Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor at it again

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Personally I hate Pompey more than Palace, but you are correct here. It's unrequited so we moved on from them around 1974. You can see that on NSC - how many Portsmouth fans do we get on here?

Exactly. Usually just the odd homophobic walking autopsy specimen on the few occasions when we actually play them.

There's really not a lot in it for me in terms of who I dislike more out of CPFC2010 and "Pompey". With Palace its requited though, so I'm slightly more overtly anti-Palace. And they smell of wee wee.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's not manufactured at all. Just because it didn't start in the middle ages doesn't make it manufactured. It's a very real and very bitter rivalry and it's been one for 40 years now. When does it become real? 50 years? 100? Total ill informed nonsense from Naylor. I'm not bothered about Pompey, in my experience that is more important the further west in the county you live but for some especially in LA that is very real too.

Palace? I absolutely hate them, so does pretty much everyone I know and I refuse to be told by a journalist or anyone else who I choose to irrationally hate. If in 50 years we all hate Chelsea or West Ham because of a PL incident then so be it. Maybe we'll hate those Madrid or Munich *******s? I'll still hate the Pikey's too thanks all the same!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"the manufactured rivalry with Albion has never really interested me.."

It doesn't interest me that it doesn't interest you Andy. Just do the cuffing news.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I detect the whiff of envy from Mr Naylor, showed his hand a bit methinks. Thats a bit of a snipe, along the lines of 'plastic', totally unnecessary and also complete bollox.
Nothing manufactured about the way we feel about Palarce, the circumstances that ignited the animosity between us are slightly different for the fans of the 70's and 80's but the rivalry is very very real. Pompey and Southampton have always been up there as our south coast rivals, in my experience Pompey more so, but Palace! Come on Naylor, you plank.:wanker:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Not really. Most older Albion fans also say the rivalry with Palace is a manufactured one. I've certainly never been fussed about their results

As BG points out, the real rivalry is with Portsmouth #twats
None that I speak to.... I am 54... I am wholly in favour of the Palace rivalry, it was born out of the cup games... 40 years is not recent.

All rivalries that arent a direct geographical issue, emerged from an event or series of events.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If anyone thinks the rivalry is manufactured they either weren't at the Goldstone in the 70s or they are talking about the past 15 years. Yes, I admit it may seem now people are clinging onto a rivalry that rarely surfaces but it was there, it was real and it certainly wasn't manufactured. I don't condone any of the violence or hatred shown either then or now, but it would be wrong to leave younger people thinking this is either a recent thing or has always been about a song or two. To be honest I'm a lover not a fighter and really enjoy nothing more than friendly banter, and wish it to remain the way it seems to be now, enjoy the songs, but drop the hate is my message.

"You burnt your own town" being a classic example

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not really. Most older Albion fans also say the rivalry with Palace is a manufactured one.
How was it manufactured? What do you think that even means? The CEOs didn't get together for a beer and say 'let's pretend to be rivals to help get the crowd involved'. There was genuine bitterness, and where I grew up in the middle of the two clubs there was a rivalry.

I've certainly never been fussed about their results
Good for you. We don't all have to feel the same as you.

Do Portsmouth fans even know?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Going back to the 50s the rivalry was us and Portsmouth and Southampton with Bournemouth. Palace were never even mentioned either for or against.

Sorry BG that's a load of nonsense. My grandad was a Saints man, used to go to St Mary's and Portsmouth were always their rival because the two cities hated each other. . They may have played bournemouth a lot in the 50's but that didn't make them the main rivals in the same way Orient didn't replace Palace for us when we were at the bottom of the league.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
His article (no link attached - sorry Andy) today starts with:

"The most meaningful result at the weekend came at the Olympic Stadium. Not because Palace were hammered - the manufactured rivalry with Albion has never really interested me.."

Get her!

Simple explanation "Click bait", he sat in a bar, alone, thinking of how to ignite the passions of the Albion fan base and hit the "BINGO" button, come on everyone, leave him be and don't help his bonus by getting more followers / increasing his readership.

BTW He will write about NSC reaction too, very soon

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
could ours be said to be 'manufactured'? As others said there wasn't a rivalry, then a whole succession of things happened in the late 70s that caused a lot of bad blood and this has persisted. I wasn't around then, but in what sense was it manufactured?
Correct. It wasn't manufactured in the slightest. It arose naturally in the mid/late 1970s and for a a few years it was very passionate and all-consuming.

