Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v QPR

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
As I said a couple of weeks ago, I think places 3 to 6 will be totally difference at the end of the season. I reckon only one of the current play-off placed teams will make it. I hope it's Town but I doubt it.

Sheff Wed will make it more so than the other lot

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
'Win our next 4 games and it's over' - I can't believe somebody actually thinks that. We need a dozen or so wins at least.
We need 7 more wins just to get a playoff spot.
Some people need a bit more rationalisation

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
'Win our next 4 games and it's over' - I can't believe somebody actually thinks that. We need a dozen or so wins at least.
There is a certain merit to it though, even if not quite right.

54 points
+ 12 for the 4 wins
+ bumble along at relegation form of a point a game for 18 games = 18

84 points. Not quite enough for automatic promotion, but not far off.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
By the way, win the next 4 and if Rotherham lose the next 4 then the 'teams that can't catch us' thread appears.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought QPR looked pretty good. They certainly showed the rest of the division how to counter Readings tactics. You could see them climbing the table if they manage to bag a decent striker in the January sales, Sylla doesn't look too convincing to me.

As for Reading, the endless knocking it about at the back reminded me of us under Gus, Al-Habsi needs to work on his time wasting though (Casper could give him some hints). I was really impressed with Swift when we played them earlier in the season but he didn't get on the ball much today and was subbed off. I think Holloway out thought them this evening, but they obviously have been doing something right to be in third position.

A great result for us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

We're doomed, I tell thee. McWhoHe OUT!!!

Sorry . . . . flashbacks . . . Zulus . . . . thaasands of them . . .

:O

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
If we don't go up this year, we never will. The last 2 away games for us was daylight robbery. It cant go wrong this time Shirley.

I don't remember any robbery in either game , what I do remember is a willingness to play to the final whistle and and a never say die attitude

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So for 4 wins to get us to 84 pts we would have to be unbeaten for the rest of season and draw 18 in a row!? Ridiculous.
We have probably avoided relegation, the next aim should be 75 pts to probably gain a play-off birth. Then, if we make it in time, aim for 90 pts and probably a top two finish. This season is not over by a long shot, people are getting too carried away.
No not at all.

I didn't say 18 draws in row !!!!!

I said go along at relegation form of a point per game, which works out at 18 points from 18 games !

I also said that the view expressed by the poster had merit, not that it was an absolute truth.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants

Never mind the maths - if we win the next four (big if mind you!), where is the threat coming from?

At that point we would be double digits++ clear of the pack and unless someone went on an unbelievable run we would be unlucky not to limp home with mid-table form from that point onwards.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
So for 4 wins to get us to 84 pts we would have to be unbeaten for the rest of season and draw 18 in a row!? Ridiculous.
We have probably avoided relegation, the next aim should be 75 pts to probably gain a play-off birth. Then, if we make it in time, aim for 90 pts and probably a top two finish. This season is not over by a long shot, people are getting too carried away.

Think you missed the point.

If we beat Preston, Shef Wed, Cardiff and Hudds, that's points swings against 2 of the chasing pack.

We then have 66 points with 18 games to play.

Even if we were to have some kind of disastrous drop in form after that, and maintain that disastrous form for the rest of the season (not going to happen) we would still end up with points tally worthy of an automatic. That was his point, I don't necessarily agree with it. I prefer to operate on x wins needed.

All hope and conjecture though, especially as I think it would be nothing short of a miracle to come away with 12 points out the next 4 games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ok. Maybe i misunderstood. But too get 18pts from 18 games without winning any more games would require them to be all draws. Otherwise you would need some wins, which would total more than the four wins in the original statement.
Of course it would require more than 4 wins. The OP was 'Win our next 4 games and it's over', not win our next 4 but never win another later in the season.

Not that I agree with the statement. If we did win our next 4 (which is very unlikely) we would look unstoppable, but it would still be far from done.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A pedant replies - I didn't try to debate anything with you, I simply asked if he apologised about poogate. And since we're being pedantic, I should point out it was a rhetorical question in the first place, as should have been obvious.

It didn't.
Jeez get a room you two

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we did win our next 4 (which is very unlikely) we would look unstoppable, but it would still be far from done.
It really wouldn't. We'd need about 22 points from 18 games. Has any team ever been 12-13-14 points clear with 18 to play and slumped as dramatically as that? I can't imagine so. Win our next four games and I think even our most pessimistic supporters would have to accept early that we were going up.

Now that said, we absolutely won't be winning our next four games. No chance. I'd take 7 points if we were offered them right now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It really wouldn't.
Maybe, but I'd rather be cautious.
We'd need about 22 points from 18 games.
I don't think we can imagine 88 as the finish line. It could be enough, or just as easily it might not be.

Has any team ever been 12-13-14 points clear with 18 to play and slumped as dramatically as that? I can't imagine so.
Before last season has any team started the season 21 games unbeaten and not gone up? Maybe, but not many. Records get broken, I don't want us to be the first team to blow a 14 lead with 18 to go.

Win our next four games and I think even our most pessimistic supporters would have to accept early that we were going up.
Never!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
It's good fun calling Reading sh1te, but more fun seeing their own fans doing it [emoji23][emoji23]

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/view...id=a11757c72772779287129e0347d30f19&start=140

This post stood out to me:

Oil Royal said:
NEEDED

We need Stam's feet back on the ground
We need the Chinese deal done
We need their money

We need more excitement
We need fans to want to pay to watch us
We need to maintain top 6
We need to beat shite teams like the fakes

Not sure how poor the ownership has been in Reading so far, but its a bit worrying and very cynical if some of them are deliberately wanting Chinese ownership just for the sake of money, but of course they need to beat teams like those 'fakes' (which I think is implied to be us), who not only have a passionate fan as the owner, but also did not rely on money to get where they are but a strong team ethos, a good manager with experience of obtaining promotion and a motivated support, whose STHs would definitely not decide to sit at home eating biscuits if there's the slightest bit of snow. If the Royals continue like this they are going to sink when actually good teams like Derby and Fulham are right on their tails.

Last edited:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
We are not up until it is mathematically impossible for anyone to catch us. Until then, it should be all hands on deck!

I think the point that many are trying to make is that given the entirety of football league history, this actually isn't true. I quite like the idea of finding the "let's count our chickens" point. I'd love to find out what was the biggest leading margin that a club had that said club then blew because of some sort of meltdown. I think someone mentioned Keegan's Newcastle team that blew a 12 point lead as an example but I'd like to know what really was the biggest team meltdown in league history. If we can find that one, then I think it's safe to say if we get past that point, it would take nothing less than something like a plane crash with the entire team aboard to stop us from going up.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
'We need the Chinese deal done' & 'We need their money' - If there are 2 more depressing statements I could ever attribute to the Albion I'd like to see them. Perhaps 'Knockaert puts in transfer request' & "Palace stay up after last ditch penalty'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here