Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding fans who have passed away

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If we had a minute's applause for every fan who passed away each season, we'd be clapping for every minute of every home game. Enough is enough. People criticising the club, mainly on Twitter, need to get a grip.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I would go for the once a season 'respect' game. Maybe last game where all the lost fans/players/managers could be remembered.

would have thought something just before the last home kick off, those no longer with us type of thing like at the oscars would be ideal.
i can see the day where the beginning of a minutes applause is interrupted by a hotly disputed penalty followed by a fight and two sendings off, a manager banned from the touchline,and much swearing........hardly dignified

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There was a thread on one of the BHA facebook groups yesterday. Someone pleading for everyone to join in a mins applause on whatever minute it was for his dear departed grandad. Post after post saying 'great idea', 'email Barber', 'tweet all the players and ask them to retweet' etc etc. The misapplied power of social media. Big no from me.

aberdare seagull

Feb 28, 2014
south wales
Without wanting to sound harsh people die everyday. Grieve with family and friends in private. It all comes across as look at me, when requesting people grieve with you for someone they never knew.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
There was a long thread on this subject just recently.

I would go for the once a season 'respect' game. Maybe last game where all the lost fans/players/managers could be remembered.

That would be a good solution. Yes, at the end of each season for me but only then.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A memorial game at the start of each season, a "Charity" match, we acknowledge all those fans who sadly have passed away and a percentage of the profit goes to loacl charities. Maybe one of the earlier friendlies.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There was a thread on one of the BHA facebook groups yesterday. Someone pleading for everyone to join in a mins applause on whatever minute it was for his dear departed grandad. Post after post saying 'great idea', 'email Barber', 'tweet all the players and ask them to retweet' etc etc. The misapplied power of social media. Big no from me.

Any mention on Facebook of the Albion fans name that died?
I read about this on Twitter but no mention of the chaps name.

I can just imagine Friday when the clapping starts.
" Who are we clapping for this time? "
" Don't know :shrug: someone's grandad died, saw it on Twitter "

RIP to the grandad obviously, but it seems odd that the poor chaps name hasn't been mentioned, on Twitter anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Any mention on Facebook of the Albion fans name that died?
I read about this on Twitter but no mention of the chaps name.

I can just imagine Friday when the clapping starts.
" Who are we clapping for this time? "
" Don't know :shrug: someone's grandad died, saw it on Twitter "

RIP to the grandad obviously, but it seems odd that the poor chaps name hasn't been mentioned, on Twitter anyway.
Link (if it works)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thebrightonfcbanterbook/permalink/788536494636547/

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So, let's have a big montage at the last home game. A game where we might want a win to secure promotion, so do we a) dampen the mood and have a sombre clap pre-game or b) win the game and promotion and then tell everyone to stop celebrating as we now need to do a clap for the dearly departed! 🤔

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, let's have a big montage at the last home game. A game where we might want a win to secure promotion, so do we a) dampen the mood and have a sombre clap pre-game or b) win the game and promotion and then tell everyone to stop celebrating as we now need to do a clap for the dearly departed! 🤔

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
Yes. First game of the season is better.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If we had a minute's applause for every fan who passed away each season, we'd be clapping for every minute of every home game. Enough is enough. People criticising the club, mainly on Twitter, need to get a grip.

Agree with this. We've got 23000 season ticket holders, and if you go off UK mortality rates, that's about 200 who will pass away each year. That's potentially 7-8 deaths between every home game!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The majority NSC view on this has been quite well established.

I assume the penny has dropped with the club that this cannot proliferate to something that happens at every match and potentially multiple times.

It's nothing to do with the club. It was a request by an albion fan following the death of his uncle, a fellow albion fan. Are you suggestion the club ban these things? Surely it is up to the fans themselves.

Personally I think it is not a bad idea to have an end of season memorial type thing, but as we find with a lot of end of season things, people are in the bars etc whilst it is going on. I can't remember the last time I saw the player of the season award on the pitch.

Talking of which, does anyone remember back at the goldstone, a player of the year award being presented and it was a small telly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here