Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How important is it to get a forward this window?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do not think that another SB or similar is the immediate problem as I believe our problem at the moment is still conceding too many goals from crosses and set pieces. Duffy has come in and stopped the rot a little but with out Dunk we conceded another one which set us on the road to defeat. I also believe CH made a mistake playing Goldson and moving Duffy across rather than play Hunemier in Dunks position.
Silly me. Thought we had one of the best defensive records in the division.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Silly me. Thought we had one of the best defensive records in the division.

We do have when both Dunk and Duffy are playing but as showed on Saturday we were not good enough defending a cross with the stand in CB. I think an injury or suspension to either Dunk or Duffy would hit us more than an injury to any other player other than Murray.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We do have when both Dunk and Duffy are playing but as showed on Saturday we were not good enough defending a cross with the stand in CB. I think an injury or suspension to either Dunk or Duffy would hit us more than an injury to any other player other than Murray.

Hugely unfair on Goldson who was brilliant last season and a major example of recency bias.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hugely unfair on Goldson who was brilliant last season and a major example of recency bias.

We and he cannot live on last seasons highs. He was poor Saturday irrespective of why so that is something the coaches have to work on in case he is needed again. As I have said I cannot understand why he was preferred to Hunemier knowing PNE presence in the air.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think you meant Preston burt the first was a very poor goal to concede that I think we should have been able to get in first and head away,.

I did, but if you are picking one incident then I'm not sure it constitutes any kind of wholesale issue. Also, if any team are going to be a threat in the air it's Preston, (they got us at the Amex too!) not a reason to make changes to what is an outstanding back line and bringing in players who rarely get a look in is obviously going to leave us on the weak side

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did, but if you are picking one incident then I'm not sure it constitutes any kind of wholesale issue. Also, if any team are going to be a threat in the air it's Preston, (they got us at the Amex too!) not a reason to make changes to what is an outstanding back line and bringing in players who rarely get a look in is obviously going to leave us on the weak side

It does because it cost us the game.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on what Chris Hughton said regarding being relaxed about going with what we have (which is pretty good anyway).

What else do you expect him to say? That we are desperate for another striker, therefore pushing up the price of any targets in what is already a rediculously over inflated market?

I agree with most saying Robbie Keane, but maybe he wants a longer contract than til the end of the season, I don't think we should look to take him for longer than that, if we do go up, he would probably be surplus to requirements next season and even if we were to fail, at 37 his game time would probably be limited in the championship.

I also wouldn't mind Texiera, strictly as a back up to give Baldock a rest towards the end of a game, but that deal can probably wait until all other options/targets have not been successful, a proper striker would still be preferable.

Finally if Chris Wood us being valued at £15m and Hogan at £20m then I would imagine the likes of Zach Clough is going to be around the £8-10m mark especially in light of the Lookman deal £11m for a player with a year and a half experience, undoubtedly talented but then Clough isn't a bad player either.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One defeat in 19, and that with 3 regulars out. Anyone expecting Connor to perform as well as Lewis after so long on the sidelines, and suggesting we aren't good enough at the back is being hugely unfair.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes we do need a forward, no it doesn't have to be a superstar, but he will have to be as good as/better/different to what we have now.

Three forwards is not enough.

Hughton and the gang will be working hard to land someone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What are the options?

1. Successful championship striker - going to be very expensive and almost impossible to get a club to part with, and the player himself will have eyes on the PL
2. Championship striker having a poorish season - risky, unlikely to be the quality we need
3. Lower league starlet - is a championship push the best place to blood him?, more one for the future, and will be expensive
4. Premier league loanee - going to be young, raw and inexperienced
5. Older ex-premier league player, been around the block, knows where the goal is even though he's lost pace / stamina
6. Overseas unknown quantity - could be experienced and cheap, provided he settles.

In our position 5 or 6 seems the way to go

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Not signing a striker would be a gamble but I'm not sure that it would be a massive one given our general league form. Would it be an equal gamble to get a striker, blow our FFP limit and then not get promoted?

Who'd be a chairman? I'd be up nights worrying about this stuff. I'm glad we have The Lizard.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
People are talking as if we want to bust the bank for a striker, think those will be disappointed. The time to get excitable about that will be IF we manage to get over the line in May.

We need a creative no10 for something a bit different, and perhaps a 3rd option for Muzza/Hemed, but a cheap(in relation) loan/end of career option.

In the same vein I would be happy with someone in the Teixeira/Pritchard mould and Keane.

I still think the best signing in this window would be Dale Stephens though.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Jesus, I've just remembered why I hardly ever post anymore.

Can't believe I've been 'owned' on a football message board. The shame.

Cheerio x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having an opinion on NSC be like...

04aeae57-289c-40a5-8989-d8e0ab8151c2.jpg

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Fair enough. We'll probably sign someone for that, but I think there's this perception that we are going to sign a superstar to storm us to promotion- is be amazed if that happens. Buying in January is a mug's game, the only time I can remember us getting it right is with Zillow, and even that was a different situation as he was meant to come in the Summer before anyway.

Ulloa, Kayal, Knockaert, and Skalak...

Yeah, it's a mugs game :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here