Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the lack of available GP's to blame for NHS crisis?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
The last Labour Government have a lot to answer for. Allowing the GP's to opt out of providing out of hour services was a big mistake. Having a massive knock on effect on A&E services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The NHS crisis (if indeed there really is one) is caused by there being far too many fecking people in this country. Same reason for our roads being overcrowded. Same reason for the apparent housing crisis.

This country is FULL and has been for a number of years. We do not have, nor do we want the infrastructure for any more people.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
T We do not have, nor do we want the infrastructure for any more people.

I do. When I'm old and incontinent I want someone to wipe my arse and the only way we, as an ageing population with a low birth rate, will get such people is from abroad.

I don't perceive the problem as being about a shortage of GPs. It seems to me to be partly about the difficulties of getting a GP appointment at short notice ... "there's nothing available until Thursday, I'm afraid". Once you've heard that two or three times, you are much more likely to pack yourself off to an A&E unit straight away. How many GP surgeries require patients who want an appointment "today" to phone at start of business and run the risk of finding themselves at number 22 in a queue of phone calls waiting to be answered?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Of course it's the labour government that has caused all the problems in the NHS :facepalm: just like they caused the global recession :facepalm: when will GP's realise that they have to start doing 12 hour days like the rest of us and offer a proper service ?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The NHS crisis (if indeed there really is one) is caused by there being far too many fecking people in this country. Same reason for our roads being overcrowded. Same reason for the apparent housing crisis.

This country is FULL and has been for a number of years. We do not have, nor do we want the infrastructure for any more people.

What's all this we business? Who are you speaking for? because it's not me, if you have those views that is up to you, but say I, not we.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Its a contributory factor, but not the isolated reason, more demand, increasing aged population, peaks, media seeking a story, lack of funding, increased public expectation and its mainly in A&E.
Have spent a lot of time in hospital recently and it seems to me to be full of older people, A & E is rammed and then when on a ward before and after a procedure that ward is half empty. Daughter is an A& E nurse, turning away people with spots, cuts and headaches. Demand definately peaked across Christmas and the department was actually expecting a surge for which contingencies were made.
A&E is not a walk in service and patients are triaged on need immediately they present, news reports are not being accurately and branding the A & E problem as general, which is not the case.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don't perceive the problem as being about a shortage of GPs. It seems to me to be partly about the difficulties of getting a GP appointment at short notice ... "there's nothing available until Thursday, I'm afraid". Once you've heard that two or three times, you are much more likely to pack yourself off to an A&E unit straight away. How many GP surgeries require patients who want an appointment "today" to phone at start of business and run the risk of finding themselves at number 22 in a queue of phone calls waiting to be answered?

As you say there is enough GP'S around, it's whether they want to work longer hours.
My local surgery has three days in the week where it's open till eight and has a triage service, where a dedicated doc can call you back at home within one hour.
Also as you have said it's difficult to get an appointment when you want one, but I have learnt, when they ask is it urgent, you say yes and miraculously they find an opening.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nope, but its a factor, and they were given a bizzare deal by Reid. the real problem i believe is our national focus on GP or A&E for any and all health issue. those are the only options available, but not really suited to so many situations. i've used medical centres many times and found them much more suitable, we should be promoting them heavily as an alternative.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
In part yes,but not all. If you are unwell at the weekend, where is the to go? Wait until Monday or a&e.

My wife went to a weekend medical centre lay year - huge waits - I never knew they existed!

synavm

May 2, 2013

I'm a little bit tired of people pinning everything on immigrants. It really is a false flag. You're looking at a net population growth of 0.6%- about 300,000 people a year. This takes into account births and immigration and at this level, it's fairly manageable.

The big issue here is capacity, but population growth is inevitable with or without immigration. Our hospitals, on the most part, were designed for the population as it was decades ago. We badly need to make use of our tax receipts (and if need be, increase them by going after avoidance), including tax raised by migrants (who make a net contribution) and invest in our infrastructure and prepare for our future, which will involve population growth regardless of the sort of immigration controls you put in.

That's not to say I'm against controls on immigration, by the way, clearly they are needed but it really is simplistic to blame everything on immigration, and the longer we fixate ourselves on it, the worse off we will be, because we're ignoring the real issues.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As you say there is enough GP'S around, it's whether they want to work longer hours.
My local surgery has three days in the week where it's open till eight and has a triage service, where a dedicated doc can call you back at home within one hour.
Also as you have said it's difficult to get an appointment when you want one, but I have learnt, when they ask is it urgent, you say yes and miraculously they find an opening.

Same as my GP, it's a way of stopping time wasters and no shows, only problem is I have no desire to tell some nosey receptionist what is wrong with me, I tell them to mind there own business, it's confidential or that I think I have the Black Plague, that usually shuts them up.

The bizarre thing about A&E units is that they deal with accidents AND emergencies. Why should someone with a broken ankle have to be triaged in competition with someone who has had a cardiac arrest? Separate units for injuries and health emergencies surely make sense, no? And pharmacists should be treating earache.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Same as my GP, it's a way of stopping time wasters and no shows, only problem is I have no desire to tell some nosey receptionist what is wrong with me, I tell them to mind there own business, it's confidential or that I think I have the Black Plague, that usually shuts them up.

Thats the spirit, it's a private matter and mind your own. :lol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The bizarre thing about A&E units is that they deal with accidents AND emergencies. Why should someone with a broken ankle have to be triaged in competition with someone who has had a cardiac arrest? Separate units for injuries and health emergencies surely make sense, no? And pharmacists should be treating earache.

Not sure what constituency you live in [MENTION=6]Lord Bracknell[/MENTION], but apart from our local A&E, Mount Vernon (non A&E) has a minor injuries unit.
Is this available where you live?:thumbsup:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm a little bit tired of people pinning everything on immigrants. It really is a false flag. You're looking at a net population growth of 0.6%- about 300,000 people a year. This takes into account births and immigration and at this level, it's fairly manageable.

The big issue here is capacity, but population growth is inevitable with or without immigration. Our hospitals, on the most part, were designed for the population as it was decades ago. We badly need to make use of our tax receipts (and if need be, increase them by going after avoidance), including tax raised by migrants (who make a net contribution) and invest in our infrastructure and prepare for our future, which will involve population growth regardless of the sort of immigration controls you put in.

That's not to say I'm against controls on immigration, by the way, clearly they are needed but it really is simplistic to blame everything on immigration, and the longer we fixate ourselves on it, the worse off we will be, because we're ignoring the real issues.

Congratulations sir, probably the most well put post on here for a very long time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The bizarre thing about A&E units is that they deal with accidents AND emergencies. Why should someone with a broken ankle have to be triaged in competition with someone who has had a cardiac arrest?

those two examples are not the problem, few in number, easily to triage and need hospital facilities. the problem is the earache, headache, "flu-like", and small cuts and grazes, which dont need a full hospital visit and probably dont need a doctor either. if acute or recurring they are GP territory, and can be dealt with on Tueasday afternoon, otherwise a nurse or literally general practice Doctor can deal with.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here