Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vendee Globe Race

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What's the gap down to now

36.26 miles, with 330 to go!

It's all about the final tack down towards the finish now – they're both sailing way further north than the 'direct line' at present. At some point Armel will tack and it's all about whether Alex can find anything different tactically at that point that enables him to slash the gap. If he just keeps sailing 'behind' him, as he has been for the past few days and as Armel has been working hard to make him do, then he'll keep chipping away at the lead but probably not enough to catch up in time.

He damaged his starboard foil near the beginning of the race and had to hang over the side to cut it off!

Proper LAD is Alex.

34.5 nm behind now.

Get in there my son, hunt the bugger down.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Just been an update on the VG website. The wind instruments on Hugo Boss have broken, which means the autopilot can't be used. So Alex Thomson has been hand steering for two days without sleeping, is knackered and more concerned about safely getting to the finish than catching Banque Populaire.

From the interview, it sounds like he's effectively conceding the race and focusing on trying to fix his instruments.

Gutted for him.

Just been an update on the VG website. The wind instruments on Hugo Boss have broken, which means the autopilot can't be used. So Alex Thomson has been hand steering for two days without sleeping, is knackered and more concerned about safely getting to the finish than catching Banque Populaire.

From the interview, it sounds like he's effectively conceding the race and focusing on trying to fix his instruments.

Gutted for him.

It's a ruse I reckon to lull Le Froggy into a false sense of security.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Don't forget the Froggies are listening too.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
FireShot Capture 5 - News - Why do the two leaders have to _ - http___www.vendeeglobe.org_en_new.png

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
https://www.facebook.com/yachtingworldmagazine/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

The problem is that his masthead anenometer has broken which means that he cant sail using his autopilot on true wind angle so he has to sail using autopilot but using a magnetic bearing course. If the wind then changes direction, even slightly, he has to alter his sails or his course to suit to keep his speed up.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The froggy has overstood his tack by a bit, as he has to avoid entering the separation zone off Ushant. Alex has a chance, which is to not go as far NE and tack before the other boat did, and hope the wind will be kind. See my other screen grab.

FireShot Capture 6 - Vendée Globe 2016-2017 - http___tracking2016.vendeeglobe.org_gv5ip0_.png

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
this thread is great, I have no interest in sailing, but somehow this has gripped me to the point I check 3 or 4 times a day. I don't think Alex will catch the Frenchman, but what a chase down in the last 2-3 days. Exciting stuff

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Gap up to 87.6m this morning – guess he was being honest about the wind instruments. No chance of catching Le Cleac'h now, but respect to both men, it's been an epic race.

100 Miles behind?!? What the fudge happened?

His broken foil is basically acting like a brake

Think of the foil as an aircraft wing generating lift thus reducing the amount of the hull slipping through the water. The friction from the water is acting as a negative force, effectively slowing down the boat's progress.

His knackered foil iirc is on the starboard (right as you look to the pointy bit at the front) side so when he's on a port tack, with the wind coming from the left side or offshore as it is in the stretch they are in, the knackered stump will be in the water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here