Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed camara van legality ?

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I did the speed awareness course a few years ago, got done doing 60mph in a 50 zone ( speed limit had only been changed two weeks earlier - so not best pleased!) On the course they tell you that nearly every loophole in the law has now been closed so that if you get caught you are highly unlikely to get off. I have to say the course was excellent and if we really want to make roads safer should be compulsory every 10years or so. You don't realise how many things you forget from your test or have changed over the years.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Got flashed by a camera Friday - first time in 13 years if driving - the fine will be very annoying at the mo :( Anyone got any advice on if it's worth writing a letter etc and if there's a chance of getting off or am I merely wishful thinking?

I got flashed a while ago and recieved a letter with a fine telling me to provide my licence within 7 days. I seem to remember that I could only pay the fine at the same time as surrendering my licence. At the time I was in the process of replacing my licence and I wrote to them saying I can't provide my licence until I recieve my new one. Never heard anything back from them.

Not to be taken as advice but if you get a summons, you could write them a letter and tell them you can't find your licence at the moment and you may need to replace it for a new one so may not be able to provide it within 7 days. If they don't write back leave it, but if they do write back you can contact them and say fortunately you have found it and will see them soon.

I don't know why they didn't follow up on mine. It could be as simple as them not having the time to write back, or forgetting to, and misfiling the offense.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Another point about my speeding offence was that i was driving the missus car in Crawley (she never goes to Crawley) i was coming home from work and when i got the NIP notice (well she did) my first thought was,was i insured? ? ?

We both have Full Comp and well not all policies allow me to drive her vehicle or vice versa,a quick check of small print cleared me,and it's probably unlikely that anythy would have happened were i not-

Point is,like speeding don't take it for granted.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That camera at Halland is the most profitable one in the county I believe

Yeh I can see why! Very easy to do especially as it's really not a built up area and most would just assume it's a 40. I reckon I was doing 35-40 tops - just wasn't paying attention and it was dark..! They deliberately place them in awkward positions. Always have a van in Heathfield at the bottom of a very long hill and hide out. Gets so many people. Bit naughty really as it takes gear control to stick to the 30 there.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
it takes gear control to stick to the 30 there.

3rd for 30mph even down hill,it's covered in the course.

Gears are for going and brakes for slowing too.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I got caught many years ago on the way from Wales down to the away playoff game at Swindon. Still have no idea where the van was, but I think it must have been pretty well-hidden as I always looked out for them. Probably the best thing to happen to me in terms of making sure I started driving sensibly and didn't end up in something nasty.

To be honest, I don't think anyone can argue no matter how they go about doing it. There's not too many examples in which you can be caught breaking the law but can argue that they didn't give you enough warning that they were out to catch you.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well I didn't deliberately - had one of those switch off moments singing along to my tunes. No excuse and will happily accept what's coming to me - just thought NSC may be a good place for my fellow BHA fans to share any hidden secrets and escape judgemental Wankers - what was I thinking though it's actually got a higher % of keyboard warrior smug arrogant twats.. :lol: :thumbsup:

Will make sure I don't put any MINOR mistakes I make in life on here in future.
My post was purely tongue in cheek
That camera at Halland is the most profitable one in the county I believe

So it's a spot where a lot of people drive faster than the speed limit for that stretch of road, sounds to me like that particular camera is very much needed then.

If drivers were sticking to or under the speed limit and no-one was caught speeding there, the need wouldn't exist and as a result, that stretch of road would be safer, but clearly it's a stretch where drivers concentration / control of speed is an ongoing issue.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

So it's a spot where a lot of people drive faster than the speed limit for that stretch of road, sounds to me like that particular camera is very much needed then.

If drivers were sticking to or under the speed limit and no-one was caught speeding there, the need wouldn't exist and as a result, that stretch of road would be safer, but clearly it's a stretch where drivers concentration / control of speed is an ongoing issue.

