Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another signing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have signed a 19 year old goalkeeper on loan to end of the season from Reading for the DS but why? Are they not happy with what we have or is this a view to permanent and if so what about Walton.on loan to Luton.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe they have plans to send out another of our young keepers on loan to get 1st team experience.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We have signed a 19 year old goalkeeper on loan to end of the season from Reading for the DS but why? Are they not happy with what we have or is this a view to permanent and if so what about Walton.on loan to Luton.

It's not a loan, we have signed him till the end of the season.

Brighton & Hove Albion have completed the signing of goalkeeper Billy Collings from Reading until the end of the season on undisclosed terms.

The 19-year-old will join up with Simon Rusk’s under-23 squad, as he moves south after spending time with the Royals.

Rusk said, “Billy joins the squad, and he adds quality and competition to the group. He’s one that we’re delighted to have at the club and we wish him well on the start of his career with Brighton.

“With the goalkeepers we have here, it’s about finding the right balance, so they’re all getting enough game time to develop, and that comes from having loan moves as well.

“Robert Sanchez has done well this year, and we’ve also got Bailey Vose who's had some very successful loan moves and we’re pleased with his progression.

“Now Billy comes in and it gives more flexibility for players to gain experience out on loan, while also applying pressure on Bailey and Robert for that number one shirt in the under-23s.”

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...lly-collings-3523948.aspx#yMUZQlSoTKAbMusM.99

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sorry I was going by the news on More Radio. and thought that it was a loan. If not a loan that makes it even more of a strange signing.

Why is it strange? How do you know he isn't better than what we have already got at that level?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is it strange? How do you know he isn't better than what we have already got at that level?

If he is why did Reading release him i know that is no guarantee but it doesnt look good on Walton, Sanchez etc. Not a position that we do not have options for at any level.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If he is why did Reading release him i know that is no gaurantee but it doesnt look good on Walton, Sanchez etc.

Did Reading release him?
Walton is on loan all season. He won't be playing for us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If he is why did Reading release him i know that is no gaurantee but it doesnt look good on Walton, Sanchez etc.

Walton is probably either going to be on loan again next season or possibly back up for first team if we don't go up. Maybe they have the same idea with Sanchez. You need to loan out goalkeepers. By signing him up until the end of the season (presumably for a small fee as it is undisclosed) we get to see if he's an option. Hardly that strange.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I would assume so as we signed him from Reading the news said unless of course it was the old undisclosed fee which seems even more strange.

You assume so? Was Sanchez released? Or Walton? You seem to have little idea of the circumstances here and jumping to massive conclusions.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If he is why did Reading release him i know that is no guarantee but it doesnt look good on Walton, Sanchez etc. Not a position that we do not have options for at any level.

Reading didn't realise him, we've signed him from them for an undisclosed fee. It has no effect on Walton as he won't play for us this season. It's to increase competition for Sanchez and Vose and also allow more flexibility with possible loan moves.

If only the club had an official site where all of that information could be found.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Walton is probably either going to be on loan again next season or possibly back up for first team if we don't go up. Maybe they have the same idea with Sanchez. You need to loan out goalkeepers. By signing him up until the end of the season (presumably for a small fee as it is undisclosed) we get to see if he's an option. Hardly that strange.

Possibly Walton will be back up as Maenpaa must be getting near to the point of wanting regular football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reading didn't realise him, we've signed him from them for an undisclosed fee. It has no effect on Walton as he won't play for us this season. It's to increase competition for Sanchez and Vose and also allow more flexibility with possible loan moves.

If only the club had an official site where all of that information could be found.

My point is that it doesnt show much confidence in Sanchez and Vose both being young and a position we didnt appear to need to improve on during this window.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Possibly Walton will be back up as Maenpaa must be getting near to the point of wanting regular football.

Exactly. If we don't go up, both Stockdale and Maenpaa are out of contract and one of them may well leave, which would make Walton second choice. Alternatively, if we go up, I imagine he will go on loan again to a Championship side, ideally. He definitely won't be competing with the under 23 keepers.

As for the other under 23 keepers, as others have said, they will have the chance to go out on loan as we have more options.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Maybe after Sanchez's (I hear) excellent performance against Coventry in the Checkatrade, there's been some enquiries as to his availability, or they feel he's now ready to go to a local club to get some first team game time. With only really having Vose at that level, they couldn't let Sanchez go. So they brought someone else in to provide sufficient depth to facilitate a move.

Clearly this move will have been in the pipeline before the Coventry game, but that might have expedited their intentions to get someone/specifically him in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here