Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding fans who have passed away

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I see on Twitter that we are being asked to applaud a long standing fan at the next game. This got me thinking. Will you be joining in? Does it matter if it has or hasn't been sanctioned by the club? Is it ok if this happens at every game? More than once a game (who'd get preference?).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Before or after the game sure. Without wanting to disrespect the departed I can't be doing with these x minute clapping sessions, I just want to enjoy the flow of the game.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I haven't passed away yet, but please could I have a minutes applause at the next home game in case the fixture closest to my actual demise is fully booked.

Cheers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No.

It's been discussed before. Where does it all end ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The majority NSC view on this has been quite well established.

I assume the penny has dropped with the club that this cannot proliferate to something that happens at every match and potentially multiple times.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unfortunately the club will appear like the bad guys if requests like this are refused.

They should sort out an annual game for this asap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not from me. Sorry but enough is enough, it's getting to be every game now.

This. It is almost de rigeur that every kit has a shirt with a black arm band on it, now. If it really did galvanize the community, then maybe . . . but it smacks of tokenistic emoting to me. Scuse me, just have to stand up, somewhere someone is whistling the national anthem. . . . .

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They're probably all turning in their graves as well.

One of those things relatives are probably doing for themselves more than honouring the memory.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Can I be the first to RIP you, just in case I lose my internet connection when the 'inevitable happens? :angel:

Thanks mate. It's what I would have wanted :angel:

I hope Bozza takes the Board down and just plays a sombre montage of my posts.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Unfortunately the club will appear like the bad guys if requests like this are refused.

They should sort out an annual game for this asap.

Agreed. Unless it's a significant thing or particularly tragic event, people asking should be told their person will be added to the list for the end of season montage. I really don't want to sound harsh but a line has to be drawn somewhere and a set game at the end of season is a nice touch.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Agreed. Unless it's a significant thing or particularly tragic event, people asking should be told their person will be added to the list for the end of season montage. I really don't want to sound harsh but a line has to be drawn somewhere and a set game at the end of season is a nice touch.

We have quite a large segment of fans who take the football as an opportunity for a kids fanzone, a commemorative lovein, a twirling of the half&half scarves and to rise and applaud in awe the away section who have trudged through mordor to get to horrible little Brighton. To these rather strange beings the football is rather secondary, which is evident from their departure on 80 minutes.

Need to put a stop to this now before it gets to ridiculous levels where we're applauding several times a game. Leave it for the pre-match buildup if we have to do it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here