Brighton v Sheffield Wednesday

Sky Bet Championship

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Friday 20th January
Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Peter James Kirkup, Adam Nunn
Fourth official: James Linington

Brighton centre-back Lewis Dunk is available to return from a two-match suspension while midfielder Dale Stephens is fit again after illness.

Defender Sebastien Pocognoli has recovered from a thigh problem but left-back Gaetan Bong (knee) is out.

Sheffield Wednesday could give a first start to striker Sam Winnall after he made his debut from the bench against Huddersfield on Saturday.

Winger Callum McManaman (illness) should be available.

Victory would take Brighton, whose 18-match unbeaten run was ended by Preston last Saturday, back to the top of the Championship table.

Wednesday beat the Seagulls in the Championship play-off semi-finals last season, having finished three places and 15 points behind Chris Hughton's side in 2015-16.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"Last season Sheffield Wednesday were exceptional. I'd see them as stronger than last season, but that is the quality of the league at the moment.

"They have a very good side and know how to get results. It is a team we know very well, from our exploits against them this season and last.

"I hope it is the right type of game for us. We came away from a defeat at Preston knowing it can happen in this division if you are not playing at the levels you need to play at.

"It is always about learning from it and bouncing back."

Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"It will be a big challenge of course. I think this will be the hardest game we have had this season. They have lost just one game in 19.

"We must understand that they achieved 15 more points than us last season and they have increased their team with quality players. They are stronger this season.

"Like all teams they have weak points and we have to exploit that."

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]This is the first meeting between these sides at the Amex Stadium since last season's play-off semi-final, which ended in a 1-1 draw with Wednesday progressing 3-1 on aggregate.
    [*=left]The Owls lost 2-1 to Brighton in October - they have never lost twice to the Seagulls in the same league season.
    [*=left]Brighton played Sheffield Wednesday on a Friday in a Championship encounter in September 2012, winning 3-0 courtesy of goals from Wayne Bridge, Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Buckley.
    [*=left]Two of Wednesday's last three away Championship goals have been scored in the 90th minute (Steven Fletcher v Reading and Adam Reach v Preston).
    [*=left]The Seagulls have conceded just 17 league goals this season, their fewest after 25 matches of a season in their history.

The Big Match Preview: Spotlight on Sheffield Wednesday

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Winnall can start losing tonight,I hope.Wheel definitely whine,2 - 0 to the good guys.UTA

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
AnTony to score first in a 4-0 thriller

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Can I claim Cardiff home 1st time round !!?? Not enough loyalty points for Brentford sadly, but have a season ticket for the rest of the season now

I was only Joking...And I am claiming cardiff as 2 this season! 3 if you count the away game too! Good job on the season ticket. If we go up they will be like gold dust!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tough game but we have the ability to win, attitude must be right

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
WhoScored:

Prediction
Brighton's 18-match unbeaten run came to an end when they lost 2-0 at Preston last weekend, as they slipped back to second in the Championship.
Wednesday are in their own purple patch, with 21 points from their last 10 games, and beat promotion rivals Huddersfield 2-0 last Saturday.
Albion have only lost one home league game in the last year but Wednesday will prove tough opponents.
Prediction: Brighton 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1085174/Preview

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Would be great if we went for it from kick off and got a couple in front so we could all breathe.
Rather suspect it will be a cagey stalemate until the game opens up in the last half hour and then it's a lottery.
2-1 to the good guys is my prediction but then thats my prediction every week :lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Quote: The Owls are unbeaten in their last four trips to Amex Stadium, letting in just two goals in the process, so we’re taking 31/20 for 0-0 at half-time and 3/5 for under 2.5 goals in the game is hard to argue against.

https://sports.bwin.com/en/news/foo...ip/brighton-v-sheffield-wednesday,121089.html

I have gone for 0-0 at HT and Albion to score first and win 2-0. Could be just 1-0. Wednesday could score first and then 1-1, or could grab a consolation goal 2-1 or an equalise 1-1.

So most likely, 2-0, 1-0, 1-1, 1-1, 2-1 in that order of most likely. Bet still hard to argue against as it said.

Form by performances, Wednesday good Albion average.
Form by results (last 6), both automatic promotion form: http://www.statto.com/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/2016-2017/table

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Getting train to Brighton/Falmer from London Bridge about 5ish. any other London based Albion fans want to meet up for what will probably be a horrendous train journey down?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here