Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you do for a living more importantly how much do you earn......

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
30-odd years working (more muddling through really) in banking, 4 different banks, latest (and probably last) for the last 2 years. Not doing the job I was hired to do but a bigger one, should be a higher grade but I'm simply not interested as the next level up seems to be mostly politicking, B/S and sucking up. Might mean more pay (I've never been in anything like trading, mostly back office stuff so not remotely near the daft salaries you read about that piss everyone off - us included frankly) but I don't want the hassle. Wish I'd stopped trying to climb the greasy management pole years ago, life is much less stressful as a result.

Pensions are crap, but hoping I can afford to make an exit in 5 years or so once kids are clear of Uni and set up. The SASTA shitshow is helping me decide and might speed that up even if it means doing something less well paid and local. Current pay a bit below market for the actual role I am doing but happy to live with that given the disadvantages of moving up the ladder.

From my post in #6, I would like to similarly add that I'd like to retire early, once mortgage is paid off, hopefullly in five years.
Obviously am not going to leave my wife and myself on poverty line, but have enough put by with pensions to comfortably live on.
Would like to get a job with the NT if possible, outdoor would be nice.
Most of all, move away from the London area and back to Sussex.
Well that's the plan. :D

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Haha, happy to buy you one back as well.....let me know when suits !

I just appreciated the total honesty within the post............yes will do, we (me and the wife) are planning on coming down for a home game soon, will let you know when, normally meet for beers at the North / west lower bar :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From my post in #6, I would like to similarly add that I'd like to retire early, once mortgage is paid off, hopefullly in five years.
Obviously am not going to leave my wife and myself on poverty line, but have enough put by with pensions to comfortably live on.
Would like to get a job with the NT if possible, outdoor would be nice.
Most of all, move away from the London area and back to Sussex.
Well that's the plan. :D

Funnily enough I always thought being a gamekeeper would suit me (or at least something outdoors) but not many around these days. I've been lucky in that I've managed to keep a job in the city going whilst living in Mid Sussex so kind of got the best of both worlds (or did have until recently).

Overpaid the mortgage for several years (low interest rates made this the obvious thing to do) and now clear of that, so what I was paying into that is now going into savings instead and hopefully accelerating my exit from the rat race. Tried to live fairly modestly (no flash cars or big house like many of my colleagues - almost seems like a competition at times) so quite hopeful that I can tell them where to stick it on my terms sometime not too far away.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I just appreciated the total honesty within the post............yes will do, we (me and the wife) are planning on coming down for a home game soon, will let you know when, normally meet for beers at the North / west lower bar :thumbsup:

Oooooh...me too! I was devastated when your avatar was lost ...you know ...that one!

Certainly dazzer6666 seems like someone to share a beer with!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Perfect.....I'm in West Lower anyway, and often pop in the North after the game so either works [emoji106]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I plumb by day and deliver by night [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Work in Financial Services, with Private Clients and not institutions. Got into the industry late - having been graduated for more than 5 years.

I have had 4 promotions in 8 years, stayed with the same institution and now earn frustratingly just enough that the majority of the differential since my last promotion is swept up by HMRC so that it doesn't feel like much of a difference.

Used to feel relatively secure but the industry is changing and I get less time to do the things I enjoy with/for my clients and now spend the majority of my time arse covering for the bank. (C'est la vie.)

Having got married a year ago and thinking about the future/family etc I want to make the next step into something that not only rewards me remuneratively but figuratively too. Not an easy task.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Work in Financial Services, with Private Clients and not institutions. Got into the industry late - having been graduated for more than 5 years.

I have had 4 promotions in 8 years, stayed with the same institution and now earn frustratingly just enough that the majority of the differential since my last promotion is swept up by HMRC so that it doesn't feel like much of a difference.

Used to feel relatively secure but the industry is changing and I get less time to do the things I enjoy with/for my clients and now spend the majority of my time arse covering for the bank. (C'est la vie.)

Having got married a year ago and thinking about the future/family etc I want to make the next step into something that not only rewards me remuneratively but figuratively too. Not an easy task.
Bloody Compliance eh 😂😂😂😂😂😂👍👍

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I have two jobs. By day I am self employed as a website designer/social media consultant, working mainly with sole traders and small businesses - the clients can be great, they can also be demanding and perhaps the pay isn't as good as it could be, but that's my issue with how I tend to market myself...I'm doing alright though.

By night (well, evenings/weekends) I work for a Supermarket - either filling shelves/throwing tins at annoying children or in the warehouse accepting deliveries/unloading lorries. I've done this for about 15 years and it's a guaranteed income for when the day job slows a bit - it keeps the mortgage for the house my ex and I have (which she lives in) going as well as enough for me to continue to do what I want, within reason.

It's not an ideal life, but it'll do for now. Gotta do what you've gotta do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As you know Tony, I am in the building industry. I will soon be 65 and will be cutting back my working hours
Bloody hell, I thought you were much younger.

so my earnings will be less, but I anticipate my declared earnings will be around £20,000 a year.
So you didn't declare that cash I gave you?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here