I know I wasn't getting at you, sorry. The other bloke who decided to take a swipe pissed me off. It seems the Internet makes people say things you really wouldn't do in real life to your mates. But if it makes people feel better about themselves...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know I wasn't getting at you, sorry. The other bloke who decided to take a swipe pissed me off. It seems the Internet makes people say things you really wouldn't do in real life to your mates. But if it makes people feel better about themselves...

We need a TIC smiley......personally i use :jester: and occasionally put a :kiss: alongside..

Example- [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] you fool for speeding :jester: :kiss:

Pickles

May 5, 2014

I'd suggest that rather than being a cash cow, that particular area should have 'calming measures' introduced.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just take it. I got 6 months in a month (2x 3 points) and my insurance premium did not even increase. I was aged 28 too

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

No, I would say it to my mates but you're wrong about me having a swipe at you, it was meant in jest; I guess I just hit a nerve.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No, I would say it to my mates but you're wrong about me having a swipe at you, it was meant in jest; I guess I just hit a nerve.

Ok fair enough. Nobody needs to tell me to slow down etc - it was just a small mistake. As I said 35-40 in a 30 is hardly a major deal. No points in 13 years is something to be proud of until that fateful day Friday though I must say :lol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Got flashed by a camera Friday - first time in 13 years of driving - the fine will be very annoying at the mo :( Anyone got any advice on if it's worth writing a letter etc and if there's a chance of getting off or am I merely wishful thinking?

Slow down and pay attention.

:whistle:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Thanks mate - I think the fine is now £100 from what people have said. As I say silly thing to do but completely unaware I was speeding - was the one by Halland roundabout towards East Sussex National - of course put in a silly position.

Did the course in Dorset a few weeks ago and it cost £110 instead of the £100 and 3 points and probably keeps the insurance the same. Great and informative course but don't get stressed if you can't get there 20 mins before as I got there 1 min before the course and they let me on. It was all very good natured with plenty of banter and you learn some really interesting things

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Attend the speed awareness course,pay the £80 **this may have changed** and pick a venue and time/date of your choosing,you are on a yellow for 3 years now so to speak and cannot get another awareness course in those 3 years,caught again and it's points.

Edit:you are not obliged to tell your insurance company-i did because i chose too and my premium increased £5/month for a year then went down again.

I done a speed awareness course last year ( just happened to be the day Boro tickets came out so ended up not paying attention with my phone under the table)
Anyway the 2 'instructors' were driving instructors who according to them had NEVER EVER broken a speed limit and tried to tell us we were all killers waiting to kill..
Just go in ask no questions and get out......my offense 54 in a 50, be careful in Wiltshire at the moment there is no 10% leniency ( according to the instructors )

Was £80....maybe different counties are different prices.?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd suggest that rather than being a cash cow, that particular area should have 'calming measures' introduced.

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest that the light up signs that tell you your speed as you approach (and the smily/grumpy ones) are more effective than cameras at reducing speeding.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I done a speed awareness course last year ( just happened to be the day Boro tickets came out so ended up not paying attention with my phone under the table)
Anyway the 2 'instructors' were driving instructors who according to them had NEVER EVER broken a speed limit and tried to tell us we were all killers waiting to kill..
Just go in ask no questions and get out......my offense 54 in a 50, be careful in Wiltshire at the moment there is no 10% leniency ( according to the instructors )

Was £80....maybe different counties are different prices.?

Every body i know speeds,except my missus (i got caught in her car-as stated earlier) she is one of those "slightly" annoying religious "stick to the limit" types-no matter what,anyway,yes a lot of counties vary, some have a percentage of the speed +2 mph some don't etc....the fees probably vary too.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Slow down Sheebo.. :lolol:

I wouldn't actually worry about it until the fine comes through, you never know someone may lose the photo.

14 days to wait,i think.....before a Notice of intended prosecution arrives..

And yes,the camera may have been film less or whatever..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here