Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cup run

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Well, if you call getting to the 4th round of the FA Cup a 'run', then yes. That match up at Sincil Bank though, will be a stern test for us. Maybe even tougher than if we had faced Ipswich.

Moreover we never seemed to perform very well at Lincoln, back in their league days. Shades of Hillsborough and Deepdale.

The U-23 side did OK away against AFC Wimbledon ( a League One side). OK, not so well against Russell Slade and Coventry, but that was a much weaker side than against AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons.

Think we lost against Lincoln away in the FA Cup the year we went up to the Championship via the play-offs, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The U-23 side is getting better and stronger this season and it is important that they and the rest of the 18/25 man squad get games so they are ready for first-team action during the run-in, to keep promotion momentum going.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On one level, despite the possible risks involved, it might just be a good idea to play a full strength side in any cup run this season, simply to keep the momentum going. The players have shown a bit of a worrying tendency to switch off for the first game back after any kind of mid-season break.

Absolutely this! Winning is a habit; losing may upset the momentum.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Our 2nd XI is still a good Championship side.

Maenpaa
Adekugbe/Poco
BFG
Goldson
Rosenior
Murphy
Sidwell
Norwood
March/Bjordal
Towell
Hemed

Would be my chosen 11 assuming Kayal and Stephens get a chance together in the upcoming league games. I think this team would have a very good chance of getting to the 5th round.

Good team Only one I disagree with is Murphy, keep him for the first team and replace with Skalak.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Good team Only one I disagree with is Murphy, keep him for the first team and replace with Skalak.

I think I'd prefer it to. I don't expect CH will play Skalak in the cup though. We can all be sure Knockaert will be wrapped in cotton wool deep in Lancing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Makes no odds, the winning momentum has been broken. :shrug:

Hopefully a blip, which we will come back from, but OK, if your shrug indicates that you think that's it, we've blown it, carry on. Anybody who thinks their team is never going to lose is living in La-La Land. Losing one difficult away match is different to giving half the team another mid-winter break, and risking subjecting those who do play to the morale sapping effect of being turned over by minnows, with Brighton's humiliation emblazoned over the back pages on Sunday morning.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Hopefully a blip, which we will come back from, but OK, if your shrug indicates that you think that's it, we've blown it, carry on. Anybody who thinks their team is never going to lose is living in La-La Land. Losing one difficult away match is different to giving half the team another mid-winter break, and risking subjecting those who do play to the morale sapping effect of being turned over by minnows, with Brighton's humiliation emblazoned over the back pages on Sunday morning.

No, we have far from 'blown it'. My point is, obviously, that we may well lose games without it stalling our momentum. Playing our 2nd or 3rd XI in the Cup makes perfect sense, and this particular season when we go out I will not lose too much sleep. The League has to be our priority, and a 2nd XI getting dumped out of the Cup will have no bearing upon the 1st XI.
I still feel we are in a good place, but the Cup has no consequence for me right now.
We won't win it this year, leave it for another.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course. If people count the fa cup why not that?

Because the FA Cup is a first team competition, and the Checkatrade is an U21 competition (for us)?

By your logic, we haven't lost 2 in a row at all, as we WON in the FA Youth Cup on Friday.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No, we have far from 'blown it'. My point is, obviously, that we may well lose games without it stalling our momentum. Playing our 2nd or 3rd XI in the Cup makes perfect sense, and this particular season when we go out I will not lose too much sleep. The League has to be our priority, and a 2nd XI getting dumped out of the Cup will have no bearing upon the 1st XI.
I still feel we are in a good place, but the Cup has no consequence for me right now.

Agree, great experience for some fringe players. Really looking forward to the Lincoln away day, could be a while before we go there again

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I feel we are in a good place too - and I believe it could be enhanced by a good cup run. Humiliation at Lincoln, and being one of the boobies in this year's FA Cup could potentially damage us (not fatally, I don't think, but I really don't want to risk the play-offs again!)

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
......and being one of the boobies in this year's FA Cup could potentially damage us

Remember there is always the catastrophe resident up the A23.

Capture.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here