Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't blame Absence of Stephens!!!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I think some people have just forgotten last season completely. The common statement 'Kayal and Stephens allow us to play 442' bandied around on BBC Sussex every match day, and on here every day.

They are our most complete midfielders and undoubtedly our best midfield pairing. Both of them niggly, physical, love to disrupt and harry, good on the ball, great passing ranges. Kayal better at driving us forward, Stephens sweeping behind and a goal threat from set pieces. They ran like clockwork last season even against teams who pack the midfield which is why everyone waxed lyrical continuously about them with Kayal picking up POTS.

Since then we have improved our defence, our strike force and our squad in general, but our midfield has suffered due to the Stephens saga v1 and Kayal's injury. They have only played 3 games together this season, and yea you guessed it, we've won all 3. To think that we could finally be able to reunite the best element of our side last season, having since strengthened in other areas, fills me with confidence.

How anyone can say that we should flog Stephens to fund a striker is absolutely staggering. Here's some stats for you:-

Games with Stephens in the side: P16 W13 D3 L0 - 81% win rate / 100% points on board

Games without Stephens: P9 W3 D3 L3 - 33% win rate / 66% points on board

Games with Kayal+Stephens: P3 W3 D0 L0 - 100% win rate / 100% points on board

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think some people have just forgotten last season completely. The common statement 'Kayal and Stephens allow us to play 442' bandied around on BBC Sussex every match day, and on here every day.

They are our most complete midfielders and undoubtedly our best midfield pairing. Both of them niggly, physical, love to disrupt and harry, good on the ball, great passing ranges. Kayal better at driving us forward, Stephens sweeping behind and a goal threat from set pieces. They ran like clockwork last season even against teams who pack the midfield which is why everyone waxed lyrical continuously about them with Kayal picking up POTS.

Since then we have improved our defence, our strike force and our squad in general, but our midfield has suffered due to the Stephens saga v1 and Kayal's injury. They have only played 3 games together this season, and yea you guessed it, we've won all 3. To think that we could finally be able to reunite the best element of our side last season, having since strengthened in other areas, fills me with confidence.

How anyone can say that we should flog Stephens to fund a striker is absolutely staggering. Here's some stats for you:-

Games with Stephens in the side: P16 W13 D3 L0 - 81% win rate / 100% points on board

Games without Stephens: P9 W3 D3 L3 - 33% win rate / 66% points on board

Games with Kayal+Stephens: P3 W3 D0 L0 - 100% win rate / 100% points on board
Great post. I went to the match yesterday and my heart sank when I saw the starting line up. Stephens and norwood probably rank as a midtable central midfield pairing.

I'm so happy that kayal is back but we desperately need kayal and Stephens to be playing together again soon.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Great post. I went to the match yesterday and my heart sank when I saw the starting line up. Stephens and norwood probably rank as a midtable central midfield pairing.

I'm so happy that kayal is back but we desperately need kayal and Stephens to be playing together again soon.

You mean Sidwell & Norwood presumably?

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Not obsessed at all, just linking the 3 games out and 3 defeats post, he is instrumental to us making the big time, the club know that and that's why he wasn't sold and can't be allowed to go.

Wow. I hadn't actually clocked it was those three games. Interesting!

We do have a nasty habit of meeting Preston with key players out after last season's midfield losses and today's defence

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When I started thread I probably should of said that all though it's my opinion that he will go and it's only a hunch, I don't want him to leave! I would like him to see the job through! He is a big player for us but is he more important to us than say another quality forward! CH stated this week he would be ok if we didn't sign anyone else this window! Really? Like he stated in article we have enough quality in CM for back up for Stephens! If we are to stay within FFP rules then selling Stephens to get said striker may be our only way of clawing back some cash incase the horrid scenario of us not getting promoted materialises!

We'll offload all the best players should we fail to go up this time so FFP will definitely not be an issue even if it was before

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll offload all the best players should we fail to go up this time so FFP will definitely not be an issue even if it was before
No, we'll offload 1 or 2, and selling just Dunk will sort out FFP.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I went my GP yesterday to pick up a script, I didn't see the 'so called' ill Stephens in the waiting room.
Must be going, no smoke without fire.

I doubt he is going but the thought of Stephens in a doctors waiting room I found hilarious.

I was really shocked by Stephens actions in the summer, when it eventually broke. I sincerely hope it is an illness because I simply don't agree with leaving a player out of a squad just because there may or may not be transfer speculation. As far as I'm concerned a player should play right up until a potential buyers cheque clears in our bank account. The last transfer window derailed our performances and I wouldn't like to see it happen again.

Stephens is a big miss when he doesn't play. More so than anyone I think.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I doubt he is going but the thought of Stephens in a doctors waiting room I found hilarious.

I was really shocked by Stephens actions in the summer, when it eventually broke. I sincerely hope it is an illness because I simply don't agree with leaving a player out of a squad just because there may or may not be transfer speculation. As far as I'm concerned a player should play right up until a potential buyers cheque clears in our bank account. The last transfer window derailed our performances and I wouldn't like to see it happen again.

Stephens is a big miss when he doesn't play. More so than anyone I think.
Can you ask your mate if he's really ill ? ;)

From the tone of your posts on the subject it doesn't sound too good. For me it's just too much of a coincidence that Stephens is suddenly too ill to play during the transfer window!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not this shite again.

There is a really nasty flu doing the rounds locally. Not a sniffle, a don't leave bed for a week type.

It's really not beyond the realms of possibility....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Not this shite again.

There is a really nasty flu doing the rounds locally. Not a sniffle, a don't leave bed for a week type.

It's really not beyond the realms of possibility....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Very much this- me and Mrs Supaseagull have been off work all week with this virus and we never have time off unless we are on our sick beds. Sometimes footballers do get ill aswell and I very much doubt given the spirit in the team and that Dunk and Bong were absent that Stephens wouldn't play.

I'm all for debate but this conspiracy stuff is childish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Very much this- me and Mrs Supaseagull have been off work all week with this virus and we never have time off unless we are on our sick beds. Sometimes footballers do get ill aswell and I very much doubt given the spirit in the team and that Dunk and Bong were absent that Stephens wouldn't play.

It's almost as if some people need either

A figure to hate AND/OR

To be proven right.

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016

Typical!!!...some might say Karma...I've gone and got a dose of Man flu myself! Wish I hadn't started thread now! Tissues please Nurse ��

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This.

He'll be playing in the Premier League next season whatever happens. We know it. He knows it. So why leave the best dressing room in the country and the chance to get the Albion back into the top flight for the first time in 34 years?

What a shame if you can't leave it another season? "THIRTY-FIVE YEARS!" was a great punch-line in the old "Round The Horne" radio show. I think it was Kenneth Williams who moaned it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just done the Stadium tour,very good, by the way. The guide said he had been told by someone irk that Stephens definitely has a virus, and there is no conspiracy of him going..
I know it was only a guide, but probably more reliable than most posters on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here