Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed camara van legality ?

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Speed-Camara van Legality? Sounds somewhat like a love child arising from a fling between Henri Camara and Gary Speed:lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would hazard a guess its legal, you dont have a policeman on each GATSO by the side of the road. he's just operating a camera. the impersonating a police officer is interesting, prehaps he should have just captured the evidence and brought a case rather then get in an arguement?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The civilian is able to operate the camera. However if the recording is to be used for a prosecution then written authority is required by the chief constable

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Had to stop watching after 1 minute. Could see this was going to be cringeworthy. Reckon I've saved 11 minutes of my life there. In answer to the poster's question, yes perfectly correct. A number of civilian roles have powers which are designated by the Chief Constable - PCSOs have plenty.

My only surprise was the location where the vehicle was parked. Never seen a speed safety operation actually blocking an otherwise open road before.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I thought it was quite amusing and couldn't understand why the speed camera man covered his face as if he had been caught in the act of pleasuring himself in the van.
Thought the female officer handled the whole business very poorly when visiting the fellow.
As to the legality, I dare say it is, but an interesting point, nevertheless.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Had to stop watching after 1 minute. Could see this was going to be cringeworthy. Reckon I've saved 11 minutes of my life there. In answer to the poster's question, yes perfectly correct. A number of civilian roles have powers which are designated by the Chief Constable - PCSOs have plenty.

My only surprise was the location where the vehicle was parked. Never seen a speed safety operation actually blocking an otherwise open road before.

Same here. Perhaps they will use a police officer next time, who would be less likely to park in a daft place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have always doubted the legality of any cameras in vans as I thought the law was that they had to be visible. They often park one in the layby near the surgery/tesco in Northlands Ave HH which is visible coming from the hospital as you come around the bend but that is too late as they film you coming around the bend so they are not visible.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have always doubted the legality of any cameras in vans as I thought the law was that they had to be visible. They often park one in the layby near the surgery/tesco in Northlands Ave HH which is visible coming from the hospital as you come around the bend but that is too late as they film you coming around the bend so they are not visible.

So are you saying they need to be visible so that you have a chance to slow down?

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I got done for speeding by a van parked illegally on road hatching. Went to court and won.

SM127.gif

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought that was the law on all speed cameras be they static or mobile hand held by a PC or in vans.

Is it not static if the van is parked?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If you're within the speed limit so what ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here