Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't blame Absence of Stephens!!!

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Not convinced that Burnley need a midfielder in this window. They've just got Barton. Marney won't last too much longer but will be alright for the rest of this season. They've also got Defour and Henricks, and a few more that can play CM. Not convinced that both Burnley and Stephens will be desperate to seal the deal in this transfer window.

Burnley definitely DO need another central midfielder despite signing Barton.....Marney is our most important midfielder (the engine room), but 33 next month and increasingly injury-prone and suspension-prone....I think Dyche sees Stephens as Marney's long-term successor. Defour is also injury-prone while Barton is 34 and ...er, er Barton.

Ulvestad is the only CM cover and certainly not PL standard, hence why he has been on-loan at Charlton......Arfield can play CM at a push but is not very effective in the middle. Lose Marney now and we are in trouble...no-one has his work rate and tackling ability...I am amazed we won the league last season when Marney could only play about 10 games because of injury he suffered in February 2014 (we'd have stayed in the PL two seasons ago if Marney had not mised the last 18 games because of filthy West Brom player Yacoub.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Shouldn't modern day footballers be given a flu jab?

I had the flu jab and still got a nasty throat infection, with cough and temperature. The prescribed flu shot is what the pharmacists predict will be the particular strain of virus for the winter of 16/17. Flu viruses mutate and change so cannot cover everything. It's also possible that he's got norovirus which is a diarrhoea and sickness bug, and very prevalent in winter hence the common name of winter vomiting virus.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Stephens is probably the BIGGEST influence on this team, he is crucial to our success and if that means we keep him to get promoted then he goes on a free back up north then so be it.

I totally agree with all that you say...but if he we're to spit his dummy out( not suggesting he would/is) and simply not play where does that leave the squad togetherness! You have Payet digging his heels in and Costa saying ok I will play to end of the season! Where does Stephens sit IF and only IF a bid where to come in? Hopefully he is suffering with a bug but football is a funny old game. Argus state CH hopes to have big players back to play Friday...so I suppose we will have to wait and see!

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I totally agree with all that you say...but if he we're to spit his dummy out( not suggesting he would/is) and simply not play where does that leave the squad togetherness! You have Payet digging his heels in and Costa saying ok I will play to end of the season! Where does Stephens sit IF and only IF a bid where to come in? Hopefully he is suffering with a bug but football is a funny old game. Argus state CH hopes to have big players back to play Friday...so I suppose we will have to wait and see!

His brother on twitter has confirmed it definitely was illness, and to a number of different posters. I don't think the Twitter morons are helping by bitching about him every time he doesn't start. I think he's far too valuable to us at this moment. I can't see Stephens refusing to play for the rest of the season, he would of done it by now as it's already half way through the transfer window. Costa situation is different because of the amount of money being offered, and Payet is in a team in a relegation scrap.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Dale Stephens is totally committed to the cause, I'm absolutely sure of it. Our squad togetherness is part of what this club is all about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As a free agent, Stephens will land himself a FAR better deal in the summer as there'll be no transfer fee involved. If we go up then we can offer him a bumper new contract. If we don't, then he's free to seek his fortune elsewhere. I don't see any sense in him being transferred this month, other than the slight risk of a serious injury scuppering him completely. But if he holds out till June, he'll be cashing in big time regardless.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Burnley definitely DO need another central midfielder despite signing Barton.....Marney is our most important midfielder (the engine room), but 33 next month and increasingly injury-prone and suspension-prone....I think Dyche sees Stephens as Marney's long-term successor. Defour is also injury-prone while Barton is 34 and ...er, er Barton.

Ulvestad is the only CM cover and certainly not PL standard, hence why he has been on-loan at Charlton......Arfield can play CM at a push but is not very effective in the middle. Lose Marney now and we are in trouble...no-one has his work rate and tackling ability...I am amazed we won the league last season when Marney could only play about 10 games because of injury he suffered in February 2014 (we'd have stayed in the PL two seasons ago if Marney had not mised the last 18 games because of filthy West Brom player Yacoub.

Not so sure I agree, Dyche tends to leave it a while whilst he beds players in so I think they'll look to recruit in the summer. Defour is getting to full match fitness and with Hendricks we have two decent CMs. I agree about Marney and Barton, but we also have O'Neill and there's always Tarks who seems to fall into the David Edgar 'he can play there if needed' catergory.

Unsure if the board would back what would need to be a large fee for another CM.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Abit off track, but I used to work with a very keen marathon runner, this guy was a fringe English international. He used to take the piss out of me, saying I was unfit(I was,compared to him) I was playing about three games of football a week at the time, but I smoked and drank a fair bit,
Whenever there was a virus or bug going around, he would catch everything, and I was never ill. Being a super fit footballer, and being of a healthy disposition, doesn't always go hand in hand.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Not so sure I agree, Dyche tends to leave it a while whilst he beds players in so I think they'll look to recruit in the summer. Defour is getting to full match fitness and with Hendricks we have two decent CMs. I agree about Marney and Barton, but we also have O'Neill and there's always Tarks who seems to fall into the David Edgar 'he can play there if needed' catergory.

Unsure if the board would back what would need to be a large fee for another CM.

Presume you are a Burnley fan......you say you are "unsure" whether the board would back another big fee for another CM....what about the £7 million earmarked for Stephens back in August PLUS the £8 million unspent when the Grosicki deal fell through at the last-minute.....there's £15 million burning a hole in the board's pockets.

If Kightly gets on the bench STILL, we DO need strengthening this window.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Presume you are a Burnley fan......you say you are "unsure" whether the board would back another big fee for another CM....what about the £7 million earmarked for Stephens back in August PLUS the £8 million unspent when the Grosicki deal fell through at the last-minute.....there's £15 million burning a hole in the board's pockets.

If Kightly gets on the bench STILL, we DO need strengthening this window.

You guessed right, I appreciate we're on a Brighton board so perhaps not the place to discuss Burnley team transfers in too much depth. Kightly being on the bench merely points to how lacking we are on the flanks though, an area we do need more depth in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here