Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you do for a living more importantly how much do you earn......

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
30-odd years working (more muddling through really) in banking, 4 different banks, latest (and probably last) for the last 2 years. Not doing the job I was hired to do but a bigger one, should be a higher grade but I'm simply not interested as the next level up seems to be mostly politicking, B/S and sucking up. Might mean more pay (I've never been in anything like trading, mostly back office stuff so not remotely near the daft salaries you read about that piss everyone off - us included frankly) but I don't want the hassle. Wish I'd stopped trying to climb the greasy management pole years ago, life is much less stressful as a result.

Pensions are crap, but hoping I can afford to make an exit in 5 years or so once kids are clear of Uni and set up. The SASTA shitshow is helping me decide and might speed that up even if it means doing something less well paid and local. Current pay a bit below market for the actual role I am doing but happy to live with that given the disadvantages of moving up the ladder.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And I thought that you were the baddie in Thunderbirds

Funnily enough, when I joined Sungard, I had the nickname of the Hood! I cut my hair really short, and they found a picture that definitely was the spit of me.. IMG_0002.JPG

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
What did you strike over? They change the toilet roll brand or were Southern trying to charge passengers for looking in the mirrors?

No, I wanted a second member of safety critical staff to be on the train as it used to be, not least because I knew situations like this would happen.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
30-odd years working (more muddling through really) in banking, 4 different banks, latest (and probably last) for the last 2 years. Not doing the job I was hired to do but a bigger one, should be a higher grade but I'm simply not interested as the next level up seems to be mostly politicking, B/S and sucking up. Might mean more pay (I've never been in anything like trading, mostly back office stuff so not remotely near the daft salaries you read about that piss everyone off - us included frankly) but I don't want the hassle. Wish I'd stopped trying to climb the greasy management pole years ago, life is much less stressful as a result.

Pensions are crap, but hoping I can afford to make an exit in 5 years or so once kids are clear of Uni and set up. The SASTA shitshow is helping me decide and might speed that up even if it means doing something less well paid and local. Current pay a bit below market for the actual role I am doing but happy to live with that given the disadvantages of moving up the ladder.

Actually I had the same sort of experience...when I was youngish I trained as an accountant and made FD and Company accountant at a few companies with all the hassle and stress ...I then got this job which doubled my salary ( as I get a decent car allowance) and my stress and hassle stopped overnight. According to those who knew me at the time reckon I was a nasty ******* who reacted badly to stress, and was a **** to be with, but after moving jobs it fell away from me and I changed my outlook on life. I may still be a **** , but I am a far lesser stressed one.

Now, I have very minimal stress, especially after coming very close to meeting my maker, and the love of a great family. Sounds like sentimental twaddle, but I am a very fortunate man.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
Banking industry futurist. The work is interesting and the remuneration is generous.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Fell into printing sort of by accident nearly 30 years ago and still in it. Currently working as a data programmer/developer in London. Earn (just) enough.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Actually I had the same sort of experience...when I was youngish I trained as an accountant and made FD and Company accountant at a few companies with all the hassle and stress ...I then got this job which doubled my salary ( as I get a decent car allowance) and my stress and hassle stopped overnight. According to those who knew me at the time reckon I was a nasty ******* who reacted badly to stress, and was a **** to be with, but after moving jobs it fell away from me and I changed my outlook on life. I may still be a **** , but I am a far lesser stressed one.

Now, I have very minimal stress, especially after coming very close to meeting my maker, and the love of a great family. Sounds like sentimental twaddle, but I am a very fortunate man.

Not sentimental at all, wish I had the same outlook 20 years ago. The lengths people go to to achieve promotion and progression, and the stress they put themselves under to deal with stuff that is never life-threatening is actually a bit sad. It's all bollocks. I was talking to my daughter in the week who's just got offered a job guarantee at the end of her nursing degree in the summer - starting salary is about £22k. She could vey easily kill someone through making a mistake (even now while doing work placements). I think about that a lot when at work and when talking to my team - all we do is check words and numbers. No-one dies. I don't have anyone in my team on £22k, anywhere in the world.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Never met you, but on the strength of that post above would be pleased and honored to buy you a pint :thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Good for you :)

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Say what you like about the motives for this thread but I find it interesting seeing what other people do / have done for a living. It seems like we have a good mixture on here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here