Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Preston

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Anyone who watched the first half of their game against Arsenal knew how they were capable of playing. So not a big surprise.

el punal

We were very very poor today and Preston did a number on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That just about sums it up. Probably the poorest display since the Brentford defeat that I've seen. If Hemed was going to miss a penalty then yesterday's effort was the perfect time to do it, had he scored it would have been academic anyway. A bad day at the office, we move on. Well done Preston? Grrrr!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I love that stat but it needs qualifying a bit. We have only played them about 15 times and the first meeting was in the 60s so its all fairly "recent"

Indeed.

Manchester United won't want to face us next season - they've not beaten us in the league for 35 years.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
In case PNE fans come on this site searching for sour grapes. Have to show them we're bigger than that. As always, our classy manager didn't make excuses and gave PNE credit.

I don't have a problem with acknowledging better teams but it there are ways to do that. I would also have expected that to come from someone who attended the game and SAW the match.

budgierustler

Oct 16, 2016
Always interesting to see the view from the other side. I thought we had more composure on the ball today and that Brighton were slightly complacent thinking that they would score at some point. CH certainly gave us plenty of credit after the game but having seen you twice this season and a couple of times on TV I think you have enough to get over the line. I doubt Leeds will get to 90 points so you need 36 from 21 games....just over 1.7 points per game.

Sheff Wed were extremely lucky to get a point at Deepdale on NYE and we played well against Arsenal in the Cup last week so I guess this result has been coming for a few weeks.

10 wins 6 draws and 5 defeats will get you over the line and seeing as you hadn't lost since September I would suggest there is little to worry about.

Talking to some Brighton fans in the club before the game and they were very knowledgeable, respectful and good company. 1,201 was a very decent turn out 280 miles away in January.

Finally - I had to laugh at the pic of Deepdale and the comment about not having to come here again......yea a bit like we felt after 3 or 4 trips to the Withdean :)

Good luck for the rest of the season...I think you will make it. Might come back in May and say I told you so!!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Stephens is 100% ill.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I remember stopping off at a service station on the M6 on the way back from Port Vale having gained promotion.
There was a group of Bournemouth fans in there and Brighton fans were right in their faces giving it the "we'll never play you again" bollox.
That didn't work out well did it and it was totally embarrassing especially as I think they were relegated.
Or maybe they were right after all, but I hope not.

Simply, "Never is a long time", so don't count on "never" having to play in any stadium again.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, well done Preston. Great example of how to win a match with underhand tactics and no class.

They got lucky on the same day we got unlucky.

I liked them a lot less after the match than I did before it, and I don't say that just because we got beaten, I say it because they were dirty and scummy about it.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Yes. Well done Preston. They increased their possession stats from the reverse fixture by 1% to a fantastic 37% although they could not improve on the 2 shots on target they had at the Amex. Great stuff.

Only this time they kept a clean sheet. We never looked like scoring. And possession stats are misleading - See the Fulham game for proof of that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Callum Robinson looked promising for them in the way he took his goal. I would reckon he would be a better bet than Lookman and Hogan. And Baldock (who I don't think is quick or strong enough?).

Robinson also played on loan for Bristol City.

Doesn't score many like Baldock in that respect, 25% chance of scoring.

Always vulnerable to a long ball to a fast strong forward. And we cannot employ the same tactic as none of our forwards are not quick enough.

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Always interesting to see the view from the other side. I thought we had more composure on the ball today and that Brighton were slightly complacent thinking that they would score at some point. CH certainly gave us plenty of credit after the game but having seen you twice this season and a couple of times on TV I think you have enough to get over the line. I doubt Leeds will get to 90 points so you need 36 from 21 games....just over 1.7 points per game.

Sheff Wed were extremely lucky to get a point at Deepdale on NYE and we played well against Arsenal in the Cup last week so I guess this result has been coming for a few weeks.

10 wins 6 draws and 5 defeats will get you over the line and seeing as you hadn't lost since September I would suggest there is little to worry about.

Talking to some Brighton fans in the club before the game and they were very knowledgeable, respectful and good company. 1,201 was a very decent turn out 280 miles away in January.

Finally - I had to laugh at the pic of Deepdale and the comment about not having to come here again......yea a bit like we felt after 3 or 4 trips to the Withdean :)

Good luck for the rest of the season...I think you will make it. Might come back in May and say I told you so!!!

Spot on there and you deserved the 3 points in my opinion
You are one of our away bogey sides and we could still be playing now and not score

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep well done Preston for defending well for the last half hour and falling over like rag dolls at every opportunity,

Indeed there was plenty of that, seemed they tried to slow the game at every opportunity. Despite this credit to them for solid defending, just not our day.

Thought Preston fans were by and large a friendly bunch

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

For me, Preston deserved their win and some of our supporters are being a little myopic if they think we don't engage in some elements of gamesmanship too. First half was pretty even, and we started the second half brightly but the Robinson goal took the game away from us. You almost knew Tomer would miss his pen.
Highlight of the trip for me was the Guild Ale House in town, before and after the game.

Missionary

Jan 14, 2017
Every credit for having a thread congratulating a team that has just beaten you! Not many fans would do that.

Having seen you yesterday I think you'll have more than enough to get up this year. Even at 2-0 down you were really battering away at our defence as you'd expect a team in your position to do but I though we defended brilliantly today.

There's often a turning point in a game and I thought that came just before half time when your left back swung in a peach of a cross. Had Murray got his header anywhere on target I think it would have gone in. 1-1 at half time with your tails up I think the result might have been different.

I rate Knockaert and watched him whilst at Guingamp but he goes down very easily and once the ref had him worked out he stopped. Bruno looked outpaced for the 2nd goal which finished the game really.

All teams are allowed an off day. Yours was yesterday combined with a solid defensive display from us. Keep going, you'll get there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here