Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor at it again

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His article (no link attached - sorry Andy) today starts with:

"The most meaningful result at the weekend came at the Olympic Stadium. Not because Palace were hammered - the manufactured rivalry with Albion has never really interested me.."

Get her!

He supports another team, and can eff off. About time the Evening Anus appointed a local as lead sport writer. Someone like Callum May at the beeb. FFS! And at a MASSIVE salary.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Despite being name checked on various Nigel boards as someone they don't like very much, I very much agree with you. I have plenty of Palace fans as friends seeing as I live in the area, and they are all far better to talk football than the armchair billy big club twàts you have to put up with in the office who have never even been to a game. Oh and you're spot on with regard to "Chels". :nono:

Nope. All about Swindon for Oxford. And that one is very much reciprocated. They really don't care about Reading.
Actually that's not true as it's always been feisty between the two and personally Oxford v reading should be bigger than Swindon v Oxford....Swindon are West Country buffoons basically and reading/oxford are in the Thames valley.Ive been to reading v aldershot twice and the crowds were piss poor and the atmosphere was shite.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Actually that's not true as it's always been feisty between the two and personally Oxford v reading should be bigger than Swindon v Oxford....Swindon are West Country buffoons basically and reading/oxford are in the Thames valley.Ive been to reading v aldershot twice and the crowds were piss poor and the atmosphere was shite.
Go to any Swindon or Oxford message board and they'll tell you they don't give a shiny shite about Reading.

Your idea that the Reading rivalry "should" be bigger than Swindon for Oxford ignores the animosity between the two places that transcends football.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Both Portsmouth and Southampton were of course, both major naval cities, the former the home of the Royal Navy, and the latter, the Merchant Marine.

That in itself engendered a fair amount of rivalry, and the largely working class population loved it's football.

I thought it had something to do with a strike and Southamton dockers went back to work, and the anomosity grew between the towns.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Google has Brighton to Croydon as 43 miles and Brighton to Pompey as 50 so that's nowhere near 'almost exactly the same'. They are both quite near though. From Hastings in the East it's only 59 miles to Croydon but a whopping 83 to Portsmouth.

Yes but I'd presume much of the palace support is south of the border in Sussex and Surrey hence the rivalry....

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Go to any Swindon or Oxford message board and they'll tell you they don't give a shiny shite about Reading.

Your idea that the Reading rivalry "should" be bigger than Swindon for Oxford ignores the animosity between the two places that transcends football.
I've been to Oxford v reading numerous times.....always kicks off and also they had a clash at the reading festival weekend about 7 years ago.
Message boards between them come to a grand total of about 400 people lol....It's a feisty encounter for sure trust me :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've been to Oxford v reading numerous times.....always kicks off and also they had a clash at the reading festival weekend about 7 years ago.
Message boards on their sites come to a grand total of about 400 people between them lol....It's a feisty encounter for sure trust me :)
Maybe, but it's nothing like Swindon v Oxford. That is a proper two way rivalry with each being the arch enemy of the other. Reading don't feature.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's your opinion naturally :)
Yes, my opinion. And naturally, also the opinions of Oxford, Swindon and Reading fans. You're just wrong I'm afraid.

Why not Google "the Oxford/Swindon rivalry explained"? There is a whole thread on a READING forum about it. It starts off with a BBC link explaining the Oxford/Swindon rivalry, and is full of Reading fans then agreeing that for both of those two sets of fans, it is indeed the main game and that Reading is very much a secondary game for both.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From my youth it was Pompey and to a lesser degree Bournemouth and even Leyton Orient. The Palace thing exploded as a mutual hatred in the 70's. I tend to view it as a relic of the thuggishness that persisted into the eighties. Because of it we now have bubble-policing, all-seater stadia, and Brighton are still stuck with a nonsensical rivalry

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From my youth it was Pompey and to a lesser degree Bournemouth and even Leyton Orient. The Palace thing exploded as a mutual hatred in the 70's. I tend to view it as a relic of the thuggishness that persisted into the eighties. Because of it we now have bubble-policing, all-seater stadia, and Brighton are still stuck with a nonsensical rivalry
Please explain why palace as the NEAREST league team (I'm not counting Crawley as they are recent) is a nonsensical rivalry?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I thought it had something to do with a strike and Southamton dockers went back to work, and the anomosity grew between the towns.

That's the same sort of crap made up by tabloid reporters that says the Millwall v West ham rivalry is about dock strikes , which it isn't, it.was about being the top dog in London.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As I understand it, this was one of those passing rivalries, pre-Palace. I believe it stemmed from a season we were both vying for promotion to what is now the Championship and they "took" the north stand back in the days when there was no segregation and all you had to do was get there early enough to stand where you wanted. ....
Broadly speaking you’re correct. Prior to Palace in 1976 the general overall consensus was that Brighton didn’t have a real rival, clubs would come onto the radar and then drop off again. When we discussed it in the school playground, rather like this thread there was never any agreement. In our school Bournemouth and Fulham were the two names that cropped up the most with Portsmouth being a very distant third. In my youth the Bournemouth ‘thing’ seemed to be the biggest, but compared to Palace it was tinpot and it had fizzled out long before 1976.

And it is amazing how quickly the Palace rivalry took off. I went to Selhurst Park for the Palace v Brighton fixture in the 75/76 season. It was a midweek game, quite early (it might even have been our first one). Brighton won 1-0 and when we scored whilst it’s an exaggeration to say you could hear a pin drop there were only a relative handful of Brighton fans there. I was sitting with in with the Palace fans (with my Palace-supporting Dad), cheering for Brighton and no one batted an eyelid. And after the game there were no road closures and no huge police presence to keep the vast hordes of passionate rival fans apart. Neither club gave a toss, it was just a bog-standard local-ish match. Fast-forward to the corresponding fixture the following season and the difference was incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here