Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cost of social care.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
It is reported that Surrey CC want to increase council tax by as much as 15% to pay for social care ? This issue has been raised by many councils up and down the UK as we all know,however there is one under lying theme that always comes up and that is simple people do not trust councils to spend 100% of whatever they may raise on social care and that it will just go into the councils general budget. Maybe i am wrong ?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It should be properly and fully funded by Central Government. In turn this would take pressure off the NHS.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I've always thought it strange that councils raise taxes but have to go cap in hand to central Govt for the rest of what they need to fund their services, the Govt can then dictate how much they are allowed to raise Council Tax by. Surely let local authorities be responsible for their own tax and spending and abolish the block grant. Of course Council Tax would rise significantly but income tax could be cut as there would be no more central Govt funding. Then people would have a real choice over who to elect on what budget they were proposing and councils would be 100% responsible for raising and spending their own revenue and providing the services.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Far point crookie however i comeback to the point of a rise in C/Tax to pay for social care must mean every penny goes to social care and not some grand shopping development etc you get my drift.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Far point crookie however i comeback to the point of a rise in C/Tax to pay for social care must mean every penny goes to social care and not some grand shopping development etc you get my drift.

First class post.
In 2016 SCC paid £35m for an office in Dorking, now wondering how to fund social care. Yes, different pots etc, but one County Council

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

If it can be ring fenced, then yes I would be prepared to pay a local income tax or a council tax increase pay for social care.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've always thought it strange that councils raise taxes but have to go cap in hand to central Govt for the rest of what they need to fund their services, the Govt can then dictate how much they are allowed to raise Council Tax by. Surely let local authorities be responsible for their own tax and spending and abolish the block grant. Of course Council Tax would rise significantly but income tax could be cut as there would be no more central Govt funding. Then people would have a real choice over who to elect on what budget they were proposing and councils would be 100% responsible for raising and spending their own revenue and providing the services.

Yeah nice, so rich boroughs can set low council tax rates as they have less demand on services and their better off residents get an income tax cut to go with it as well. Meanwhile, poorer boroughs get poorer.

Do you remember Wandsworth and their zero poll tax? Are you Thatcher in disguise?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Bloody peasants living longer how very dare they..

Money was syphoned off to private contractors for years and then suddenly cut off overnight. Politics and self interest over the needs of the population, it needs funding correctly and perhaps more importantly managing correctly.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
£2.6 billion social care funding gap by 2020, which needs filling somehow

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Definitely, agree 100%

Yeah nice, so rich boroughs can set low council tax rates as they have less demand on services and their better off residents get an income tax cut to go with it as well. Meanwhile, poorer boroughs get poorer.

Do you remember Wandsworth and their zero poll tax? Are you Thatcher in disguise?

Bit harsh mate, no I've never voted Tory. I'm just against the centralised patronising system as it is. There is very little local accountability with regards to council tax and local authority funding, which doesn't help to arrest the declining interest in local politics. Of course there would need a mechanism in place to give greater funds to those areas most in need. Surely not beyond the wit of someone to come up with a better system than the one we have now, a kind of halfway house that doesn't really work for anyone

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It's a difficult one this. On the one hand, social care is criminally underfunded and councils simply don't have enough to make it work properly. The government needs to sort this.

But Surrey are a total outlier to be honest and are taking the piss. Anyone's who had any dealings with them will tell you they've been in denial for a while about the need to cut back spending. For instance, they issued all their staff with iphones a year or two back.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
The answer to the original question is no. They will spend it filling the current funding crisis caused by being starved of funding by central government.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes charge the public more and then don't fund said cause, when will people realise we're being taken for a ride? The money is there, it's the people that are in control of it we should be worrying about.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Yes charge the public more and then don't fund said cause, when will people realise we're being taken for a ride? The money is there, it's the people that are in control of it we should be worrying about.

Assuming this is not trolling can you elaborate on who has this money and why we should worry about what they are doing with it?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Assuming this is not trolling can you elaborate on who has this money and why we should worry about what they are doing with it?
OUR government does not spend OUR money wisely.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Everyone needs to pay more tax.

Government needs to stop wasting it.

Simples! Worlds 5th biggest economy and all that.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep. Was expecting this. Start raising taxes, start cutting things like DofE.
Want to appeal to the a higher body than the UK government? Soon there won't be one to appeal to.
Well done Leave voters, jaunt wait until the Tory government has total rule over us. Just wait.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here