Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No guarantee of help for disabled passengers, says Southern

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Southern rail users with disabilities face delayed journeys or the prospect of no longer being able to board some trains after the company said there was no “cast-iron guarantee” that assistance would be available at all stations.

Southern has admitted it may have to book taxis for disabled travellers who cannot complete their journey because the only member of staff on the train is the driver.

Previously there were 33 stations across the Southern rail network where passengers in need of assistance to get on or off the train could turn up and be guaranteed help."

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Perhaps a staged incident then. A wheelchair bound person with friends helping with the ramp onto the train whilst doors open and then with the agreement of the wheelchair bound person just leaving it whilst waiting for 'official' help. Train cant move, doors wont close and point made. Maybe at several stations at the same time across the network.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, Premier League football clubs will be fined for not providing enough disabled seating etc, but Southern Rail will still pick up their millions for restricting disabled provision.
What a terrible state of affairs.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
So, Premier League football clubs will be fined for not providing enough disabled seating etc, but Southern Rail will still pick up their millions for restricting disabled provision.
What a terrible state of affairs.

Oh they may get fined but have a guess what they will do to recoup the cash, yep you guessed raise rail fares.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shameful and disgusting

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But I thought the whole point of doing away with the guards was to improve the travellers experience.

I suspect that some will say laying on a taxi does improve the Southern experience.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
the company said there was no “cast-iron guarantee” that assistance would be available at all stations.

Previously there were 33 stations across the Southern rail network where passengers in need of assistance to get on or off the train could turn up and be guaranteed help."

These two lines don't marry up, do they?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
does this mean the system where you book up assistance in advance is still in effect?
anyone know?
and is there more to this announcement than a couple of lines?

albionite

May 20, 2009
The driver isn't allowed to help a disabled person on, at same time they can not move the train if that person stays between train and yellow line.

Will be interesting how they handle the delays.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
the right to guaranteed assistance has quietly disappeared. Previous train maps specified the stations where passengers needing assistance could turn up and travel. Now, the maps on the trains say that if such passengers do not book help in advance, “there might be a significant delay to your journey”.

A spokesman for GTR said: “It would be correct to say that there is no cast-iron guarantee that passengers with accessibility requirements can spontaneously board a train in the assumption there would be a second member of staff on board every train.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I was helped on a train at Falmer.I was on crutches at the time having broken my leg. the very kind railway gentleman assisted me on to the train by pushing me knocking me flying.Other passengers came to my assistance but he just walked away. As you can imagine I was very impressed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here