Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor at it again

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Going back to the 50s the rivalry was us and Portsmouth and Southampton with Bournemouth. Palace were never even mentioned either for or against.

Apart from the fact that we only played Portsmouth ONCE in the 1950s of course. We played Palace EIGHTEEN times in the same decade

Portsmouth and Southampton HATE each other and it goes WAY deeper than football. Southampton regard Bournemouth as a minor irritation.

As far as I'm concerned, the Palace thing grew (as did most football rivalries) in the mid 70s, when the tribal element of football supporting really took off. That, Alan Mullery, Ron Challis and the 17 meetings between '74 and '81 ALL of which meant something.

We played Portsmouth 5 times in the 1970s

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I don't have an issue with AN's comments. It's only a throwaway line, and it is an opinion piece, so he gives his. Just because some of might not share his viewpoint doesn't make him any less of a journalist.

Personally I loathe Palace, wish they lose every game, and won't watch MoTD if they have won..............which means I have watched a lot of MoTD in the last 12 months.

But if your opinion is demonstrably inaccurate? You give your opinion on football finance, if everytime you went on the radio your "opinion" was just plain wrong what would be the point. It's AN on a wind up and we have been suckered in but I don't see the point. After all, no-one will rush out to buy an Argus on the back of it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I reckon about 60 is the youngest cut off age to possibly cling onto the "Pompey are our true rivals" delusion. Don't want to be unkind to individuals but it smacks of some sort of Harry Enfield character behaviour.

I wish with every bone in my body for Palace to keep losing and go down but unfortunately they have a number of very winnable home fixtures left and the bottom 3 are also set on helping them survive with a very low points total.

Compensation for Palace staying up will come when we can get up, strengthen, and then help relegate them.

Well I'm in that age group and I don't think Portsmouth were ever our real rivals. We've had our moments of course, but as has been pointed out by many others It's them and Southampton and vice-versa.

Now Bournemouth, that's a different matter. That was a more natural rivalry as we were both 'little' clubs and there was (is?) even some rivalry between the towns as we compete for tourist and conference business. Nothing like the enmity between Portsmouth and Southampton of course, and also the Brighton/Bournemouth pre-Palace rivalry never matched the same level of animosity and hatred that the Palace rivalry did. (Even though that period was very short-lived).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Do you really think Leicester see Coventry as their main rival? Not in my experience they don't. Whether Derby or Forest reciprocate it is irrelevant.

I never said Cov is Lesta's main rival. But if not then I'm interested to know who is (for both) as pretty much any team you are likely to say has a bigger rival already.

And dont forget "There is nothing sadder than a club pretending that they're the main rivals to another club who couldn't give a toss about them - now that IS manufactured."

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Bournemouth are to Southampton what we are to Pompey. Quite similar really as more hate on one side.

All south coast games have a decent edge to them to be fair.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Well I'm in that age group and I don't think Portsmouth were ever our real rivals. We've had our moments of course, but as has been pointed out by many others It's them and Southampton and vice-versa.
QUOTE]

My dad told me that growing up in Shoreham in the 40s and 50s a lot of the time he used to go to watch the Albion and Pompey on alternate Saturdays. Albion as a supporter and Pompey games as an interested neutral. Apparently quite a few did the same. We were both there when the rivalry with Palace started and I can assure you that there is no way my old man would have gone to Selhurst oin any terms other than wanting the visiting side to win. If he was still alive today he'd be 77, so I don't get this 'Palace rivalry only for the youngsters' stuff either

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As BG points out, the real rivalry is with Portsmouth #twats

Not at all. One may think about Pompey if one is from West Sussex but here in the East Portsmouth doesn't register. I believe we've played palace more than them anyway and we are nearer to palace as well.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Apart from the fact that we only played Portsmouth ONCE in the 1950s of course. We played Palace EIGHTEEN times in the same decade

Portsmouth and Southampton HATE each other and it goes WAY deeper than football. Southampton regard Bournemouth as a minor irritation.

As far as I'm concerned, the Palace thing grew (as did most football rivalries) in the mid 70s, when the tribal element of football supporting really took off. That, Alan Mullery, Ron Challis and the 17 meetings between '74 and '81 ALL of which meant something.

We played Portsmouth 5 times in the 1970s

Both Portsmouth and Southampton were of course, both major naval cities, the former the home of the Royal Navy, and the latter, the Merchant Marine.

That in itself engendered a fair amount of rivalry, and the largely working class population loved it's football.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I seem to remember we didn't like Bournemouth, either, in the early 1970s and recall some hassle from their supporters down there then - even on a weekend school trip to Bridport.....

There have been a few ups and downs with various teams, but for me Palarse is the one thats got the most history, depth of feeling and longevity. For most BHA fans it is quite an 'old school' thing. I would think that most of our lot joining in 'arse related banter, who are under 35, would not have a clue what it is all about; but for us oldies telling the tales of old! I'm sure the same goes for that lot up the road. As much as I hate them, it wouldn't be the same without them, Batman without the Joker.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not at all. One may think about Pompey if one of from West Sussex but here in the East Portsmouth doesn't register. I believe we've played palace more than them anyway and we are nearer to palace as well.

From Eastbourne maybe so, but from Brighton the distance to either Croydon or Portsmouth is almost exactly the same.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
For what it's worth,

Brighton have played Portsmouth 43 times in league and cup matches.
Brighton have played Crystal Palace 96 times in league and cup matches.

In both cases, we have won more than we have lost.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
His article (no link attached - sorry Andy) today starts with:

"The most meaningful result at the weekend came at the Olympic Stadium. Not because Palace were hammered - the manufactured rivalry with Albion has never really interested me.."

Get her!

Disagree with Naylor. But only because of the word 'manufactured'. Would much prefer the word 'fake'. Or 'pantomime'. Never really interested me either. It's complete bollocks frankly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Now Bournemouth, that's a different matter.
As I understand it, this was one of those passing rivalries, pre-Palace. I believe it stemmed from a season we were both vying for promotion to what is now the Championship and they "took" the north stand back in the days when there was no segregation and all you had to do was get there early enough to stand where you wanted.

Personally I find non-local rivalry a lot more interesting to be honest.

Luton hate Watford of course but there was apparently a lot of spite between Albion and Luton before they moved onto QPR in the 80s. I think Leicester and Portsmouth aren't best of friends and nor are Plymouth and Burnley.

Poor old Bournemouth though - nobody gives a toss about them. Nor Reading. I'm amazed they don't look at each other. Some sort "plucky tin pot" derby perhaps. Charlton are another side it's hard to care about in a negative way - certainly nobody else in South or East London does.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Charlton are another side it's hard to care about in a negative way - certainly nobody else in South or East London does.

People only don't care about Charlton because nearby Palace are so repugnant and dislikeable.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
First time I was ever searched was getting off the train at Boscombe in the early 70s so for that reason alone I will continue to cock a snook at them.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From Eastbourne maybe so, but from Brighton the distance to either Croydon or Portsmouth is almost exactly the same.
Google has Brighton to Croydon as 43 miles and Brighton to Pompey as 50 so that's nowhere near 'almost exactly the same'. They are both quite near though. From Hastings in the East it's only 59 miles to Croydon but a whopping 83 to Portsmouth.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Personally I find non-local rivalry a lot more interesting to be honest... I think Leicester and Portsmouth aren't best of friends and nor are Plymouth and Burnley.

Interesting that you mention Leicester. I'm sure [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] can back this up too, there's a bit of history between them and Chelsea to the point that Chelsea sing about them... "We all follow the Chelsea over land and sea and Leicester..".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here