Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tristram Hunt Labour MP stands down

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Incorrect its called Public Service, that's why they get big pensions, honours etc.. It also costs us tax payers money to hold a bloody election. Nice one Tristam you absolute Hunt

You're aware I assume that the V&A are a public body, part of the Department for Culture, Media, and Sport? And a registered charity?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
You're aware I assume that the V&A are a public body, part of the Department for Culture, Media, and Sport? And a registered charity?

Yes totally aware. If he had any integrity would have waited until the next election. His new salary will be approx £145,000. I bet he will be popular in Stoke?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Incorrect its called Public Service, that's why they get big pensions, honours etc.. It also costs us tax payers money to hold a bloody election. Nice one Tristam you absolute Hunt

So he's supposed to stay an MP for life then? What if he doesn't enjoy? What if it is affecting his family life too much? It really is as simple as "man fancies new job and change of direction"
Good luck to him, and especially as a historian that job must be like a wet dream.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Yes totally aware. If he had any integrity would have waited until the next election. His new salary will be approx £145,000. I bet he will be popular in Stoke?

Director of V&A isn't a position that comes around very often, no guarantee he could have got it next year. It's a bit like the Dale Stephens situation I guess.

He's essentially a historian rather than a politician, and he'll be better at that job as well I think.

Given his narrow margin of victory in the last election, I don't think he was particularly popular in Stoke anyway!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
So he's supposed to stay an MP for life then? What if he doesn't enjoy? What if it is affecting his family life too much? It really is as simple as "man fancies new job and change of direction"
Good luck to him, and especially as a historian that job must be like a wet dream.

No I don't think he has to do the job for life but he was elected to serve his constituents for 5 years. He is p1ssed off the party has not gone in the direction of his choice so has left. I think this is letting down the people who elected him, the party who gave him a chance to represent them in parliament and the taxpayer who has to pay for a bi - election.

I think it is a shabby example of a career politician who was in it for himself and was not wanting to serve his party or constituents

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No I don't think he has to do the job for life but he was elected to serve his constituents for 5 years. He is p1ssed off the party has not gone in the direction of his choice so has left. I think this is letting down the people who elected him, the party who gave him a chance to represent them in parliament and the taxpayer who has to pay for a bi - election.

i dont think the Labour voters of Stoke will miss him. and we really shouldnt start worrying about the cost of bye elections - of democracy - in the grand scheme of things, there's probably a budget allocated for a number every parliament anyway.

this is a really good opportunity for Corbyn to show what he's about, the other bye election is a bit more tricky. this is a naturally Labour area where Tristen polled poorly as an outsider geographically and politically. Labour should be able establish a larger majority for a new candidate under Corbyn, otherwise he really is going to struggle in the next GE.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It's an interesting one. He won and held a seat where the lib dems historically did well (their vote collapsed in 2015)

Despite an onslaught against immigration and eu, the tories and ukip split the vote.

So given what has been said on here by those who are still labour leaning, this should be a shoe in for corbyn led labour now shouldn't it? If they voted in twice someone who is a Blairite and out of touch with stoke, then a momentum man should walk it by that logic.

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
A lot will depend on the candidates, if Labour pick another Blairite they have no chance, it will then be a 2 way fight between UKIP and the tories. It's then a question of wether or not the brexit voters believe Mrs May or they take a punt on UKIP to pile the pressure on the government?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
One by one the Blairite scum are leaving , hopefully Peter VILE on his way with them

Why the need for the vitriol? Always seems to be lefties with this kind of abuse. I may not agree with Corbyn, but I can say that he is principled even if I think he is barking up the wrong tree.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It took the Tories 23 years to win an election, if Labour aren't careful they could go the same way

They need to break away and form a new party

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No place for Tristram types in Corbyn's Labour party especially with political/intellectual heavyweights like Diane Abbott gracing their front bench . . . truly a party of all the talents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here