Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another signing

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My point is that it doesnt show much confidence in Sanchez and Vose both being young and a position we didnt need to improve on during this window.

Yet again you are wide of the mark. It allows Sanchez and Vose to explore more loan moves to gain experience. They can play first team football at a lower level where they will come up against older players, stronger players than they will playing under 23's football. This will only help their development, but it doesn't surprise me that you cannot see that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Exactly. If we don't go up, both Stockdale and Maenpaa are out of contract and one of them may well leave, which would make Walton second choice. Alternatively, if we go up, I imagine he will go on loan again to a Championship side, ideally. He definitely won't be competing with the under 23 keepers.

As for the other under 23 keepers, as others have said, they will have the chance to go out on loan as we have more options.

Is that a new idea we spend money signing players to send out on loan to other clubs?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Yet again you are wide of the mark. It allows Sanchez and Vose to explore more loan moves to gain experience. They can play first team football at a lower level where they will come up against older players, stronger players than they will playing under 23's football. This will only help their development, but it doesn't surprise me that you cannot see that.

It's almost like he's not read the article or any of the responses on here. But his immediate knee jerk, ill informed reaction must be right because he thought of it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Do we not have youth to bring forward tio take their place? Is that not the idea of the academy?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My point is that it doesnt show much confidence in Sanchez and Vose both being young and a position we didnt appear to need to improve on during this window.

If I was you I'd write to Tony Bloom and tell him he has wasted money and we clearly 'don't need' him. The ink might still be wet on the contract

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is that a new idea we spend money signing players to send out on loan to other clubs?

Do you not read what I said. We need a goalkeeper to play in goal for the under 23s. Do you agree with that? If we want to send out Vose and/or Sanchez on loan, we need to sign someone. Maybe we're on the verge of loaning out one of them to get first team games. I don't know. The key point is you have no idea either yet you are saying it is a strange signing. Maybe there is stuff happening that you don't know about it that means it is a logical signing.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Need 3 keepers I'd have thought and now have 3

ummmmmmm sounds like a useful move and see how he does for the rest of the season. If one of the other 2 is going on loan then we'll have 2 not 1 left. Especially with stricter limits of recalls this year

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We are not Chelsea and have their untold wealth, I wouldn't think. I am sorry that I see this as a non essential signing and because I disagree with the reasons given that makes me wrong I am sorry to have an opinion.

I really don't think signing a 19 year old from Reading is going to break the bank. You might disagree with the reasons the club have said they've signed him but they are a lot better placed than us to judge how a player might benefit from a loan move and how to potentially strengthen our own youth ranks at the same time.

You are welcome to an opinion but most of the time you form it without having all the facts and then stick to it even when others point out things that you may have missed when the story broke.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I really don't think signing a 19 year old from Reading is going to break the bank. You might disagree with the reasons the club have said they've signed him but they are a lot better placed than us to judge how a player might benefit from a loan move and how to potentially strengthen our own youth ranks at the same time.

You are welcome to an opinion but most of the time you form it without having all the facts and then stick to it even when others point out things that you may have missed when the story broke.

As you say the club know best, which I am prepared to accept, but this a discussion forum for fans to discuss issues. whether they are informed or not so that is what I have done.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
As you say the club know best, which I am prepared to accept, but this a discussion forum for fans to discuss issues. whether they are informed or not so that is what I have done.

Indeed you have.

Now may I respectfully suggest that you spend some more time thinking about letting go of the shovel earlier.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We have signed a 19 year old goalkeeper on loan to end of the season from Reading for the DS but why? Are they not happy with what we have or is this a view to permanent and if so what about Walton.on loan to Luton.

I thought young Robert Sanchez was doing pretty well, he certainly had a good game up at Coventry in the EFL Cup. I think it would be a mistake to recall Christian Walton from his loan though, even if that were possible.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Do we not have youth to bring forward tio take their place? Is that not the idea of the academy?

As has already been pointed out: Christian Walton is on a season-long loan at Luton Town. Bailey Vose is actually on loan too, at Concord Rangers, where he has played 7 matches since the end of November (it doesn't prevent him also appearing for the U-23s if required, as he was on the bench for them last night, but perhaps the club don't want to rely on him having to provide cover).

Robert Sanchez has been the regular U-23 goalkeeper this season and has impressed, so maybe a loan move is on the cards for him.

Second-year scholar George Hobbs has only played 5 matches for the U-18s this season, and not featured since October, and seems to be out of the picture. That leaves Tom McGill, a first-year scholar, as the regular U-18 goalkeeper.

George Bentley (an U-16) is now the regular cover on the bench for the U-18s and has already been the U-23 sub goalkeeper a couple of times. And U-15 Roco Rees was the sub goalkeeper for the U-18s ten days ago when both the U-23s and U-18s played on the same day.

Albion let two goalkeepers go in the summer (Harry Doherty and Josh Smith) who weren't replaced. They have given Billy Collings a contract until the end of the season. He is a local lad and I'm guessing his options were limited at Reading. He will provide cover for the U-23s for four months at a minimal cost and it will give Albion a chance to take a good look at him to assess him for a longer contract.

Seems like a win-win to me? :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here