Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flight Delay help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks Guys.
Letter sent (no lawyers involved). I was working on miles (2721) but it is 4378 kilometers so over that magic 3500 mark.
600 euros each plus £250 each from our insurance policy.
All because they really messed me up.

Don't thank us. That who ever it was which put the legislation in place :wink:

Herr Tubthumper, proud European.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Yes - technical and mechanical faults are allowed for compensation, weather related etc less so.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Thanks Guys.
Letter sent (no lawyers involved). I was working on miles (2721) but it is 4378 kilometers so over that magic 3500 mark.
600 euros each plus £250 each from our insurance policy.
All because they really messed me up.

Dont want to be a pedant but did you just write to them or did you follow the stated procedure for claiming on their website? Some airlines will ignore a letter but respond to their own form. Also, don't be put off if they initially reject your claim, some will try and put you off.

I went through similar a couple of years ago after being severely delayed by Monarch. They outright ignored 2 letters then I found a form on their site. Had to fill one in for each passenger. They initially rejected the claim because as it was a technical fault it was "outside their control". I then followed up with a letter suggested on the Martyn Lewis moneysavingexpert site and 3 days later Monarch paid up. Good luck, sounds like you deserve recompense after being treated like that

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I got £512 back from BA for a 5 hour delay ag JFK.

I'd ask either way they can only say no. Also male sure you claim for each person.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I got £512 back from BA for a 5 hour delay ag JFK.

I'd ask either way they can only say no. Also male sure you claim for each person.

I was delayed on Virgin for 17 hours at JFK a couple of weeks ago (9 of which were on the plane at the gate!).... Don't think I am entitled to comp though as there was a ridonkulous snow storm....

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Good luck. Thomson will fight it and it will take ages

They won't. It's a completely black and white process with clearly defined rules. My daughter's flight back from Gran Canaria with Thomson, just before Christmas made an unscheduled stop in Porto due to a technical issue, where they stayed (put up in a hotel), delayed 24 hours. It was a simple claim and she received the compensation in less than 2 weeks.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Yes - technical and mechanical faults are allowed for compensation, weather related etc less so.

Weather delays not covered at all. What needs sorting out next is the practice where as soon as a weather event is announced, the airlines take the opportunity to compress all passengers onto a minimum number of flights for that day. Had this last year. Geneva airport was closed by snow for an hour in the morning. Swiss Air had 5 scheduled flights that day from Heathrow to Geneva, all under-booked. They took the opportunity to put all passengers on the last flight of the day, even though they could have operated 4 of the flights. This saved them a fortune and no compensation was payable as it was classified as a weather delay. It's not just Swiss - they all do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here