Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Random question re band saw.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is there anyone out there who has a band saw that can be used to cut out wooden sections for the creation of a model boat cradle I am designing please?

I am building the Artesania Latina San Francisco 2 and it doesn't come with a construction cradle!

IMG_0003.JPG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can you not use a coping saw?

I am cutting through mahogany and I need to shape it like the hull in that picture...I suppose I could use a coping saw with a softer wood?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes, I can certainly confirm that that is a random question.

That really is quite a model though. I congratulate you sir. It really puts my Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mark 1 in it's place.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I am cutting through mahogany and I need to shape it like the hull in that picture...I suppose I could use a coping saw with a softer wood?

Is it a solid hull? If so I'm surprised you are intending to use a bandsaw.

Maybe you need to use a spokeshave and chisels to shape the wood.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is it a solid hull? If so I'm surprised you are intending to use a bandsaw.

Maybe you need to use a spokeshave and chisels to shape the wood.

No it's not to shape the hull, that is all cnc d wood, it's to create a cradle so I can rest whilst constructing it. It's a 1/90 scale so pretty big. There us a video on YouTube where a guy uses a band saw to cut and shape from a. Solid piece of oak the stand which forms a cradle effect...it's only whilst I am building it...afterwards I will mount the ship on a piece of mahogany and two brass pedestals.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
No it's not to shape the hull, that is all cnc d wood, it's to create a cradle so I can rest whilst constructing it. It's a 1/90 scale so pretty big. There us a video on YouTube where a guy uses a band saw to cut and shape from a. Solid piece of oak the stand which forms a cradle effect...it's only whilst I am building it...afterwards I will mount the ship on a piece of mahogany and two brass pedestals.

Ah ok. I didn't read the OP carefully enough. A band saw as you may know is a hefty piece of kit. Could you not take your plans to a place where they could do it for you? Don't know if it's still there but there's a wood reclamation place in Brighton called the Wood Store from memory at the bottom of Carlton Hill.

Might be an idea to start somewhere like that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh. I saw this and immediately assumed this was a mangled title by HBnB about a concert he'd been to.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
We got a band saw in the unit that we don't use and willing to sell if you wanting to buy one i will measure the blade today.
Don't want a lot for it.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I did a woodworking course at the Multi Skills Workshop in Hailsham earlier this year and they have all sorts of gear, including two bandsaws. You can pay by the hour to use the workshop and the guy who runs it is very helpful. Google it if the journey wouldn't be too far. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I did a woodworking course at the Multi Skills Workshop in Hailsham earlier this year and they have all sorts of gear, including two bandsaws. You can pay by the hour to use the workshop and the guy who runs it is very helpful. Google it if the journey wouldn't be too far. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks matt I will do.

Ah ok. I didn't read the OP carefully enough. A band saw as you may know is a hefty piece of kit. Could you not take your plans to a place where they could do it for you? Don't know if it's still there but there's a wood reclamation place in Brighton called the Wood Store from memory at the bottom of Carlton Hill.

Might be an idea to start somewhere like that.

The Wood Store has now moved to Preston Barracks, in Lewes Road (opposite Mithras House).

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The Wood Store has now moved to Preston Barracks, in Lewes Road (opposite Mithras House).

I wondered if it was still there.

The area around the Open Market and Circus Street was due for development so I guess that's either underway or due to be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here