Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there a Vegetarian or Vegan ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I really love the fact she cares so much. For me that is a massive plus. Just trying to see how it can work. Thanks for all the advice as I know this is a really big deal for her

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
People who are vegetarians will normally have health problems.

Humans are designed to eat meat, that's why we have sharp teeth, rather than just molars.

I knew someone who was a vegetarian, who just didn't look well to me, just his complexion, and a lack of energy. There is something in meat which the human body needs, vitamins ect ? But I admired his views on being a vegetarian, just as I respect people with religious views.

This is either some top draw trolling or some top draw ignorance :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm not, but I live with one, As I can't be bothered to cook separate meals that means I am effectively a veggie that eats meat :moo::facepalm::flypig::ohmy:

often curious about this discipline, do you care about or check if the fish is from a farmed source, as an awful lot is these days.

Yeah,it's an odd one,bit of a hypocrite really as I don't really bother to check,do get 90% of my stuff from the fishermen on Worthing beach,I see a few bits on YouTube a couple of years ago and decided not to eat meat anymore but couldn't give up a king prawn madras!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
My other half is Vegan and my two youngest are both allergic to milk, so I've been vegetarian at home for a while now and we've been careful about milk content since the kids were born.

I'm doing Veganuary to support the other half, not that she's a vegan nazi but it all helps. Remarkably it's been a lot easier than I thought, although I've struggled a bit with milk as I was partial to the odd bowl of cereal - don't have that now. Soya / oat milk is fine in tea and coffee but WRONG on cereal. I also thought vegan food seemed lame, but like all these things once you investigate a bit there are loads of great meals. Still not a patch on the options you have if you eat anything though!!!

Remains to be seen what I do in Feb.

Agree about the soya/oat milk on cereal. Tastes horrid. Rice milk is pretty good though.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Evolution would disagree with you. That's how we made it from being monkeys to Homo Erectus, to modern humans.

Meat was essential in that journey.

Haha you are a quality Mong. Even if it was remotely possible to prove that, it bears no relevance to the time we live in NOW. You also realise I assume that around the world today, let alone in ages past before animal husbandry, different people are very different diets, some with little or no meat at all.

Did you know rhinos were vegan? I reckon a rhino could properly **** you up, despite its weaknesses due to lack of meat.

I hate angry vegans, they are so tedious, but equally there are a lot of dumb meat eaters out there.

Aside from a couple of posts this has been a thoroughly un-NSC response, what is going on?

Oct 25, 2003
Wife is vegan which means I pretty much am. Have started using oat milk in my coffee which has helped reduce my dairy intake as I'm not fussed about cheese. I've given up beef due to environmental reasons and lamb because I decided eating baby sheep isn't that nice. Like many things we've become greedy and the meat farming industry has become really grim and destructive to the planet. Shame really as animals taste lovely

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
People who are vegetarians will normally have health problems.

Humans are designed to eat meat, that's why we have sharp teeth, rather than just molars.

Actually Humans have more in common with Herbivores than carnivores. Although we have sharp teeth these bear little resemblance to the large, sharp canines of carnivores and we can’t tear flesh or animal skin by hand. Our intestines are long like herbivores whereas carnivores have short intestines, in fact our intestines and stomach cope far better when we cook our meat. We don't have sharp claws to grab and hold down prey, our hands are perfectly formed for grabbing and picking fruits and vegetables.

We have learnt to be meat eaters, made tools to catch prey and cooked our meat to make it more palatable. We may have in the past needed a little meat in our diet in times of scarcity but the fact is now you can walk in to a supermarket and buy whatever you need for a healthy vegetarian diet.

I always think its funny meat eaters comparing themselves with their hunter gatherer ancestors. Nowadays people are separated from the act of killing, they just wander in the supermarket and pick up the pre-packaged meat, all prepared, no blood or guts, just pop it straight in the oven. I have met a number of people who have criticised me for being a vegetarian with a similar argument to yours but openly admit that they couldn't kill an animal themselves or even watch one being killed.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yeah,it's an odd one,bit of a hypocrite really as I don't really bother to check,do get 90% of my stuff from the fishermen on Worthing beach,I see a few bits on YouTube a couple of years ago and decided not to eat meat anymore but couldn't give up a king prawn madras!

Haha. I really don't know what I'll do in Feb, I don't like the idea of never eating some of my favourite things again. But it's not THAT much of a hardship and when you watch those videos and realise what has to happen for you to be able to eat. Bit tough.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
She is not a Vegan Nazi but she is absoulely resoslutely in her beliefs. Even takes the soya milk to cafes

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
often curious about this discipline, do you care about or check if the fish is from a farmed source, as an awful lot is these days.

I eat meat about once a month. Pescatarian vegetarian otherwise and do not eat farmed fish. With shellfish I have no objection to farmed mussels.
The biggest difficulty with/for vegans is that the majority of wines and beers contain animal products.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Wife is vegan which means I pretty much am. Have started using oat milk in my coffee which has helped reduce my dairy intake as I'm not fussed about cheese. I've given up beef due to environmental reasons and lamb because I decided eating baby sheep isn't that nice. Like many things we've become greedy and the meat farming industry has become really grim and destructive to the planet. Shame really as animals taste lovely

And [MENTION=961]Half Time Pies[/MENTION]

Both great posts. It was actually my fault my missus became vegan, she was getting more interested in the way animals are treated and wanted to become vegetarian, when she said she couldn't give up cheese I pointed out that the life of a dairy cow was probably the worst life out there. The farmers have no option but to be ruthlessly efficient as the price for the product is so ridiculously low - hence anything the saves money is done, with the expected brutal results.

I really don't think I could treat animals like that, and it's been so easy to be a hypocritical consumer as I'm so far away from having to make those choices.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Has she shown you Cowspiracy yet? That usually does it.

I eat a lot of veggie and vegan meals these days. If I give up meat it will probably be a gradual thing.

I watched Earthlings and that wiped me out

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I eat meat about once a month. Pescatarian vegetarian otherwise and do not eat farmed fish. With shellfish I have no objection to farmed mussels.
The biggest difficulty with/for vegans is that the majority of wines and beers contain animal products.

Yeah that's a bitch. Most beers are produced using animal products right, but don't contain them? Are mussels ok because they don't have a nervous system or something?

What about honey? Vegans don't eat that but they do eat almonds, which basically require bees to do SLAVE LABOUR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here