Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinese football money - effect on BHA?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Assuming *whisper* we get promoted, what do people think will be the effect on Brighton and Hove Albion of all this Chinese money coming into the game?

If the Far East market starts watching the Chinese League, will the Premier League TV money go down?

If clubs start losing their big stars, will it make it easier for us to stay up?

Thoughts?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We could change our kit to all red for luck . . . .

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The Chinese league is turd and will require much more than a sprinkling of star players to make it look like anything but a turd. And it will still stink. Like a turd.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Chinese league is turd and will require much more than a sprinkling of star players to make it look like anything but a turd. And it will still stink. Like a turd.
As long as they limit teams to 4 foreign players, this is correct. They should change the limit to 9 or 10.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Are you the Tim Vickery correspondent of Asian football for TalkTurd?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It will take years for the Chinese to catch up, even if their league becomes full of stars, there is no Asian competition to rival the CL and no kudos to winning the Chinese league either. Money? Chinese market is important but not the be all and end all, it will still be the most important if not the best technically

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If the Far East market starts watching the Chinese League, will the Premier League TV money go down?

Sky money is for only the UK market, they dont resell it. Premier League get more money for other regions, some of that might be affected, but its not much relativly. its shirt sales and other merchandise the far east market is important.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looks like costa is on his way now

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The rights for the PL in China recently set a new record for overseas but it's still relatively small beer compared to UK rights and all other territories combined.

The latest China deal is for £560m over 3 seasons. The current UK deal is for nearly ten times that.

Aside from that, it's difficult to believe that there will be any significant interest any time soon for what seems like some sort of Harlem Globetrotters thing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Chinese government isn't happy about the situation though.

Expect limits on the number of overseas players at some point soon.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Chinese football has less than zero chance of competing with any European league. The most saturated area in the world of people watching football is Europe. Yes Asia is a growing market, but they support European leagues. China will not, in my lifetime (I'm 52) have any sort of impact whatsoever on the English leagues. I am saying that from a point of view and nothing else, but it seems crazy to think otherwise. It's almost like a Packer style football circus, it had no effect on the public watching northern hemisphere. The Chinese will just continue to pump money into a Chinese style football league with very little interest from the outside world. And I'm sure Gus couldn't give a shit whilst he earns his pension.

It'll finally crash and burn with no infrastructure.

Pump3ster

Dec 15, 2014
The football in China is admittedly not at the level of Europe but they are definitely building something for the future, as for their effect on us, it will probably be minimal, unless Knocky wants the money on offer out there. They have bought well when you consider they can only play four foreign players in their team. Look at Axel Witsel, a player at 27 who had the potential to move to a big club either in mainland Europe or England but chose to take a chance and the money to go to China, his move and Oscar's shows China is a becoming a major player in transfers. Don't think so, ask Diego Costa.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
There are only so many World Class players, so if China take even a small proportion away from the Premier League and dilutes the quality, it means a more competitive league and a greater chance of us competing with most clubs not just the bottom half.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The way I read the thread title made me more worried about a Chinese attempt to take over the club should we make it to the Premier League.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's almost like a Packer style football circus, it had no effect on the public watching northern hemisphere.

That's a strange thing to say because Packer had a MASSIVE effect on cricket - northern and southern. Coloured clothing, day/night games, big bucks for players, all-star teams and more flexible contracts, they're all a direct consequence of Packer's vision,

If you're signing the Chinese signings are another Packer in the making, then we're heading for an earthquake in footballing terms,

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That's a strange thing to say because Packer had a MASSIVE effect on cricket - northern and southern. Coloured clothing, day/night games, big bucks for players, all-star teams and more flexible contracts, they're all a direct consequence of Packer's vision,

If you're signing the Chinese signings are another Packer in the making, then we're heading for an earthquake in footballing terms,

I said public watching, it didn't change what we did as the public, I think the clue was in the post.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I said public watching, it didn't change what we did as the public, I think the clue was in the post.

You should have a look at the crowds who go to the IPL games and compare them to traditional test match crowds if you think there's been no change in the watching habits of the public.

And in England, we've gone from about 30 CC games to 14 in order to shoehorn in more 20/20 games. There's been a massive change in our watching habits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here