Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds and playoff chasers final points total

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I made a MASSIVE cream sponge today but HALFWAY through it CRUMBLED and I thought that was SYMBOLIC of what will happen to US this season

Wouldn't it have crumbled as soon as you started it? Something doesn't add up here.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Leeds are superb. Awesome manager. Excellent defence, a midfield that is potentially better than ours with the brilliant Pablo Hernandez. They may have issues if Chris wood gets injured..

I see them as a massive threat, especially with our poor performances in the last couple of months.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Is this the same Leeds that barely managed a shot against us at the Amex?

They have also already lost eight games this season. That hardly seems like the record of a team that are going up automatically.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Why so many panicking on here. We're in a an incredible position and crucially have the experience after last season that other teams don't. Let's just get 3pts against Massive and then see if others can handle the pressure!

Sirius76

Banned
Oct 28, 2008
Why so many panicking on here. We're in a an incredible position and crucially have the experience after last season that other teams don't. Let's just get 3pts against Massive and then see if others can handle the pressure!

I was just pointing out that there seems to be an unusually high number of teams in the top 7 with automatic promotion current form and overall points. Huddersfield are slightly under at 1.7 points per game (in the last 10) but could also now start improving again to 2 points per game (not needing to do much better than they have overall) to finish near 90 points. Newcastle don't even need to better Huddersfield's current form to get around 90 points.

Obviously some will lose form but if half of these teams carry on with good form, there will be about four contenders for the top two places. Brighton can't really afford many slip ups and need to continue with the current form. Normally the teams in the top 6 at this stage would not all have a minimum of 45 points and not all would be on good form (all at least 2 points per game except the lowest being 1.7 per game for Huddersfield with Derby in 7th being on 2 points per game form too but with 5 less points so would need to improve to around 2.3 to catch up). So there may be more competition than other years. Newcastle's form is only 1.8 in the last 10 but they probably don't need it to be higher.

Last edited:

Sirius76

Banned
Oct 28, 2008
Brighton last season were 6th with less points than all these top 6 teams after 26 games at 44 points (interestingly Middlesborough were 11 points ahead on 55 points with them having a game in hand)...but we still managed 45 points in the next 20 games at 2.25 points per game (drawing the last two) which is actually slightly higher than this season's overall form. So our lead is similar to what Middlesborough had and we all know how close it was for them (they had that single point more than us after 25 games). Sheffield Wednesday are 3 points better off this season and have 1 more point than we did last season after 26 games.

We will be in a good position if we beat them on Friday. Last season it took the top three teams around 31-32 games to get to 60 points and they were quite close together with Middlesborough losing a couple and then drawing a few in a row (3 points in their next 5 games so they were only on 58 after 30 games while we won 4 in a row and were on 56 after 30).

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Shows how CRUCIAL our game in hand v Cardiff is.

To make up 9 points on us + goal difference would be a big ask for Leeds over 20 games.

Absolutely right about this game in hand. Of course Keegan's Newcastle famously blew a 12 point lead over United so these things do happen. Long way to go.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We need to get to c89 points ... that means we can 'afford' to drop 28 more before end of season, Leeds can only 19. If auto's are more than 89 then better for us, and more likely to be us

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
IMG_1343.PNG

This is the table from the equivalent number of games. It makes for sobering reading when you realise that Derby didn't go up. As someone pointed out Middlesbirough also didnt go up by much. However we already have 54 points, so we're in the driving seat. The form of all the chasing pack is very good at the moment, so I expect us to need a competitive total number of points (perhaps 92) I agee that Leeds are the real threat. Their upcoming fixture list for the next month or so looks quite benign. Any points we take off them at Elland Road may be a huge step towards promotion

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The problem with looking at current form is that you end up with several teams at around 90 points, which is not going to happen. This approach omits a) that they have to play each other; b) that it doesn't work like that - form and results oscillate over the season. Even if Leeds were to catch us and/or Toon, they would have to continue Burnley style to the end of the season. They look good, but not sure that good.

Toon possibly have more to worry about than us with Injuries. Murphy is excellent replacement for Gayle but unlikely to churn out the goals as regularly. Also lost Mitrovic in FA cup tie.

This weekend showed that promotion is far from a done deal but it is not panic time. We had to lose a game some time.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Leeds are superb. Awesome manager. Excellent defence, a midfield that is potentially better than ours with the brilliant Pablo Hernandez. They may have issues if Chris wood gets injured..

I see them as a massive threat, especially with our poor performances in the last couple of months.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk
I've always said our midfield is the weak spot as it lacks creativity but that's because kayal has been crocked and with him back it will be a massive boost....This was why Hughton was looking for a pacey creative CF I,e Pritchard type.
Kayal,Stephens and sidwell are plenty good enough but Norwood isn't the type of midfielder to drive you forwards as he slows the game up big time.

Leeds are doing brilliantly at the moment and time will tell if they are good enough.....Don't see any other threat to be honest bar them.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This is the table from the equivalent number of games. It makes for sobering reading when you realise that Derby didn't go up. As someone pointed out Middlesbirough also didnt go up by much. However we already have 54 points, so we're in the driving seat. The form of all the chasing pack is very good at the moment, so I expect us to need a competitive total number of points (perhaps 92) I agee that Leeds are the real threat. Their upcoming fixture list for the next month or so looks quite benign. Any points we take off them at Elland Road may be a huge step towards promotion

'Form is temporary' and last season showed that ... the only 2 sides that really kept their foot on the gas were Burnley and Us. We need to hope that we are one of the 2 or 3 that keep going this time. In that respect I'm optimistic because our form has been by far the most consistent over the past 12 months

Leeds have a tricky game at Barnsley coming up and they won't surrender quite as easily as they did against Fulham I suspect. But selling their top scorer to a rival does say a bit about their (lack of) ambition. Then they are away at Huddersfield at beginning of February that will be a real test for them for sure (as it will be for us)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
if you watched Leeds' game on Friday, the key takeaway is not how impressive Leeds were, but how shockingly poor Derby looked - tactically inept, and individually error-prone. They were average at best against us, even before the red card. Let's not get too worried about other teams.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
View attachment 81194

So we are 10 points better off than we were last year, and have a game in hand on our 2015/16 vintage.

Sounds excellent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
if you watched Leeds' game on Friday, the key takeaway is not how impressive Leeds were, but how shockingly poor Derby looked - tactically inept, and individually error-prone. They were average at best against us, even before the red card. Let's not get too worried about other teams.

Bit if both - I think Leeds pressed them fantastically well which made Derby look poorer.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Someone earlier mentioned that Leeds were unlikely to win automatic promotion after already losing 8 matches out of 26, but in the 2012/13 season Hull City lost 17 (yes SEVENTEEN) and still finished second behind Cardiff.

About 10 years ago, Stoke did something similar and finished 2nd with 79 points (and in the PL ever since).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here