Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed camara van legality ?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpeg
This camera van always on Lindfield common and Northlands Avenue Haywards Heath.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry for the lenght of the clip,but if genuine and no reason to suspect otherwise,the basic question comes out as Can a civilian operate S/C/Vans in a clearly marked Police vehicle ? For me no. If it says Police then it is the Police. However ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMmJE0pvzo :dunce:

I have always doubted the legality of any cameras in vans as I thought the law was that they had to be visible. They often park one in the layby near the surgery/tesco in Northlands Ave HH which is visible coming from the hospital as you come around the bend but that is too late as they film you coming around the bend so they are not visible.

Why do you question the van ones then? Surely a big van, covered in luminous red and yellow stripes, with big camera icon stickers is a whole lot more 'visible' than a box on a pole?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Same here. Perhaps they will use a police officer next time, who would be less likely to park in a daft place.

Why use a Police officer to do this?

Wouldn't they be better off doing their proper job like protecting the public and catching burglars, etc rather than doing a role that a trained and authorised civilian can do? - The purpose of these speed cameras is to make the roads safer for everyone (motorists, pedestrians and cyclists)

Is it a good use of a Police forces limited budget to spend more money by using a Police officer (who will be on higher wages) instead of a (cheaper costing) civilian operator? - without them there could be more crashes and deaths and therefore a higher cost of Policing that way

They wouldn't be needed if people were responsible and just followed the rules of the road

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I'm sure that Edna is well aware of this thread and by her lack of input can only summise that she's not sure and will get on this at some point, after speaking with the Chief Constable over Sunday lunch.

I have always doubted the legality of any cameras in vans as I thought the law was that they had to be visible. They often park one in the layby near the surgery/tesco in Northlands Ave HH which is visible coming from the hospital as you come around the bend but that is too late as they film you coming around the bend so they are not visible.

Whatever the law might be about how cameras are positioned, it remains the case that speeding is illegal and dangerous. Frankly I couldn't care less whether a speeding offence generates some income for the government. It's more important that speeding motorists are encouraged to put a stop to their anti-social and illegal behaviour.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why use a Police officer to do this?

Wouldn't they be better off doing their proper job like protecting the public and catching burglars, etc rather than doing a role that a trained and authorised civilian can do? - The purpose of these speed cameras is to make the roads safer for everyone (motorists, pedestrians and cyclists)

Is it a good use of a Police forces limited budget to spend more money by using a Police officer (who will be on higher wages) instead of a (cheaper costing) civilian operator? - without them there could be more crashes and deaths and therefore a higher cost of Policing that way

They wouldn't be needed if people were responsible and just followed the rules of the road

Fair point, Guy Fawkes, but taking this a bit further and in the total interest of making our roads safer, then why spend so much time/money/effort concentrating on speeding motorists which seems to result in the almost total absence of traffic cops in cars spotting potentially more serious motoring offences, that are not captured by speed cameras?
In the meantime, perhaps the police should train their civilian employees to park in a more appropriate place when they are operating their cameras. As another poster pointed out, it was very odd to have a van positioned as shown in the video, although I stand to be corrected.
By the way, I have no speeding points and don't have an axe to grind.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Got flashed by a camera Friday - first time in 13 years of driving - the fine will be very annoying at the mo :( Anyone got any advice on if it's worth writing a letter etc and if there's a chance of getting off or am I merely wishful thinking?

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Got flashed by a camera Friday - first time in 13 years if driving - the fine will be very annoying at the mo :( Anyone got any advice on if it's worth writing a letter etc and if there's a chance of getting off or am I merely wishful thinking?

Slow down and pay attention.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Fair point, Guy Fawkes, but taking this a bit further and in the total interest of making our roads safer, then why spend so much time/money/effort concentrating on speeding motorists which seems to result in the almost total absence of traffic cops in cars spotting potentially more serious motoring offences, that are not captured by speed cameras?
In the meantime, perhaps the police should train their civilian employees to park in a more appropriate place when they are operating their cameras. As another poster pointed out, it was very odd to have a van positioned as shown in the video, although I stand to be corrected.
By the way, I have no speeding points and don't have an axe to grind.

There are Police cars, (and bikes) both marked and unmarked out there and i have seen several motorists that have been stopped by them as i have travelled around the county. There are also regular vehicle road worthiness stops and checks (weighbridges and general roadside checks) There are also DVLA roadside checks for things like vehicle tax.