It has admittedly been on life-support for the last 30 years as the two clubs have gone their separate paths and in that respect its continuing existence is 'manufactured' to an extent - but it's all we've got. I don't really want to go back to hating Bournemouth or Fulham.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with it. As far as I can tell, it's an opinion/review piece, as opposed to an Albion-related story (I'm not giving the Arsegas the satisfaction of finding out), so AN has a LITTLE more freedom to express an opinion. It's a passing comment on why that game was the most meaningful result to him and – because it involved Palace – maybe he wasn't just saying that because it's in the paper of CPFC's 'rivals'.

I've not read the paper – or his stuff – for a while, but I've always found him to do a good job. I'm not sure this could be seen as a snipe.

Nice pun on them being 'hammered' too :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not really. Most older Albion fans also say the rivalry with Palace is a manufactured one. I've certainly never been fussed about their results

Hmmm. Don't really agree. I think we all agree that before 1975 Palace were just another club; there was no regional rivalry that existed prior to football (like there is between Portsmouth and Southampton). If circumstances had been different Palace's place as 'bitter rivals' could easily have been taken by QPR, Charlton, Fulham or Bournemouth.

I'm not sure why it's continued tbh given the gulf that soon developed between the clubs, it's a bit like people singing 'going up to win the cup', it was a brief period in time that people can't let go of. I guess a lot (but by no means all) of us older fans are a bit ambivalent about it as we remember the time when it didn't exist.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If anything it's surely organic rather than manufactured, since we already had a rival so why would we feel the need to artificially create another.

Though i'm no expert, having been born in the 80s.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
"the manufactured rivalry with Albion has never really interested me.."

It doesn't interest me that it doesn't interest you Andy. Just do the cuffing news.

Here here, started my Albion following day on the Arsgas and Naylors quip made the blood boil. As a fan who lived through the 1970's, where heated close intense games were very real, where 2 managers openly showed their disgust for each other and the club's they managed, this is in no way a rent-a-rival rivalry.

This became very real by 2 sets of passionate fans, with 2 passionate outspoken managers and the competitiveness, passion and mutual dislike caused by the intensity of those real moments is in no way manufacturered.
Naylor couldnt understand, he wasn't there, he doesn't have the fire in his heart real Albion and Palace fans do, he never lived through any of that time and all the ding dongs and open hostility since.

He follows Brighton with his head win/lose or draw to pay his mortgage, he doesn't have that tribal instinct that's in the blood of Albion die hards. He's not experienced the fights, Hove train station/hove park, pubs, bubble fixtures, police and dogs from his comfy journo box. He's not seen the genuine venom and hatred in the eyes of palace fans, who genuinely do hate us in the same measure for all the same reasons.

Everything that Naylor does is manufactured as it's not from the heart or the viewpoint of a real passionate Brighton fan. As real fans it may not always be rational but it's absolutely real. Stick to facts Naylor and shut up about what you have zero understanding.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Cut AN some slack, he is still waiting for some-one to give him some exclusive transfer news on the Albion ... ERNEST where are you, your spy must have some info

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Here here, started my Albion following day on the Arsgas and Naylors quip made the blood boil. As a fan who lived through the 1970's, where heated close intense games were very real, where 2 managers openly showed their disgust for each other and the club's they managed, this is in no way a rent-a-rival rivalry.

This became very real by 2 sets of passionate fans, with 2 passionate outspoken managers and the competitiveness, passion and mutual dislike caused by the intensity of those real moments is in no way manufacturered.
Naylor couldnt understand, he wasn't there, he doesn't have the fire in his heart real Albion and Palace fans do, he never lived through any of that time and all the ding dongs and open hostility since.

He follows Brighton with his head win/lose or draw to pay his mortgage, he doesn't have that tribal instinct that's in the blood of Albion die hards. He's not experienced the fights, Hove train station/hove park, pubs, bubble fixtures, police and dogs from his comfy journo box. He's not seen the genuine venom and hatred in the eyes of palace fans, who genuinely do hate us in the same measure for all the same reasons.

Everything that Naylor does is manufactured as it's not from the heart or the viewpoint of a real passionate Brighton fan. As real fans it may not always be rational but it's absolutely real. Stick to facts Naylor and shut up about what you have zero understanding.

This. With bells and a cherry on top.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
I detect the whiff of envy from Mr Naylor, showed his hand a bit methinks. Thats a bit of a snipe, along the lines of 'plastic', totally unnecessary and also complete bollox.
Nothing manufactured about the way we feel about Palarce, the circumstances that ignited the animosity between us are slightly different for the fans of the 70's and 80's but the rivalry is very very real. Pompey and Southampton have always been up there as our south coast rivals, in my experience Pompey more so, but Palace! Come on Naylor, you plank.:wanker:

I seem to remember we didn't like Bournemouth, either, in the early 1970s and recall some hassle from their supporters down there then - even on a weekend school trip to Bridport.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here