
Yep, fair point.

Presumably there is a time limit.
Yep, but it's not 12 hours.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Indeed. It's being made out like his hands were by his side, and he raised them to stop the ball - that's not what happened. He already had his hand in front of him - the choice he was faced with was:
a) get my hands out of the way and take it in the face
b) not get smashed in the face

With the amount of time he had to think, there's no time to make the choice properly, so he went with self preservation. IMO it should be a penalty, as while he couldn't help it, his arms shouldn't be there in the first place.
But I don't think it should be a red card, because it didn't stop a goal, it just stopped him getting smashed in the face.

Surely this is all about 'advantage' i have looked at the replay a couple of times and his body was behind his hands the shot would still have been diverted so no advantage gained.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You have to take into account just how hard that shot was hit.
And how cold it was! We all remember how much that stings. Murray was clearly feeling a bit pathetic, as just a few seconds before the shot he was doing the same thing, holding his arms in front of his face like the little kid at school.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely this is all about 'advantage' i have looked at the replay a couple of times and his body was behind his hands the shot would still have been diverted so no advantage gained.
We can't say for sure where the ball would have gone. Looks like it would have hit him, don't know where it would have deflected to. But you shouldn't have your hands there, which is why we often see defenders with their arms behind their backs. That's why I think it should be a penalty. But I don't think he tried to stop a goal, and don't think he did, so I don't think a red card is correct.

I've already put far more thought into it than the FA will though:
FA disciplinary panel:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
And as my Dad used to say, this is the problem when strikers try and defend. Dunk or Duffy would have been HAPPY to be whacked in the face by a ball travelling that fast. Badge of honour in the Union of Centre-halfs.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Absolutely. The ref would say that if he did not want to get hit in the face, then get out of the way, and thus to put your hand up invites a penalty decision, even if he was only protecting himself, as probably everyone else would have done in the split-second moment. But he was not trying to gain an unfair advantage, and thus for me the red card was unwarranted.
I agree, and when a tackle like Hutchinson's on March is deemed a lesser offence the game needs to have a hard think about consistency- potentially leg-break By tackle from behind = yellow, preventing the need for an emergency tracheotomy = red.
Nonsense, but he will lose the appeal anyway....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You have to take into account just how hard that shot was hit. Looks bad in super slow motion back but at full speed anyone would do the same. Could be overturned.

Also feel a bit for the ref here due to how quick this happened and how hard the shot was hit. Very difficult to judge if it was a clear goal scoring opportunity because of this. Looked like Stockdale would have saved it in slow mo and as Stockdale himself said it may have even been heading over the bar (even onto the bar) - I think the sensible decision would be to overturn it. Especially given that Newcastle had 2 fairly debatable ones overturned v Forest :whistle:

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I couldn't believe the red card came out (watching at home) To me it was a penalty for sure and a yellow card. Its not as if he scooped the ball off the goal line like that Leeds chap the other week, he was clearly protecting his face?? Hopefully the appeal will be successful

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And as my Dad used to say, this is the problem when strikers try and defend. Dunk or Duffy would have been HAPPY to be whacked in the face by a ball travelling that fast.
Defenders even score with their face.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Considering Newcastle had two red cards overturned against Forest. I think we should definitely appeal.
Yes, but that was Newcastle, not Brighton [cough: Stevens at 'Boro].

If it was Newcastle, the hearing would be on Wednesday or Thursday, probably. It would seem though that as it's Brighton they've already set up an extraordinarily rapid appeal hearing so that they can disallow the appeal in time for Murray to be banned for the Cardiff match.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here