Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cost of social care.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
And where are the Tory/UKIP voters to defend cutting service and for the older people, children and the disabled? Let's find out why running our NHS into the ground is a good idea. Come on, let's hear hear how you justify tax breaks for the wealthy, non Dom status for those that bring us 'news' and why the top 1% are getting richer while low and middle incomes struggle?

£70 Billion in tax missing whilst the service we and our past generations paid for are run down and flogged off to their mates cheaply.

Disgrace.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
First class post.
In 2016 SCC paid £35m for an office in Dorking, now wondering how to fund social care. Yes, different pots etc, but one County Council

Only £35m better send them to S-o-T. After deciding the then Labour council thought that the council,s office based in Stoke needed to be moved to Hanley and become the anchor tenant in the new central business district thus ensuring other commercial businesses would follow,four years on the To Let signs are still up and the council now has TWO base offices one in Hanley and one in Stoke. The cost is around £55m with almost all borrowed on a long term arrangement thus making sure the people of S-o-T carry the repayment burden for years to come,whilst this shambles was taking place the city council decided that even after the government had declared Hs2 was going to Crewe it should spend £1m on hiring consultants to tell the government that Hs2 should be routed through S-o-T and not Crewe and quite understandably the consultants engaged agreed with the city council (whatever next the world is round) now after that came the "new" Hanley bus station at a cost of £15m.When it opened it was over budget and six months late and so small main operator First has had to apply and been granted stops outside the bus station to attempt to run a scheduled service. As these issues were being played-out time and time again the very same council was announcing closures due to "Lack of Finance" to all the things that we hear about Day Centres,Care Homes etc and yes like many i am not at all happy with tax avoidance etc,etc but that is another issue. For me today,s issue spend whatever money you have wisely and give the ratepayer a first class service and not yourself.

Last edited:

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
As a student social worker, it's been incredibly disheartening to spend two years studying the theories and methods in which social care should be delivered, only to discover that in practice, it's an excercise in saving money and scrimping on existing services.

I spend more time feeling like an accountant than a social worker, usually to the detriment of the people we support. I don't know what the solution is but it's not something which is currently sustainable without extra resources.

were loose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here