Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody recognise themselves...?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
On the bus breakdowns were relatively frequent and certainly don't remember being home before midnight ever.

Think the 1.30am was the worst but still. Dedication!

Well I hope they didn't pay Stagecoach, (or whoever they hired the buses from), full whack then!

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
2 memories of Gillingham

1st attempt to get there, agreed to pick a mate up from Lewisham thinking it was kind of on route. Got delayed in traffic and ended up in a cafe at 3pm, tucking into a full English instead.

2nd attempt ended up on the pitch handing out motm in jeans and trainers
Not easy picking a motm when they had been done 0-5 to Millwall in the auto windscreens shield.

Weird memories of Gillingham

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I actually remember being very envious of Gillingham because they
had a good ground and played in a higher division.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Bloody long way from Littlehampton in those days
!
When I get a bit pissed off with results (e.g. Yesterday)
I think of the time up at Preistfield against Barnet on bonfire night and we got battered 3-0 and there was just over 1,000 there. ( which was probably our Away attendance yesterday up at Preston)
Then I feel a lot better [emoji106]

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I actually remember being very envious of Gillingham because they
had a good ground and played in a higher division.

Me too , I actually enjoyed sitting in the Gordon Road Stand and as I was working in the area midweek games were convenient .

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Rod Thomas was great to watch in that team years ago. Remember Minton & Arnott centre mid with Barker & Hart upfront. We had a decent half season under Horton then lost something like 11 out of 12 under Jeff Wood.

D

Deleted User X18H

Think I might be at the back.

Was this one of the morbid express's that used to leave Conway Street at 11am or midday?

I used to walk past the ironic sign by the tennis courts in Hove Park that read 'Brighton & Hove No Football'

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Rod Thomas was great to watch in that team years ago. Remember Minton & Arnott centre mid with Barker & Hart upfront. We had a decent half season under Horton then lost something like 11 out of 12 under Jeff Wood.

Yes, despite being a brilliant player for us in the past, Horton doing a runner didn't help our cause much that season.

Think I might be at the back.

Was this one of the morbid express's that used to leave Conway Street at 11am or midday?

I used to walk past the ironic sign by the tennis courts in Hove Park that read 'Brighton & Hove No Football'

Our coach would leave around 9ish from hove station and by 11ish we were in the pubs in gillingham,love them days!:wink:

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Was it the Cricketers? The pub used to be the best bit. We were all in the same boat. Travelling into a neighboring county to watch a home game. They put on a free buffet for us after the final game. Seems like a million years ago now.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Does anyone recall Fans United 2? Which was on Valentines Day 1998, a truly crap 0-0 draw with Doncaster Rovers.
The busses from Sussex were dubbed 'love busses ' although I recall reports of a punch up on one of them, with a quote from a witness "There wasn't a lot of love on that particular bus".

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Does anyone recall Fans United 2? Which was on Valentines Day 1998, a truly crap 0-0 draw with Doncaster Rovers.
The busses from Sussex were dubbed 'love busses ' although I recall reports of a punch up on one of them, with a quote from a witness "There wasn't a lot of love on that particular bus".

I was on that bus and there was a fight, not sure what happened exactly as I was downstairs and the fight was upstairs, I do remember some very frightened youngsters coming downstairs to get away from the fight.
This was the first time I went on a bus or coach to Gillingham as I always drove, a girlfriend at the time thought it would be nice to get me a ticket for the bus. I wasn't happy to be honest.
On the way back from the match the driver took a wrong turn and ended up in a village/ small town in Kent, some people got off the bus and bought beers. It was pretty calm on the bus until the drinking started.
I'm sure the driver got lost again and it took ages to get back to Hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here