There is the use of other technology to try to tackle (motoring) crimes like the use of ANPR and once a hit is made, an operator can dispatch a Police car to intercept if deemed necessary.

Speeding is the thing that is likely to make a accident worse and also likely to lead to worse injuries or even death as a result of a collision so it makes sense to tackle it in some way and there is an effective way in terms of using speed cameras to get drivers to be more responsible and to slow down.

The Police cant be everywhere, but they try to use other means to keep the roads safer where possible to make up for this inability.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Got flashed by a camera Friday - first time in 13 years if driving - the fine will be very annoying at the mo :( Anyone got any advice on if it's worth writing a letter etc and if there's a chance of getting off or am I merely wishful thinking?

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time (/ punishment)?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Slow down and pay attention.

Oh sorry Mr perfect - how dare I get clocked doing 38 in a non built up 30 zone - I have really let myself down there - such a nasty thing to have done. Do let us know if you ever make a small casual mistake in future won't you :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time (/ punishment)?

Well I didn't deliberately - had one of those switch off moments singing along to my tunes. No excuse and will happily accept what's coming to me - just thought NSC may be a good place for my fellow BHA fans to share any hidden secrets and escape judgemental Wankers - what was I thinking though it's actually got a higher % of keyboard warrior smug arrogant twats.. :lol: :thumbsup:

Will make sure I don't put any MINOR mistakes I make in life on here in future.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Oh sorry Mr perfect - how dare I get clocked doing 38 in a non built up 30 zone - I have really let myself down there - such a nasty thing to have done. Do let us know if you ever make a small casual mistake in future won't you :thumbsup: ****

Attend the speed awareness course,pay the £80 **this may have changed** and pick a venue and time/date of your choosing,you are on a yellow for 3 years now so to speak and cannot get another awareness course in those 3 years,caught again and it's points.

Edit:you are not obliged to tell your insurance company-i did because i chose too and my premium increased £5/month for a year then went down again.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Attend the speed awareness course,pay the £80 and pick a venue and time/date of your choosing,you are on a yellow for 3 years now so to speak and cannot get another awareness course in those 3 years,caught again and it's points.

Thanks mate - I think the fine is now £100 from what people have said. As I say silly thing to do but completely unaware I was speeding - was the one by Halland roundabout towards East Sussex National - of course put in a silly position.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Thanks mate - I think the fine is now £100 from what people have said. As I say silly thing to do but completely unaware I was speeding - was the one by Halland roundabout towards East Sussex National - of course put in a silly position.

I got my first offence in 20 years -36mph in a 30mph from a hidden van long and short is 1mph less and i would not have got done,best part? well i have done a lot more on that stretch so perhaps it was for the best,better still the slate is wiped clean in July.....will it change me back to bad habbits? doubtfull.

Thanks 4 that.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
That camera at Halland is the most profitable one in the county I believe

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There are Police cars, (and bikes) both marked and unmarked out there and i have seen several motorists that have been stopped by them as i have travelled around the county. There are also regular vehicle road worthiness stops and checks (weighbridges and general roadside checks) There are also DVLA roadside checks for things like vehicle tax.

There is the use of other technology to try to tackle (motoring) crimes like the use of ANPR and once a hit is made, an operator can dispatch a Police car to intercept if deemed necessary.

Speeding is the thing that is likely to make a accident worse and also likely to lead to worse injuries or even death as a result of a collision so it makes sense to tackle it in some way and there is an effective way in terms of using speed cameras to get drivers to be more responsible and to slow down.

The Police cant be everywhere, but they try to use other means to keep the roads safer where possible to make up for this inability.

Hmm, if you say so. I still maintain that there is too much emphasis placed on minor speeding infringements, whilst more serious offences go unnoticed, due to a lack of patrol cars on the roads.Don't think I am alone.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do you question the van ones then? Surely a big van, covered in luminous red and yellow stripes, with big camera icon stickers is a whole lot more 'visible' than a box on a pole?

Yet once again, as is becoming usual for you, you have conveniently missed the whole point of a post in your attempt to belittle someone.

The van as you describe and is shown above in another post is very distinguishable and will obviously be seen by all but only when they come around a bend in the road which is too late as the picture will be taken as you come around the corner. Locals like me are aware of it so dont speed around the corner until they can see if the van is there. Strangers are not so fortunate and to just make it clear it is not a road people will do high speeds on but coming down hill I am sure many are caught just over the 30mph limit or they wouldnt position it there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here